New Stallions?

Discussion and analysis of thoroughbred stallions.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Re: New Stallions?

Postby Joltman » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:09 am

madelyn wrote:Interesting horse, km. But for me it's one thing to unintentionally end up with a turf only runner; it's quite another kind of mistake to intentionally breed one. Turf racing in my area (KY, IN, OH) is just so scarce and unreliable. You'd be hard pressed to get On the Grass, the Right Distance, Get IN the Race, etc etc etc more than 5 or 6 times in a whole racing year. And probably 30% of the time you do have all that, you've paid to ship, got your Lasix, and now the darned race comes off the grass. So no, I would not Pay to breed to a Grass Horse. They would have to pay me and even then I would really have to think about that.

Adena tried it with North Light albeit at a much higher fee. So that is in this horse's favor that he's standing for something much more reasonable. But if you think there's "no turf racing" well around here there is "No Cheap Turf Racing" at all. Breeding a cheap grass horse - well the resulting foal might be a nice sporthorse prospect if you keep it Really Sound through its attempts at racing.

At the risk of another Value Sire with primarily Turf prospects, I just noted Crestwood's standing of Heart to Heart. This guy has had an interesting career - running til 8 and getting better year to year. Still he was SP at 2 with multiple starts at 2 and some sizzle, and has miler type G1 speed - 18 Beyers over 100 is nothing to sneeze at, earnings over $2 mil. . Didn't bring the house down at the weanling sale in Canada, but then who does? English Channel is just getting better and I love Smart Strike all around. Pedigree up close doesn't jump out, but he's worth a look at $5k. Reasonable price for a very, very talented and durable runner. Could breed for more speed or more stamina depending on the mare. He has Cozzene and Smart Strike. Would be interesting to try with Shamadal mare which would bring in some other wonderful turf influences like Riverman, Blushing Room. Or maybe better, something with less MP, ND as he's got his share.
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:12 am

I've got this Bluegrass Cat mare, Diamonds are Blue, and while I do have Thabit and that is a nice cross I do also look around in the unlikely event I have the money to take her to Lexington... in my combing around I've come up with Daredevil at Winstar as a pretty good match. In fact if you look at some of his top horses this mare fills the bill. They have not published a fee (Private) so I don't know what that means at all.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:34 am

Some interesting newbies for 2020:

Breaking Lucky at $5000 in LA
Disco Partner at $5000 in NY
Force the Pass at $4000 in MD

Agree on Heart to Heart.

Mahubah
Freshman Sire

Postby Mahubah » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:41 pm

madelyn wrote:I've got this Bluegrass Cat mare, Diamonds are Blue, and while I do have Thabit and that is a nice cross I do also look around in the unlikely event I have the money to take her to Lexington... in my combing around I've come up with Daredevil at Winstar as a pretty good match. In fact if you look at some of his top horses this mare fills the bill. They have not published a fee (Private) so I don't know what that means at all.

He's still young, but a private fee on a horse who isn't wildly popular would make me wonder if his fertility's too poor for him to be a viable commercial stallion.
"A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher...You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse." C. S. Lewis

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:33 am

Well there is something going on. JC reports Daredevil:
2016 123 mares bred 87 live foals
2017 113 mares bred 81 live foals
2018 140 mares bred 94 live foals
2019 21 mares bred (?!?)

Maybe he got injured and can't easily cover mares anymore or something.

pfrsue
Grade III Winner

Postby pfrsue » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:19 pm

Daredevil is on his way to Turkey, along with Super Saver.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:42 am

Rats. I guess that's why I didn't hear back from the farm. Oh well. Thabit it is for Diamonds are Blue.

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:34 pm

One guy who's got some potential but is not commercial at this point is Funtastic. By More than Ready, he has a good a ff as there is for a sire, and G1sw ability. That is, if you want to play the turf angle again. He looks nicely balanced to me from the pix, Can win at a mile or up to a classic distance and keep going.

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:34 pm

I threw her name out there for Copper Bullet. I love the cross. We'll see if they like her enough.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:32 am

...and Daredevil gets a nice one - Devil Made Me Doit wins first asking.