Bolo Retired

Discussion and analysis of thoroughbred stallions.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Bolo Retired

Postby Shawklit Won » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:06 pm

Bolo, at the age of 8 is now retired. I remember that he was a formidable 3 year old in the season of American Pharoah and Dortmund. He was gelded sometime after his Kentucky Derby effort.

Here is something that makes me wonder. Bolo was gelded after he was already a graded stakes winner. Of course, that killed any chance for a stud career. I wonder why his handlers would do that? It seems to me that he was doing pretty well on the racetrack before they gelded him.

Anyway, I hope that Bolo ends up on a nice farm and has a long, happy life.
Shawklit Won.

jagger
Grade III Winner

Re: Bolo Retired

Postby jagger » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:27 pm

Does seem strange to geld him, even after he had proven himself on the track....he could've made way more money for his handlers in the breeding shed than on the track. There must be something else going on that we aren't aware of ......

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:30 pm

jagger wrote:Does seem strange to geld him, even after he had proven himself on the track....he could've made way more money for his handlers in the breeding shed than on the track. There must be something else going on that we aren't aware of ......

Maybe he was very difficult, but if that was it, then it sure took awhile to find that out.
Shawklit Won.

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:30 pm

I thought he was a gelding pretty early on, if I remember correctly he was gelded by the time he ran in the Derby.

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:38 pm

geowarrior wrote:I thought he was a gelding pretty early on, if I remember correctly he was gelded by the time he ran in the Derby.

You could be right, although Bolo won an allowance race in his next race after the Kentucky Derby. I looked at the chart of that allowance race and it had Bolo as a 3 year old colt. It also had Bolo as a colt in the chart of the Arcadia Stakes that he won.

I have been looking through old articles about Bolo, but I haven't found anything about when he was gelded. Anyone know?
Shawklit Won.