Not This Time

Discussion and analysis of thoroughbred stallions.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

jimmymac
Newborn

Not This Time

Postby jimmymac » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:47 pm

Despite being a "micro" breeder in the Uk I retain a strong interest in US stallions despite most of them being out of reach financially. Right now I am interested in Not This Time: a son of Giants Causeway, at a reasonable stud fee, and potentially of interest in the Uk with an appropriate distaff line. The ( qualified) success of liams map also encourages my interest. However I have not yet seen any offspring that would be likely to work over here. I also feel that the quality of mares he has received has not been great. Ideally i would like a filly with a reasonable European content in the pedigree.
My question to the forum is what is the opinion of members as to the current view of this stallions potential? What are the downsides? Is he already being sidelined?
I have not seen this stallion in the flesh so I don't know whether his confirmation pics are representative of a moving, living, animal.
I usually come to keeneland for foal and yearling sales but it is difficult to justify the expense if there is no purchase ate the end of the day.

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Re: Not This Time

Postby Joltman » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:29 pm

Well, there's a lot to like starting with his BC Juvenile. Unfortunately he was retired, so it's an unknown. The good news is that he's done decently in the sales (for a $12.5k stud fee) with plenty selling over 4x stud fee. The Taylor made folks got very good mares to him (AEI over 2) so he'll get a great chance. The female family is very solid.

I would wonder though about Euro type runners. He looks to me to be more attractive as a dirt type horse and he looks pretty strong and the best of the female family went dirt.. So I don't know how his foals would go on the turf. I just don't know...

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

jimmymac
Newborn

Postby jimmymac » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:39 am

Of course nobody knows. However , by Giants Causeway and with a strong female family, there is a good chance he will make a stallion. I think Giants Causeway gives him a chance on turf, particularly with an appropriate mare. I will continue to look closely at his progeny.
Incidentally, there are 4, 100%, American breds in the first 2 year old breeze up in the UK. 2 by American Pharoah, ! California Chrome a 1 Street Sense. The latter is often seen in UK sales while the others may well be popular, depending on physicals and performance, despite their all USA pedigrees.

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:21 am

Can understand the Am Pharaoh interest given the extraordinary surprise in his turf runners at 2, but Cali Chrome too - that's interesting. If he can get some attention there who knows where his career might go. Wouldn't be the first stallion to go to Japan and hit a home run

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.