Golden Pal

Discussion and analysis of thoroughbred stallions.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

johnrr88
Weanling

Golden Pal

Postby johnrr88 » Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:39 pm

Any opinions on this lad?
Obviously the record was fantastic …I assume he did not retire sound.
I have a Candy Ride mare who needs some size . I dont usually go to first year sires, but he could be the real thing .
Breeding to race.

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Re: Golden Pal

Postby Joltman » Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:11 am

I can't say anything about GP as an individual or his promise as a sire. But since you're breeding to race, what you do get with GP I think is that classic unproven first or second year, overpriced try-to-be-commercial stud fee, where the farm slugs as many good mares as possible to get the sales numbers up an make their money now on the high-risk first year stallion and hold on til the second hoping he throws decent foals. (Of course the publicity machines will make the newborns all look like the next Secreatariat with breeder quotes.) But invariably that fee will fall after a couple years, and maybe plummet until and unless (rare case) his first crop takes off at which point he is 'made'.

From what I see, since he was all speed on the turf (and early speed) if your mare matches that, then it makes sense in the long run to give him a try if the other aspects of breeding make sense (conformation/balance, breeding, etc.) That turf sire market in the US is even tougher to crack though as there's always a younger, faster one showing up this year or next. And unless GP hits the home run early, he may be in Korea before you know it.

Because you're breeding to race, I should think there are absolutely great deals out there on consistent performers that throw race runners, not just beauty pageant winners. I think of Midnight Lute, who at the moment the TCA Charity Auction has his NG season at $4k. Or the perennially good Midshipman at Darley. Knowing that you're looking for a little more size, I'm sure there are some nice ones to choose from, maybe a few in that 3th or 4th year or after which might cost you half of what they were asking a couple years earlier, and with foals, yearlings, 2yos or even racing horses you can still get an idea of what they're throwing. A good agent will help and maybe even help finagle a great deal depending on how your Candy Ride (who I really like) mare ran and walks. One good opinion to start with is Madelyn Royal (on this board). If you haven't checked Jason Hall's discussion of sire value it's worth a look: https://thoroughbredreview.com/sire-watch/

Unless you have money to burn (well we wouldn't be in this business if we didn't have some right?) I would skip GP this year but keep an eye on him. Save a few $grand and try in a subsequent year saving the $$ for the inevitable training bills... :(

Best wishes on the process - hope it's at least fun.

JM
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.