Cozzene

Discussion and analysis of thoroughbred stallions.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

lisamurf
Newborn

Cozzene

Postby lisamurf » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:07 pm

Tell me about Cozzene. I have an opportunity to breed my mare to a grandson. He is Cozzene on top, Holy Bull on bottom at 2x
My mare is Archarcharch and Storm Cat

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Re: Cozzene

Postby Joltman » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:07 pm

Cozzene was a top sire of quality horses esp on turf. But being by a grandson says nothing about race ability. Now his son Mizzen Mast is a great value sire with the right mare ($7500) - my opinion.
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

lisamurf
Newborn

Postby lisamurf » Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:53 am

Mizzen Mast is his sire. Why do you like him so much? Tell me more. The stallion I’m looking at is Killybegs Captain. Just retired to stud and his owners offered him to my mare, Nikki’s Pick.

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:00 pm

Mizzen Mast is near the end of his stud career but it's been solid if not spectacular. (https://www.bloodhorse.com/stallion-reg ... izzen-mast) see the statistical summary for performance. He's had many Graded winners Incl G1s, and a few are widely recognized and his earnings index is a solid 1.3.

Killybegs Captain had some real run, G2 Sprint winner. The DeFrancis Dash is well regarded in the mid-Atlantic (used to be G1). I love the fact that he went against stakes company and consistently ran EB numbers over 100 (12 out of the last 13) With 29 starts, over half in the money, it means soundness. He raced at 2 but didn't break maiden til dropping to claiming ranks (not elite). Like his sire, he won't have a rabid following going for him to create buzz - not having won the G1 in the big markets (NY, KY, CA). I didn't even see a page for him in the Stallion Register. He only sold for $20k as a yearling, which means he wasn't an early developer, knock-your-eyes out type of yearling but may have developed well. I don't know if the Mizzen Masts ran much at 2 but he did get a BCup filly 2yo champion.

So as always, it depends on your intent. If your goal is to ride, and he's attractive, solid, good mover, sound, athletic etc. you can't argue with the price. If you want to race your foals, that's something else. At least the mare was a winner, and made some decent $ in 6 starts. But that means a huge investment of time and money, and the odds are against you before you get a whiff at getting your investment back.

Commerically, you're really climbing a hill. If the sire is only getting going, you're dependent on the stallion owner creating buzz for the horse and getting lots of mares to him to get prices up. That's almost impossible in the COVID era unless you're in Ky. Pedigree-wise, he has the advantage of being mostly an outcross closeup to MP, ND, AP Indy, etc. A funny thing is that his best runs were on dirt while Mizzen Mast threw quality G1 runners on turf. (Don't know if he even tried it). Arch Arch Arch wasn't a great Broodmare sire, but being by Arch, could have been a turf influence. There's a lot to like about him, as a regional sire and at least he wasn't a plodder.

Of course the physical and attitude are everything and if you have that in both mare and stallion and they match well, maybe you'll get a runner. Folks on the forum know a lot about the Ky stallions so maybe they can give you an idea about MMast as well.

Let us know how it goes...

jm

ps - where's Killybegs Captain standing.
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

lisamurf
Newborn

Postby lisamurf » Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:30 pm

Thanks for all the feedback. You’ve given me lots to think about. I’ll let you know what I decide.