Which young stallions have genuine MARKET APPEAL ?

Discussion and analysis of thoroughbred stallions.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

PG29
Yearling

Postby PG29 » Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:04 pm

The only page currently would be http://www.washingtonthoroughbred.com/magazine/StallionRegister/WS503402.pdf

We are in the process of building a new site. If you want pictures of him just email me.

FOS
Freshman Sire

Postby FOS » Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:28 am

hi guys

Is it surprising that the name Monarchos is rarely brought up?

Certainly he was bred to some very nice mares...including the Phipps' great Personal Ensign.

He had a number that sold quite well...and was a very nice three year-old.

He may be under the radar.

Respectfully

LSB
Grade II Winner

Postby LSB » Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:27 pm

Monarchos was bred to Personal Ensign because it was percieved that he could use the help. She's a mare with nothing left to prove and was used to try and give him a boost.

FOS
Freshman Sire

Postby FOS » Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:56 pm

hi LSB

I suggest that if...as you wrote "Monarchos was bred to Personal Ensign because it was percieved that he could use the help."

It worked !

Wouldn't ANY stallion benefit by covering the likes of Personal Ensign...and so many other top mares and producers including the dam of Distorted Humor etc etc etc ?

I suggest that the Phipps family is known for breeding their broodmares to stallions which they consider not only worthy but also best suited for their mares...ALL THINGS CONSIDERED.

I also suggest that there have been MANY stallions at Claiborne that the Phipps family NEVER bred to.

Historically it appears that they don't cavalierly throw their support to stallions that they are not convinced have it in them to potentially produce big-league New York horses.

You wrote "She's (Personal Ensign) a mare with nothing left to prove and was used to try and give him a boost."

I suggest that it might be (at the very least) difficult to imagine that the Phipps family would not like to continue getting quality foals out of Personal Ensign if possible. She was no spring chicken (but still a teenager) when bred to Monarchos...and the Phipps family bred many top horses (including future stallions) out of aged mares...including What a Pleasure.

Best to you.

Respectfully

roving boy
Allowance Winner

Postby roving boy » Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:40 am

Could it be that the Phipps have a share in Monarchos? If that is the case, they would have a vested interest in his success which could influence them to play publicity angles.
Roving Boy

Pan Zareta
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby Pan Zareta » Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:53 am

roving boy wrote:Could it be that the Phipps have a share in Monarchos? If that is the case, they would have a vested interest in his success which could influence them to play publicity angles.

They may well be part of the syndicate that owns Monarchos. In fact I'd be surprised if they weren't. But even if they owned 100% of him I seriously doubt that they'd put him on Personal Ensign just to enhance his record. That's completely inconsistent w/ how the Phipps have handled their top mares over the past 50 yrs or so. They breed for the track & the future, not 'flavor of the month'.

briarhalo
Allowance Winner

Postby briarhalo » Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:53 am

I saw someone mention D'Wildcat as a nice up and coming stallion. I love the looks of him and would certainly love to have the money to breed my mare to him. Not sure how it would look on paper as I am no pro in that department.
Claire

FOS
Freshman Sire

Postby FOS » Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:46 am

hi Pan Zareta

You wrote "They may well be part of the syndicate that owns Monarchos. In fact I'd be surprised if they weren't. But even if they owned 100% of him I seriously doubt that they'd put him on Personal Ensign just to enhance his record. That's completely inconsistent w/ how the Phipps have handled their top mares over the past 50 yrs or so. They breed for the track & the future, not 'flavor of the month'.

Appreciated your thoughts and insights and enjoyed your "flavor of the month" comment.

Respectfully

austique
Grade I Winner

Postby austique » Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:40 pm

Pimping Kafwain again. I think he is the class of the Cherokee Run sons at stud right now. I'll take the whipping for saying I like Tumblebrutus too.

Derby2004
Starters Handicap

Postby Derby2004 » Sat Jan 15, 2005 9:31 pm

what about Mayakovsky, Snuck In or Flame Thrower
?

FOS
Freshman Sire

Postby FOS » Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:03 am

hi Derby2004

Snuck In?..The ones I've seen certainly have plenty of size...enough bone...and a robust kind of body. The "size thing" kind of surprised me...they were larger/taller horses than I expected...and seemed to have quite a mature look about them. They also seemed kind of laid-back.

Flame Thrower...I submit the FT's I've seen are very racy-and-athletic looking individuals...average-size (for the most part) with nice balance and proportion. They had a very nice quality...and alert...forward kind-of-way about them...with (what might be described as) some "fire" in their eyes.

Mayakovsky...If a son of Matty G has it in him (to be a sire)...I suggest that Mayakovsky could be the one. What a handsome...athletic and quality-looking guy.

Best to you.

Respectfully

el camino
Allowance Winner

Postby el camino » Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:45 pm

Mayakovsky certainly has the looks but it will be tough for him given the #'s and quality he got.

Derby2004
Starters Handicap

Postby Derby2004 » Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:00 pm

In studs that are 7500 and under, what sires have gotten the best mares?

roving boy
Allowance Winner

Postby roving boy » Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:30 am

I will second FOS's opinion of Mayakovsky - he is a beautiful horse that had a ton of talent. No telling what he could have done if he would have rated.
Roving Boy

freddymo
Maiden Special Weight

Postby freddymo » Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:52 am

I agree the Phipps family typically does not just breed to stallions because of business relationships. The Monarchos/PEnsign cover did seem a bit of a permature vote of confidence for Monarchos and there is probably some truth to the Claiborne/Phipps connection on getting Monarchos to P/Ensign. I think I heard that they sent one of the big mares Ver..Treaty, Inside Info..or Edu Risk to Forest Wildcat that seemed to me really odd.. The past years its been Storm Cat, AP Indy, Unbridled, Seeking.. Just did not think Forest Wildcat was in that leage yet. Actually the Forest Wildcat cover is to Heavenly Prize