Successful Appeal

Discussion and analysis of thoroughbred stallions.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

BargainBlueblood
Starters Handicap

Successful Appeal

Postby BargainBlueblood » Sun Sep 19, 2004 3:44 pm

Got himself a stakes winner at 1 mile this weekend...in the KY Cup Juvenile Fillies. Looks like he might turn out to be more than just a 2-year-old sprint sire! :D
Michael Slezak
Bargain Blueblood
[email protected]
917.455.0693 (cell)

Michael
Allowance Winner

Postby Michael » Sun Sep 19, 2004 3:54 pm

I just wrote essentially the same comment to FOS, who has touted Successful Appeal for a while. Still, when I look at his race record and pedigree, I have a hard time believing that his foals can handle more than 1 1/16.

One interesting thing about his pedigree is the inbreeding of his dam, Successful Dancer. Not only is she inbred on the fairly common pattern of 4 x 3 Northern Dancer, she also carries a rare 3 x 3 inbreeding to LUCKY DEBONAIR, winner of the 1965 Kentucky Derby. Thus, even though her direct sire Fortunate Prospect is best known as a sprint sire, the doublings of Derby winners Northern Dancer and Lucky Debonair in her pedigree may fortify their stamina influence.

Mahubah
Freshman Sire

Postby Mahubah » Sun Sep 19, 2004 5:37 pm

Much depends on the mares he gets, but I would agree that from a "random" selection of mares suitable to the American commercial market, Successful Appeal isn't likely to get runners that want much more than a mile. However, mares tracing to one of Mr. Prospector's more stamina-oriented sons and from staying damlines might do the trick of supplying the needed stamina. I don't know enough about the mares he's seen so far to know if he's seen much Northern Dancer blood in his mates, but it would be interesting to see what happens if he gets a mare with Lyphard or Nijinsky II close up.
"A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher...You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse." C. S. Lewis

FOS
Freshman Sire

Postby FOS » Sun Sep 19, 2004 8:27 pm

Hi BargainBlueblood...Michael and Mahubah

I find what Successful Appeal has accomplished thus far...nothing short of astounding.

In perspective...and for example...if you consider the breeding opportunities that young stallions Fusaichi Pegasus (75+- registered first crop foals) and Giant's Causeway (100+- in his first crop) have had (and make no mistake they have each had a good degree of success also) I find it astonishing that Successful Appeal leads them both on the earnings lists.

And when you consider that the Fusaichi Pegasus stood for $150k his first season...that Giant's Causeway stood for the U.S. equivalent of $110,000+-...and that Successful Appeal stood for $5k and was bred to (basically) whatever showed up...the results are incredible.

Successful Appeal has, by today's standards, quite a small first crop of 2 year-olds (less than 40 registered)...yet his offspring are already approaching the $1 mil in earnings category.

Yes, his credentials seem to indicate that sprinting should be his specialty as a sire...and Michael may be right that 1 1/16 miles might be a difficult threshold for Successful Appeal's offspring to surpass...but even if it is, it does not diminish what he has already accomplished.

If he is offered some mares deep in the quality staying-power department...who knows what Successful Appeal may get...

and Mahubah's suggestion that broodmares "tracing" to Mr. Prospector's more "stamina-oriented sons" and from "staying damlines" might be the ticket.

At this point-in-time one thing is perfectly clear...that siring speed is not an issue with Successful Appeal. With that in mind, it is my contention that a good trainer may take a horse with speed and possibly stretch it out...but I don't know of any trainer that has had success making slow horses fast.

Who knows what the future may be and what level of success that Successful Appeal may be capable of accomplishing as a sire. For now, though, it is clear...Successful Appeal can sire very fast horses...that can run at a very high level...and very early.

It would have been difficult to predict that Successful Appeal might have been the leading Juvenile sire in mid-September...and all but impossible to expect that Successful Appeal would be North America's leading Juvenile sire (ahead of EVERY sire on the continent) at this time.

Successful Appeal is special...and it will be interesting to see how it all unfolds.

Respectfully

patrick
Maiden Special Weight

Postby patrick » Sun Sep 19, 2004 9:37 pm

Any idea what his fee might jump to next year? I'd love to hear your guesses, especially what you think the max might be.

FOS
Freshman Sire

Postby FOS » Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:12 pm

Hi Patrick

Successful Appeal has some breeding idiosyncracies which I believe will affect his fee.

He is supposedly very fertile...and has excellent libido...but sometimes (for apparently yet undetermined reasons) simply refuses to breed.

His book will probably be limited (and managed very carefully) until they figure him out...and he may be safest to consider as an option if you have an early mare...but there are obviously risks that breeders must consider before committing their good mares to him.

Taking that all into consideration...and at the same time recognizing his astounding successs from limited opportunity...I expect a best-guess stud fee range could be anywhere from $15,000 to $35,000.

I'll say that $20,000 to $25,000 is probably a pretty reasonable best-guess.

By the way...he can get a very impressive...extremely handsome and strongly-made foal.

Respectfully