TTA 2YOs Sale Commences Monday!!

Talk about upcoming sales or auction results.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

jellac
Grade I Winner

TTA 2YOs Sale Commences Monday!!

Postby jellac » Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:21 am

Heads Up! -

The Texas Thoroughbred Association Texas 2021 Two Year Old Sale at Lone Star Park, Grand Prairie Texas is coming up right after Easter/this weekend.

Under Saddle Show starts at 10am Monday; Sale begins at 10am Wednesday

Sale includes 2YOs bred in Texas, Louisiana, California, Kentucky and other states.

Catalog link is below - you can register to bid online - about a third of the 120 catalogued 2YOs have an accompanying confirmation photo, walking and galloping/running video attached.

http://www.ttasales.com/2-year-old-sale/2021-2-year-old-sale/

Jellac
French Braids Farm
Houston, Texas

jellac
Grade I Winner

Re: TTA 2YOs Sale Commences Monday!!

Postby jellac » Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:19 am

Further FYI and in interest of Full Disclosure about one of the 2YO entrants in above TTA Sale, Hip # 49 -

Hip # 49, is a strapping gray colt by 17.2HH gray stallion, MY HAPPY SONG. He is the 2nd foal/2nd colt out of Um Melakeh (a mare I purchased from Martha Green of Maryland based on a post to this site, 4 or maybe 5 years ago). He is 'my homebred' 2YO and I welcome any questions, comments you might have....it's been a long and sometimes twisted road to get to this point, but welcome you're thoughts.

FURTHER DISCLOSURE: His sibling Flying The Red Eye, by EARLY FLYER, a current 3YO per the catalog page, is sadly no longer with us....I had a private sale fall thru on him after the TTA 2YO sale of last year was a disaster (b/c of COVID, Race program/Track cancellations, etc.). I took him to the track as owner myself. He ran two or three times at Lonestar; showing some improvement each out, then developed 'colitis' - not colic - and, within 48 hours, despite going to the vet almost immediately, I was giving the go ahead to have him humanely euthanized.). I've only recently informed the JCA of his demise and may have been too late for any catalog updates so wanted you to know.

IN THE PIPELINE: There is a healthy, vigorous TOO MUCH BLING colt born this February and Um Melakeh has been successfully bred back to BRADESTER. I was recently informed she is confirmed 18 days in foal. All of these stallions stand at Valor Farms, Pilot Point Texas where I have boarded the mare and her offspring since purchase/having her shipped from Maryland.

Tappiano
Grade II Winner

Postby Tappiano » Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:12 pm

Good luck!

Martha's great, that's where I got my mare (since sold and now in California).

jellac
Grade I Winner

Postby jellac » Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:53 pm

Thanks Tappiano! Good Luck always appreciated and you are absolutely correct: Martha is the best!

I posted a link to my colt's catalog page from the online sale catalog below:

https://thoroughbredcatalog.blob.core.windows.net/ttasales2yo2021/49.pdf

Tappiano
Grade II Winner

Postby Tappiano » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:59 pm

My first derby (and first trip to Ky) was in 1991 and I saw Illeria win that day. :D

jellac
Grade I Winner

Postby jellac » Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:12 pm

Tappiano - That is SO COOL! - to find a fellow Pedigree Query who actually saw my 2YO's 3rd Dam race and win at Churchill on Derby Day, no less! I love the connections I've made between horses and people that love racing on this site over the years - it's been amazing!

UPDATE: My colt, HIP#49, went the 1 furlong under saddle in 10.4 secs, coming out in great shape and 'full of energy' this morning so I am fairly hopeful. Per my Consignor there has been interest in him (i.e. 'discussions, asking that he be taken out of his stall today for closer visual inspection, etc.') which is good.

Tappiano
Grade II Winner

Postby Tappiano » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:57 pm

I hope you know what price you want and can get it.
I took one to FTK Oct and had another accepted to FTK July but sadly he had an apical fracture in a hind sesamoid and wouldn't have recovered in time for that sale so I kept him. The one that went to Oct had some interest (went to check out the repository) but we could not quite get what we wanted. It's very tough in a three day sale to get a lot of lookers when you don't have a fashionably bred yearling so the ones that ask to see him tend to be interested as opposed to those who want to see potential sales toppers. I don't regret going to the sale though, it gave me a new experience as a breeder and I got some good feedback on the colt from a few very highly regarded horseman that I met over at the Griffin Gate. One of them I gave the hip # to and he knew exactly which one it was.

