Made You Look

Discussion and analysis of thoroughbred stallions.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Re: Made You Look

Postby Joltman » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:47 pm

Shawklit Won wrote:
Joltman wrote:In this market they could probably go to the connections, offer $75k outright and get him. I say that because given the falloff of auction prices, it will follow the flow through the rest of the breeding season. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of stud fees were not 'firm' until after KeeNov when stallion owners will see if there's much of a market at all. Or deals galore. And to try to start an unproven stallion without a lot of buzz would be nigh to impossible. There are probably dozens of regional stallions that could do very well, but the number of breeders and mares bred will continue to drop for at least another year. It's a tough time to sink a lot of unproven $$$ in this game - not tat it's ever an easy time.

I've thought heretofore that if Monongahela went to stud I might try him. Last of the Princequillo line I think. A G3 GSW as well. But will likely never be among the best, and hence overlooked as a stud prospect.

jm

Thanks. Interesting post, and probably correct. I am glad that Made You Look has won a couple of graded stakes. Looks like he needs all the help he can get. Maybe they will try to run him for another year, his 7 year old season.

Monongahela is a son of Mineshaft. He does have Princequillo in his pedigree.
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:26 pm

Joltman wrote:
Shawklit Won wrote:
Joltman wrote:In this market they could probably go to the connections, offer $75k outright and get him. I say that because given the falloff of auction prices, it will follow the flow through the rest of the breeding season. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of stud fees were not 'firm' until after KeeNov when stallion owners will see if there's much of a market at all. Or deals galore. And to try to start an unproven stallion without a lot of buzz would be nigh to impossible. There are probably dozens of regional stallions that could do very well, but the number of breeders and mares bred will continue to drop for at least another year. It's a tough time to sink a lot of unproven $$$ in this game - not tat it's ever an easy time.

I've thought heretofore that if Monongahela went to stud I might try him. Last of the Princequillo line I think. A G3 GSW as well. But will likely never be among the best, and hence overlooked as a stud prospect.

jm

Thanks. Interesting post, and probably correct. I am glad that Made You Look has won a couple of graded stakes. Looks like he needs all the help he can get. Maybe they will try to run him for another year, his 7 year old season.

Monongahela is a son of Mineshaft. He does have Princequillo in his pedigree.

Oops! Sorry! Just finally noticed my ridiculous mistakes here.

I had Monongahela mixed up with Mongolian Groom, who is a son of Hightail, who is a son of Mineshaft.

Monongahela is a son of K One King, who is from the Princequillo sire line.

I think that I finally got it right.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:00 pm

There are a couple of races at Colonial Downs on the 26th of August that may be good spots for Made You Look. One is the 9F Williamsburg Overnight Handicap with a purse of 45K and the 5.5F Da Hoss Stakes with a purse of 50K. If Made You Look is finding stakes and allowance races at the big tracks too difficult to win these days, and small track allowance races are not open to him, then races like these might be the answer for him, even though he is past his best now.

People probably forget just how fast a horse Made You Look was starting out. He broke his maiden with a 6F time of 1:08:23 in only his 2nd race as a 2 year old. In his first race, he finished 2nd in a 5F race with a winning time of :55 and change. He won a grade 2 stakes race at age 2 with a time of 1:35 and change for a mile.

Though he has lost some of his speed, I suspect that he would be very competitive in both of those races at Colonial Downs on the 26th of August. I think the purses would be enough to be worth shipping Made You Look to the Virginia race track.

I suspect that Made You Look's handlers would prefer to try the 1 Mile 300K Tapit Stakes on September 9th at Kentucky Downs. Might be worth a try.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:37 pm

Shawklit Won wrote:There are a couple of races at Colonial Downs on the 26th of August that may be good spots for Made You Look. One is the 9F Williamsburg Overnight Handicap with a purse of 45K and the 5.5F Da Hoss Stakes with a purse of 50K. If Made You Look is finding stakes and allowance races at the big tracks too difficult to win these days, and small track allowance races are not open to him, then races like these might be the answer for him, even though he is past his best now.

People probably forget just how fast a horse Made You Look was starting out. He broke his maiden with a 6F time of 1:08:23 in only his 2nd race as a 2 year old. In his first race, he finished 2nd in a 5F race with a winning time of :55 and change. He won a grade 2 stakes race at age 2 with a time of 1:35 and change for a mile.

Though he has lost some of his speed, I suspect that he would be very competitive in both of those races at Colonial Downs on the 26th of August. I think the purses would be enough to be worth shipping Made You Look to the Virginia race track.

I suspect that Made You Look's handlers would prefer to try the 1 Mile 300K Tapit Stakes on September 9th at Kentucky Downs. Might be worth a try.

