Daredevil

Discussion and analysis of thoroughbred stallions.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

madelyn

Daredevil

Postby madelyn » Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:30 pm

Probably viewed as another Ho-Hum son of More Than Ready, Daredevil looks to have started out at $12,500, sliding down to $7500, with not enough excitement for his foals so off to Turkey he went.... and now two first crop daughters have run 1-2 in the Kentucky Oaks. Swiss Skydiver was a good buy by McPeek, for $35k. I don't know what this KY market has against Halo line horses. I, for one, Love to see Halo on top of a stallion's pedigree.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Re: Daredevil

Postby Joltman » Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:27 pm

I'm with you Madelyn. The market needs some 'other' blood than MP/ND. Halo has stamina and More Than Ready has been a stellar sire for years. I'm sure he could be 'bought back' for a price...

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

Tappiano
Grade II Winner

Postby Tappiano » Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:49 am

It's a Winstar failure, he went from 140 mares to 21.
Regardless of the pedigree, he was a one time stakes winner at age two who didn't do squat at age three, so what's the marketing angle when you have 20+ other stallions at the same farm?

The fact he stood in Ky at all is a testament to the owners but it was a double edged sword.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:10 pm

.... and now Swiss Skydiver has won the Preakness. Anyone thinking Daredevil might come back to the US?

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:38 am

Just goes to show you that some of these farms (Winstar is the leading example) give up on stallions far too early, likely because they have a conveyor belt of colts. The next hot thing.

I like seeing these stallions do well after being sold though. Winstar had unloaded Take Charge Indy rather quick too, and then acquired him back, but I seem to recall reading that Turkey was quite keen to get Daredevil and are quite happy with him... that being said - I am sure there is a price they couldn't refuse.

When Daredevil retired, I remember thinking "oh boy, another one of these lightly raced horses...." and here we are with two very impressive fillies in Swiss Skydiver and Shedaresthedevil.

Mahubah
Freshman Sire

Postby Mahubah » Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:50 pm

The market for young stallions is heavily driven by the commercial yearling market, and Daredevil's first yearlings didn't sell very well even though his weanling average the year before had been quite good. (The Halo line has never been known for show-ring pretty.) Combine that with getting just 21 mares the year before his first runners came out and a modest first-year crop performance from a horse expected to get speedy 2yos (apparently, no one noticed that aside from Daredevil himself, the best runners from his immediate female family took a little while to hit their peak), and it's not all that surprising that the farm took the first good offer that came along. Until racing performance starts to outweigh flashy yearlings and breeders start becoming less risk-averse, stallions in their second through fourth or fifth seasons (depending on when their runners could be reasonably expected to show something) are going to be a tough sell compared to the big names coming fresh off the track.
"A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher...You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse." C. S. Lewis

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:12 pm

Seems also that Swiss Skydiver has a younger brother that sold for...... $4K!!

Mahubah
Freshman Sire

Postby Mahubah » Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:45 pm

According to the Paulick Report, Daredevil's on his way back to the US.
"A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher...You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse." C. S. Lewis

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:24 am

Yes, he will be at Lane's End for $25K. I liked him better at $7500 :D

I would imagine that now he will see a much deeper and better quality group of mares. Which might be terrific or just overwhelming. We'll have to wait and see.

Toccet02
Leading Sire

Postby Toccet02 » Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:53 am

So happy they "got him back" physically that is--Turkey is retaining actual ownership.
All shouting does is make you lose your voice.
----Arrested Development

Shawklit Won
Starters Handicap

Postby Shawklit Won » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:00 pm

Shanghai Bobby is another one that may have been exported too soon. His progeny seem to be doing pretty well since he left for Japan. His son, Extra Hope, just won the Native Diver Stakes (G3) today at Del Mar.
Shawklit Won.