Edited to say it looks like he sold for 27,000. I didn't do the math but looks to be just north of the median price.

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:49 pm

I hope it met the price you needed. Breeze looked like a big guy trying to figure things out. One to watch further down the road, maybe a distance of ground?

When I was in Houston and racing in La, I went to a couple TTA sales. Kinda has a vibe of its own I think and thought about heading to the Mixed Sale last year. BTW - Martha Green helped me do some rehab of one of mine when racing in Md. Treated well.

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:40 am

Looks like you did pretty well considering the rest of the sale. Hopefully it resulted in a profit for you. One advantage you have is much lower stud fee than some of the others in the sale. Good job!!
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

jellac
Grade I Winner

Postby jellac » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:28 am

Thanks for your comments and interest Tappiano, Joltman and Madelyn - I ended up not going to the sale personally, so had to settle with watching it progress from my office at home via the online video, having much the same impressions/view as you have expressed.

This wasn't my first thoroughbred auction but in this regional market - with it's seeming non-stop diet of ups and downs, independent of the overall economic ups and downs - it's always kind of a question mark as to how much interest and what kind of interest there is in the people at the sale. Now you can add to that mystery of the online bidders?? In any event it seemed to me that there was a sufficient number of people there wanting to buy a potential racehorse that, indeed there was some bidding pressure - and pretty much at all price points.

I was pleased with the result - it was $1000.00 or so above what my Consignor, Gerwyn 'Taffy' Jones of Benchmark Training Center, Quinlan Tx, thought he ought to get this sale/this market after Tuesday's barn inspections were done. It was also a bit above the median as Madelyn pointed out. I had set a healthy 'reserve' so was prepared to take on being an owner of a racehorse again if he hadn't made that figure. I wasn't going to let him go for cheap. He's better than that.

Joltman - your assessment of the colt I call 'GrayBaby' is spot on. He is a big colt - and likely will grow a bit more. His sire, MY GOLDEN SONG, is an impressive, large framed 17.2HH grey. During the under saddle portion he was definitely acting 'the tourist' for this work at Lone Star Park, so I think he can get better as he learns to focus/listen to his jockey AND the possibility of being better suited for a distance of ground is also likely as his dam's pedigree would definitely indicate. He is a well balanced, full bodied colt for his frame and youth - that he also gets from his dam. She has consistently produced well made, muscular colts, from three different stallions/sire lines. At the training center he's been more focused and finishing up well with little to no urging, working against company. I do think he's got a bit of a natural competitive streak, when not distracted. Taffy really liked this colt, having also prepped/trained his half brother Flying The Redeye (by EARLY FLYER) previously.

Trying to find out now 'who' purchased him - I'm not familiar with Sam Williams and my colt was the only horse he bought at the Sale.

Also pleased that the BRADESTER 2YOs there sold well as my mare, Um Melakeh, is now 1 full month in foal to him for 2022 delivery! Meanwhile I have a TOO MUCH BLING at her side that I'll be considering for the Yearling Sale next Spring....depending on how things go.

Thanks again for the feedback - all views appreciated!

jellac
Grade I Winner

Postby jellac » Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:55 am

This recent news bodes well for MY GOLDEN SONG progeny currently heading for the tracks or training/racing at the tracks, from last night's Opening of Lone Star Race Park=

April 22
Opening night at Lone Star Park and 2nd place finisher in the Bluebonnet S. is Zarelda, who is by My Golden Song.

Jusanothafox
Newborn

Postby Jusanothafox » Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:50 pm

I just got done reading an article about hip 160. A Quality Road filly, I was very into the article and I understand one of the connections that bred her is no longer with us. I found myself feeling for these people up until the revelation that the the dam of 160 had passed in 2019, and that her last foals were given nurse mares. This mare was getting older I understand, but horses are very much in tune with emotions. To take a foal away from a mare, I just feel that unless it is absolutely a matter of life and death, it is selfish of people. Maybe she would of survived laminitis had her foals not been taken away from her after birth, we will never know, but sometimes heart ache is not easy to overcome. People will call me silly, but I will never use a nurse mare, unless my mare rejects her foal or it is medically necessary i.e. she died.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:45 am

I have a colt orphaned at one month old - and one of my maiden in-foal mares adopted him as a foster mother. He 's thriving. Not nursing though we feed milk pellets and Excel Quick.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....