Just found out that there might be an 85K stakes race at Saratoga called the Lure Stakes on the 7th of September for horses that have not won a stakes race this year. With his graded stakes wins, Made You Look could probably enter that one if his handlers want him to. It would probably be an easier spot than the 300K Tapit Stakes at Kentucky Downs. Besides that, Made You Look is probably still at Saratoga where his last race was. One clue could be where his next workout is. If it is at Saratoga, then the Lure Stakes might be his next race.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:07 pm

Oops! I just noticed that the Lure Stakes is for horses that have not won a graded stakes race this year as opposed to any stakes race which is what I wrote on my last post. That could change things a little bit. There are a lot of good horses that have not won a graded stakes race this year, so the competition should still be pretty tough in that race.

I think I would prefer to go for the Tapit Stakes at Kentucky Downs as it is open to any horse that hasn't won a stakes race this year, any stakes race. With the 300K purse, any finish close to winning should pay well.

There is a conditioned (never won 3 races other than) AOC race with a purse of 78K on the 27th of August at Saratoga, but Made You Look could enter if he is willing to have an 80K claiming price on him. I am not sure that they would want to go that low, but maybe.

Also, there is an AOC race with a purse of 80K at Saratoga on the 23rd of August for horses that have never won a graded stakes race and have not won any race this year. Made You Look could enter that one too if he (his barn) is willing to have a 100K claiming tag on him. That sounds better than the AOC race on the 27th.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:20 pm

It looks like Made You Look might be through racing, at least for this year. Made You Look last raced on the 29th of July and hasn't been entered in a race or had a workout since. So, my guess is that he probably has some type of injury. He will be 7 years old next year, so my guess is that they will be looking for a stallion farm for him.

BTW, apparently that 1 mile AOC race on turf for non graded stakes winners who have not won a race this year did not fill. That race, which was supposed to be on 8/23, is not listed on the 23rd of August card. Made You Look could have entered if his handlers were willing to have a 100K claiming tag on him, even though he has won graded stakes races.
Shawklit Won.

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:59 pm

Shawklit Won wrote:It looks like Made You Look might be through racing, at least for this year. Made You Look last raced on the 29th of July and hasn't been entered in a race or had a workout since. So, my guess is that he probably has some type of injury. He will be 7 years old next year, so my guess is that they will be looking for a stallion farm for him.

BTW, apparently that 1 mile AOC race on turf for non graded stakes winners who have not won a race this year did not fill. That race, which was supposed to be on 8/23, is not listed on the 23rd of August card. Made You Look could have entered if his handlers were willing to have a 100K claiming tag on him, even though he has won graded stakes races.

Well all of the Colonial races are off the turf, off the track, off the premises. In the words of Bill Murray on the first day after Groundhog Day, "There gone!"
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:57 pm

Looks like I was wrong again. Made You Look had a workout today at Churchill Downs. So, apparently he will be racing again somewhere.

As far as the stakes and handicap races at Colonial Downs go, MYL wasn't nominated for those races anyway. Those races were my idea, but it looks like Made You Look's connections were not interested.

It should be interesting to see where Made You Look will race next.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:01 pm

Made You Look is nominated in at least 3 stakes races coming up. One is the 115K Opening Verse Overnight Stakes at Churchill Downs on 9/3/20. Also the 750K Tourist Mile at Kentucky Downs on 9/7/20 and the 300K Tapit Stakes on 9/9/20, also at Kentucky Downs. We should find out pretty soon which one he will be entered in unless there is another race he will be in.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:11 pm

Made You Look is entered in the 115K Opening Verse Overnight Stakes on next Thursday, 9/3, at Churchill Downs. That means that he won't be entered in either of the stakes races he is nominated for at Kentucky Downs, unless he is scratched from the race on 9/3. Might be a good race for MYL. There is a bunch of big money stakes races on turf coming up, so he may get a softer field than usual in 100K+ stakes races, hopefully. Good luck Made You Look. Hope he does well.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:57 am

Made You Look was scratched from the Opening Verse Overnight Stakes as a result of the race being taken off the turf. He also isn't entered in the 2 big money races at Kentucky Downs (750K Tourist Mile and 300K Tapit Stakes) that he was nominated for. We will see where he races next I guess.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:43 pm

Made You Look finished second in a $95,000 allowance/optional claiming race today at Churchill Downs. Not bad for a 6 year old. I guess he is not through yet. Made You Look along with a couple of other horses in that race were in for a $150,000 claiming tag. Nobody was claimed.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:30 pm

Is Made You Look retired from racing? He is now 8 years old and has not been on the work tab. He did win a couple of graded stakes races and is a son of More Than Ready, a good stallion, so he should be able to be a stallion some place if he is done racing.

Anyone here know what is going on with Made You Look?
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:39 pm

Shawklit Won wrote:Is Made You Look retired from racing? He is now 8 years old and has not been on the work tab. He did win a couple of graded stakes races and is a son of More Than Ready, a good stallion, so he should be able to be a stallion some place if he is done racing.

Anyone here know what is going on with Made You Look?

To answer my own question, I just found out that Made You Look is now at stud in a place called Haras Gran Muneca in Argentina. He was sold to them this year. Hope he has a nice life there.
Shawklit Won.