Made You Look

Discussion and analysis of thoroughbred stallions.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Made You Look

Postby Shawklit Won » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:07 pm

Stallion prospect? Made You Look won a graded stakes race at 2 and another graded stakes at 3 years old. He started out as a good turf horse and it looked like he was going to win a lot of graded stakes races. Unfortunately he lost some time (10 months) after his last race as a 3 year old (in July) and 11 months at the end of his 4 year old season (August). Obviously there were some injuries that caused those long layoffs.

Made You Look fell off form after that, probably due to the injuries and other wear and tear. At least he has not been entered in a straight claiming race so far although he had a $150,000 tag on him in an allowance optional claiming race. In another AOC race since then, there was not a price put on him. He was born in 2014 so is 6 years old now with 20 races under his belt.

His pedigree looks pretty good with More Than Ready as his sire and Unbridled's Song as his BM sire. His grand dam is Serena's Song.

Wonder what his stud chances are?
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Re: Made You Look

Postby Shawklit Won » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:06 pm

In Made You Look's last race, an AOC race at Churchill Downs, Spectacular Gem was the lone speed and won the race by three lengths. The second place horse beat the 3rd place horse by a head. The 3rd place horse beat Made You Look by a neck. So, Made You Look finished 4th but could easily have finished 2nd with a little more racing luck. More You Look broke slowly in last place in that race.

Made You Look may never win another graded stakes race, but he still can be very competitive in allowance races in major racetracks like Churchill Downs, Belmont, or Santa Anita. I suspect that his next race might be an AOC race at Saratoga on the 29th of July. That race is in the condition book. There is also the Bernard Baruch Handicap on the 26th of July at Saratoga. I wish him luck wherever he races next.
Shawklit Won.

Mahubah
Freshman Sire

Postby Mahubah » Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:59 pm

Possibility in a regional market if his conformation is A-OK and he's at least medium-sized, but export more likely given that he's a turfer. No chance in Kentucky.
"A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher...You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse." C. S. Lewis

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:13 pm

Mahubah wrote:Possibility in a regional market if his conformation is A-OK and he's at least medium-sized, but export more likely given that he's a turfer. No chance in Kentucky.

Thanks for the response. You are probably right. I am hoping for Florida or New York. Pedigree and graded stakes wins might help.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:49 pm

Oh oh. Not only is Made You Look not nominated to the Grade 2 Bernard Baruch Stakes, but he has not shown a public workout since his last race on the 26th of June which is not for 16 days so far.

Could be reasons for this. His new trainer, Philip Bauer, sometimes does space out his workouts, and owner (Rigney Racing) I think has his own private racetrack and works his horses there sometimes. Also, trainer Bauer may be looking for an easier spot for him than the Grade 2 Bernard Baruch Stakes. An allowance race at Ellis Park should certainly be a softer spot than any race that Made You Look has raced in before. Don't know if Ellis Park has any open allowance races or any with the condition of having never won 4 races other than...

If Made You Look is injured again, then they might as well retire him to stud, but I hope we see him racing again sometime soon. Of course, I don't want to see him in a claiming race.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:55 am

We may be seeing Made You Look racing again after all. He had a workout yesterday at Churchill Downs. Where? Maybe at Saratoga on the 29th of July in an allowance race, or maybe at Ellis Park on August 2nd in a mile 100K preview stakes race, a prep race for the Kentucky Downs meet. We shall see.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:13 am

Made You Look is nominated to the Kentucky Downs Preview Tourist Mile Stakes, a 1 mile 100K turf race at Ellis Park on August 2nd. Graded stakes winners are preferred, so Made You Look should be able to enter if his handlers want him to.
Shawklit Won.

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:41 pm

It would be great if he got a shot in a regional market somewhere with a chance at a few decent mares in his first year. And if he got a few hits, who knows. I'm thinking of a guy like Hightail, who had a shot at a BC Classic win til the tragic breakdown. Calumet picked him up and there's some potential there.

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:10 pm

Joltman wrote:It would be great if he got a shot in a regional market somewhere with a chance at a few decent mares in his first year. And if he got a few hits, who knows. I'm thinking of a guy like Hightail, who had a shot at a BC Classic win til the tragic breakdown. Calumet picked him up and there's some potential there.

jm

Thanks. Hightail is an unusual story. Not many stallions would have had his success starting out with so few mares to breed to. I hope that Made You Look will be bred to many more mares than Hightail was starting out, and decent ones too.

