Take Charge Indy

Discussion and analysis of thoroughbred stallions.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Take Charge Indy

Postby Joltman » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:18 pm

OK, so Winstar stood Take Charge Indy, sent him to Korea, and now he's back at a lower price than when he started. Leading sire in Year 2, 3 in certain categories. Wise move to fetch him.

My question is - why did send him abroad in the first place? He has an impeccable pedigree, G1SW - Derby trail.
What was the knock on him? Coonformation? Size?

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

rudydee
Maiden Special Weight

Re: Take Charge Indy

Postby rudydee » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:09 pm

from BloodHorse 11/23/2016
Florida Derby (gr. I)-winning millionaire Take Charge Indy has been purchased by Korea Racing Authority (KRA) and will stand stud in South Korea in 2017.

"Selling Take Charge Indy was one of the toughest decisions I've had to make in my time as a syndicate manager, but, ultimately, we have to blend the passion we have for our horses with business principles for our shareholders," said WinStar president Elliott Walden. "Sometimes, difficult decisions like this arise for that philosophy. The KRA has had strong interest in the horse, and they simply made an offer that was too good to turn down."

Take Charge Indy stood the last three seasons at WinStar, where he bred an average of 133 mares per year. His first crop of yearlings was led in 2016 by colts selling up to $180,000 and fillies selling up to $170,000.
The 7-year-old A.P. Indy stallion will enter quarantine before shipping to South Korea to take up residence at his new home of Jeju Stud Farm. The deal for Take Charge Indy includes an option for WinStar to buy him back in the future.
"Take Charge Indy is a great-looking son of A.P. Indy, and he's been given a terrific shot, with three large WinStar crops in the pipeline," Walden said. "We wish the KRA the best of luck with him, and the good news is we have the option to bring him back to America in the future."
A graded stakes performer at 2 on the track, Take Charge Indy captured his biggest win in the $1 million Florida Derby (gr. I) in 2012 at Gulfstream Park as a 3-year-old. He went on to capture the Alysheba Stakes (gr. II) at Churchill Downs as a 4-year-old, before retiring with earnings of $1,103,496.
Out of 2013 Broodmare of the Year and grade I-winning race mare Take Charge Lady, regally bred Take Charge Indy is a half-brother to multiple grade I winning-champion Will Take Charge , and is closely related to champion 2-year-old filly Take Charge Brandi.