Stallion Seasons

Discussion and analysis of thoroughbred stallions.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Stallion Seasons

Postby Joltman » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:48 am

It's that time of year again. Some would say that the early bird gets the worm, but I kinda like to wait til January. Anyway, this year Starquine put out a calendar on their home page of their upcoming season auctions so for those, it's easy to keep track what's coming. There are a Lot of them out there actually - https://www.starquine.com/

While most are NG seasons occasionally you'll find one LFSN, or a breedback the next year. Happy hunting...

JM
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

Tappiano
Grade II Winner

Re: Stallion Seasons

Postby Tappiano » Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:22 pm

It doesn't cost much to convert NG to LFSN and you can get 45-90 day insurance on the foal. It will also cover you in case the stallion isn't available, something that would be of concern for a stallion who is likely to see 200+ mares. You set the value so it doesn't have the be the regular stud fee either, you can do it for what you paid.

If I ever went back into breeding, I'd be scouring these auctions for sure. I think the first time I bid on one I was getting ready to watch a concert and the people around me wondered why I was giving out 4 figure amounts :lol: .

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:07 pm

Yes, that's a plan to get a really good deal out of the auctions. It seems to me that by the time the Jan auctions roll around, there are bargains to be had.

Tappiano
Grade II Winner

Postby Tappiano » Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:17 am

geowarrior
Leading Sire

Postby geowarrior » Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:45 am

Some very, very nice choices indeed.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:20 am

Lovely just wish I could sort it by location.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

rudydee
Maiden Special Weight

Postby rudydee » Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:55 pm

Tappiano-

`It doesn't cost much to convert NG to LFSN`

What is the process to converting a NG season to a LFSN?

Tappiano
Grade II Winner

Postby Tappiano » Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:59 am

I used Limestone I think and they went to Catlin because Limestone is referenced on the cover page of the policy ( it's on my computer)
Policy type:
Barrenness w/ Stallion Availability - I insured for the amount of the season although I could've insured it for more (advertised stud fee). There is verbiage that says "fair market value" but it would always be worth at least the advertised price of the season.
Coverage ends 45 days after foal is born.
There must be at least one covering otherwise they refund the policy.

Availability terms that they will pay you the value you have on the policy
The death of the Stallion; or
2. The temporary total disablement of the Stallion to service mares; or
3. The permanent total disablement of the Stallion to service mares; or
4. The inability of the Stallion to produce any live sperm at the time of said service
This wouldn't be covered if she got in foal and then slipped but the other rider would cover that (prospective foal)

The price I paid for the season through the TRF + this policy worked out to be slightly more than 50% of the advertised stud fee.

Third year stallions tend to sell for less (especially if they are in the 10-30K range) so if you see one you really like and is a good fit for your mare that's the best opportunity to get a better deal than the farm might make you. I haven't bought a season in many years but I do like to watch them to see where the action is. Once they close they take the listings down but if you're quick you can see what they sold for.

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:15 pm

For what it's worth, I took a snapshot of the Ohio Sale prices about an hour before close of most. They typically remain low except for the top guys. Gives you an idea of what you might pay in one of the later auctions. If you want a price for one of the stallions send me a pm.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:28 am

I used to buy these and while I never paid much I only really ever got one live foal from seasons I bought. I've done better with negotiating directly with the farms for discounts. The stud farms generally will work a deal for a really good mare/cross and multiple mares (to same farm not necessarily same stallion). Package deals get bigger discounts. pm me if I can help anyone out...

Tappiano
Grade II Winner

Postby Tappiano » Sat Dec 25, 2021 6:50 pm

Stud farms are far more willing to make deals to breeders who have multiple mares not someone with one mare. There are plenty of agents who can make deals and get commission that is better than what the farms will do. If you didn't convert your season to live foal that doesn't mean these auctions aren't a good deal, it just means that for whatever reason your mares didn't conceive. Of course Spendthrift is all about big books so they are more likely before they ship their stallions out to make you a really good deal but you are after free seasons or low cost seasons not shopping for a great deal off a 10-15K season. Anything more than free for Cinco Charlie wasn't a good deal as they were already shopping for a new home for him when they made you whatever deal you got.

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Sun Dec 26, 2021 4:27 pm

Some of the ones they give up to go overseas have been great bargains. So much so that they brought them back, sometimes at a higher price, like Take Charge Indy. In some cases the farm may have not had the right mares to really the stallion a great start, despite being well bred or good runners. The track is the only real proving ground.

jm

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:21 am

Yes they deal on mare packages which is why I group the client mares and negotiate packages.