Uncle Mo as a sire of sires

Discussion and analysis of thoroughbred stallions.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Uncle Mo as a sire of sires

Postby Cree » Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:45 am

Uncle Mo has three sons in the top 5 of freshman sires: Laoban, Nyquist and Outwork. Nyquist has 2 G1 winners in Vequist and Gretzky the Great. No shock to see him with some good ones, he was very athletic and has a lovely pedigree.
Laoban has a G1 winner in Simply Ravishing.

I find that mighty impressive, and wonderful to see that sire line carry on with some good ones.

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Re: Uncle Mo as a sire of sires

Postby Joltman » Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:56 am

Can't argue with real results. UMo was prolific at two and little surprise he passed that on through his sons. But his 3yos can also run - a lot to be excited about.

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

rudydee
Maiden Special Weight

Postby rudydee » Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:28 pm

Uncle Mo- Sire of sires?
Like the father, his sons at stud seem to have had brilliant but yet very short racing careers.
Is that what you are really looking to pass on?

Cree
Eclipse Champion

Postby Cree » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:54 pm

Isn’t that the way the industry is going?

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:31 pm

I think the jury is out on soundness. He's had his share of brilliant flameouts. But overall he averages (only 6 crops of Racing age) 8.2 starts so far - but many of these are young and still running or just getting going. And I'm sure a lot of Uncle Mo fillies are heading to the breeding shed early - from top lines.

Ironically the success of his youngsters has pushed the next generation into the barns of the Bafferts and Pletchers et al who will push them to be great 2yos and maybe carry it through the 3yo campaign. But another trainer might have the horse peaking later and lasting longer.

jm

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:48 pm

If you want to see how sound (or not) a stallion's offspring are, look at the geldings. Fast entires will be shuffled off to the shed regardless of whether they could return, because returning at a lower grade reduces their perceived value at stud. Fillies who get an injury early or in training are likely to go straight to the shed without racing. Fillies who are allowance-grade but not stakes class will run through their conditions and be retired as their owners don't want to lose them in a claim, especially if they have stakes-class sisters. Geldings will race on as long as they are able and are making money.

At least 10 of Uncle Mo's geldings have made more than 30 starts, and 2 of those have made more than 50 starts. Given that his first crop is 7, and he has almost 500 foals who are 2, 3, and 4, I expect that number to rise. Overall, I don't see any indication at this stage that they're flaming out super early.

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:26 am

I think that's a great summary KM. Because of the commercial breeding practice, many of the older horses will (esp fillies) will never have more than 10 starts. It would be interesting to do a stat analysis of a couple sires and see what the graph curve looks like and what percent of the geldings make, say, 25 starts or more.