Made You Look was owned by Three Chimney's Farm, but was sold. That doesn't look good. He probably will end up in a regional market. I wouldn't mind Florida where he might get some good breeding opportunities. Might end up in another country.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:30 pm

Turns out that Made You Look is entered in that AOC race at Saratoga on the 29th of July. There is also a 150K claiming tag on him. Don't know if anyone will be willing to buy him for $150,000. If someone does, then I hope he plans to stand him for a long time on a nice farm someplace.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:47 pm

Shawklit Won wrote:Turns out that Made You Look is entered in that AOC race at Saratoga on the 29th of July. There is also a 150K claiming tag on him. Don't know if anyone will be willing to buy him for $150,000. If someone does, then I hope he plans to stand him for a long time on a nice farm someplace.

Two horses in that 7/29 allowance race have 150K tags on them and the other horse that does needs the claiming price to enter the race because he has won too much to qualify for the race otherwise. Not so for Made You Look. One of the conditions is for horses that have never won 5 races and Made You Look has won 4 races (two graded stakes, one allowance race, and a maiden race), so he does not need the tag to get into the race. Maybe they just want to see if there is any interest in someone buying the horse.

$150,000 is a lot of money for a 6 year old horse that has not won recently.
Shawklit Won.

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:00 am

In this market they could probably go to the connections, offer $75k outright and get him. I say that because given the falloff of auction prices, it will follow the flow through the rest of the breeding season. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of stud fees were not 'firm' until after KeeNov when stallion owners will see if there's much of a market at all. Or deals galore. And to try to start an unproven stallion without a lot of buzz would be nigh to impossible. There are probably dozens of regional stallions that could do very well, but the number of breeders and mares bred will continue to drop for at least another year. It's a tough time to sink a lot of unproven $$$ in this game - not tat it's ever an easy time.

I've thought heretofore that if Monongahela went to stud I might try him. Last of the Princequillo line I think. A G3 GSW as well. But will likely never be among the best, and hence overlooked as a stud prospect.

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:10 pm

Joltman wrote:In this market they could probably go to the connections, offer $75k outright and get him. I say that because given the falloff of auction prices, it will follow the flow through the rest of the breeding season. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of stud fees were not 'firm' until after KeeNov when stallion owners will see if there's much of a market at all. Or deals galore. And to try to start an unproven stallion without a lot of buzz would be nigh to impossible. There are probably dozens of regional stallions that could do very well, but the number of breeders and mares bred will continue to drop for at least another year. It's a tough time to sink a lot of unproven $$$ in this game - not tat it's ever an easy time.

I've thought heretofore that if Monongahela went to stud I might try him. Last of the Princequillo line I think. A G3 GSW as well. But will likely never be among the best, and hence overlooked as a stud prospect.

jm

Thanks. Interesting post, and probably correct. I am glad that Made You Look has won a couple of graded stakes. Looks like he needs all the help he can get. Maybe they will try to run him for another year, his 7 year old season.

Monongahela is a son of Mineshaft. He does have Princequillo in his pedigree.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:54 pm

4th place today. Kind of disappointing because it looked for awhile like Made You Look was going to get up for the place. A couple of horses went by him toward the end of the trace. Final time was 1:41:35 for the 1 1/16 mile race. MYL was in with some good horses.

If his handlers want to keep racing him, maybe they should run him in allowance races in smaller tracks like Laurel or Parx or someplace where the purses are in the 30k's or 40K's. At Saratoga or Belmont or even Churchill Downs, it is too hard to find a soft spot.
Shawklit Won.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:01 pm

I should have looked at the condition books before commenting that Made You Look maybe should try allowance races at small tracks. After looking through condition books of some of the smaller tracks, there doesn't look like there are any allowance races at those tracks that MYL would qualify for, thanks to his graded stakes wins and his allowance win. He simply has won too many allowance and stakes races to qualify for those allowance races that all seem to have conditions (never won 2 races other than, never won 3 races other than, etc.).

A stakes race that he could race in is the Tapit Stakes at Kentucky Downs on September 9th. It is restricted to horses that have not won a stakes race this year. That would eliminate some good horses, but the competition could still be very tough. The purse is 300K. Big purses in that Kentucky Downs meet.
Shawklit Won.