Which young stallions have genuine MARKET APPEAL ?

Discussion and analysis of thoroughbred stallions.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

FOS
Freshman Sire

Postby FOS » Sat Dec 18, 2004 9:21 pm

hi guys

Declan's Moon had a very impressive victory in the G1 Hollywood Futurity...and is arguably the favorite to be crowned two year-old champion (2004).

His young sire Malibu Moon (by A.P. Indy) may (as a result) have been catapulted into the elite group of young stallions that attract the attention sometimes referred to as "market appeal."

I suggest that A.P. Indy's other young sons (from $5,000 Full Mandate to $100,000 Mineshaft) will also benefit from Malibu Moon's success.

I also suggest that A.P. Indy is definitely on the road to becoming not only recognized...but also respected as a sire-of-sires...with the success of his young son Malibu Moon.

Market Appeal ? Add Malibu Moon to the list !

Respectfully

FOS
Freshman Sire

Postby FOS » Wed Dec 29, 2004 5:23 pm

hi guys

Historically...it seems that the Alphabet Soups have often been overlooked...but it's becoming more difficult to ignore him...and he's still quite young.

It seems like he's siring good ones...quite regularly. Most recently...his daughter Alphabet Kisses won the G1 La Brea at Santa Anita (on 12/27/04).

Is Alphabet Soup a stallion whose market appeal may be ready to break-out.

Respectfully

FOS
Freshman Sire

Postby FOS » Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:54 am

hi guys

Recently the name Aldebaran was brought up. All Things Considered is he a stallion that you believe will have "market appeal" that is average...above average...or less than average?

Thoughts?

Respectfully

PG29
Yearling

Postby PG29 » Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:09 am

You know we have a very nice son of A.P. Indy named Matricule here in WA. He is out of Maximova the second dam of Malibu Moon. Would that be considered a 3/4 brother?

FOS
Freshman Sire

Postby FOS » Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:40 am

hi PG29

What's he (Matricule) look like? Maximova was a gorgeous one.

Respectfully

PG29
Yearling

Postby PG29 » Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:08 am

He is a great looking individual he stands 17hh and has a wonderful body. His first foals ran this year and did very well. He is standing at the same farm as my stud Polish Gift. He is at Allaire Farms. They have done a great job with Matricule. His first book I think was 32 then he has had consistant 60+ a year since. I think that he is a very fairly priced at only $1,500 and you can't work with better people than the Meekings. Just ask Bill from WA I think he feels the same.

Bill from WA
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Bill from WA » Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:20 am

Ditto, Greg.

Bill
Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is like a broken winged bird that cannot fly.

Langston Hughes

FOS
Freshman Sire

Postby FOS » Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:10 am

hi PG29...hi Bill from WA

With the success of Malibu Moon...I would expect that Matricule would attract even more attention than ever...especially if he's as "great looking" as you described.

Regardless, 60 mares per season sounds like impressive support for a young stallion in the northwest...do many horses in your beautiful part of the country get that kind of attention?

Again...Maximova was gorgeous...and very racy...with plenty of body and bone.

Respectfully

PG29
Yearling

Postby PG29 » Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:39 pm

Here are the top 15 stallions in WA for number of mares bred in 2004

Snowbound 84
Slewdledo 76
Tribunal 65
Matricule 62
He's Tops 60
Cahill Road 49
Liberty Gold 49
Ihtimam 40
Free At Last 39
Petersburg 34
Makors Mark 33
Kentucky Lucky 30
Polish Gift 28
Katowice 25

FOS
Freshman Sire

Postby FOS » Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:30 pm

hi PG 29 ... hi Bill from WA

Quite a group. Two on PG29's list that were formerly on the east coast were totally different types.

Cahill Road...as I recall...was a very tall...yet somewhat unathletic looking very big guy...but he had some talent and could run. I suggest he needs a somewhat neat...athletic-type mare. He seemed to get a very different individual than his much-heralded super-star full-bro Unbridled. Seems to be getting some respect in the northwest...at least based on his book size.

Katowice...on the other hand...was average size...and somewhat the lightweight. He probably had enough body...but less than average bone and kind of long (and not-very-strong-looking) pasterns. I suggest he offered very little to improve a mare. The small book doesn't surprise.

Is there a standout among the stallions you listed...a top-gun (or two)...the big guy...or potential star?

You indicate Matricule is 17hh. His dam Maximova was average size (or a touch taller) and quite robust...also extremely athletic looking. She was VERY special.

Best to you.

Respectfully

Bill from WA
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Bill from WA » Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:47 pm

I feel Polish Gift is a potential star. He is an absolutely gorgeous individual. I will be doing a foal share on a breeding to him this year. I look for him to be hot right out of the gate.

Bill
Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is like a broken winged bird that cannot fly.

Langston Hughes

FOS
Freshman Sire

Postby FOS » Sat Jan 08, 2005 4:31 pm

hi Bill from WA

Polish Gift must be a good one if you feel so strongly about him...but why such limited support?

Best to you

Respectfully

Bill from WA
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Bill from WA » Sat Jan 08, 2005 6:09 pm

He had 28 mares his first season . They expect to double that this year. Not bad totals for this market.

Bill

Langston Hughes

PG29
Yearling

Postby PG29 » Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:11 am

FOS,
We didn't get Polish Gift to Washington last year until December. By that time many people had already booked their mares. Many of the people that we talked to last year that had booked their mares already are breeding to him this year. If my calculations are correct, and everyone that I have sent breeding contracts out to for this year come, then we have a full book already. When people come out to see The Gift they are so impressed with him, not only his looks, but the way he acts as well. Most know he won't be $1000 for long and that is why I feel people are booking to him early. We stood him last year for $2000.

Kim
Suckling

Polish Gift

Postby Kim » Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:53 pm

Does he have a page on the internet anywhere?