Culling Suggestions?

Talk about upcoming sales or auction results.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

merse
Allowance Winner

Culling Suggestions?

Postby merse » Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:38 am

I am going to cut way back on my horse expenses next year so I will be culling most of my horses. Would anyone mind ranking them from "keep" to "cull" and throw in an explanation or two?

Broodmares:
Heart Spring (Lear Fan - Pass Me the Hearts) i/f to Rock Slide
Lady With a Fan (Lear Fan - Gal From Dixie) i/f to Outflanker

Weanling fillies:
Falcon's Folly (Fantasticat - Falcon's Eye)
unnamed, (Say Florida Sandy - Heart Spring)

Thanks in advance, I very much appreciate the help.

merse

Rick
Allowance Winner

Postby Rick » Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:36 pm

If I was going to get rid of one of these it would be Falcon's Folly. She has the weakest family and is by a so so sire. I am biased for Say Florida Sandy and I kind of like the mating with Heart Spring. I love both broodmares but thing Heart Spring is the strongest of the two by a very narrow margin.

ak1
Allowance Winner

Postby ak1 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:06 pm

Is the Fantasticat weanling from his first crop on the ground? I know he retired relatively recently but can't place when off the top of my head.

If he is a first crop sire, weanling looks good, might have a bit more "sales" value.

merse
Allowance Winner

Postby merse » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:47 pm

The Fantasticat filly is from his second crop.

Cathy D
Allowance Winner

Postby Cathy D » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:51 pm

The Fantasticat filly might be the commercial sleeper of the bunch. Although Fantasticat has not received a lot of promotion, he is stamping his get, and his weanlings have a particularly nice hip and shoulder. I noticed that some of the two year old pinhookers bought his weanlings in December. One was just profitably resold at OBS for $60,000. If the foals run to their looks, this stallion might be hot next year.

Of the mares, I would probably try to sell both privately before the breeding stock sales if possible. Both mares have nice bloodlines, and come from nice families. Although I particularly like the Buckpasser and Double Jay blood, and love Lear Fan as a good broodie sire, I think the mares are a breed to race proposition at this point in time, and the covering sires are not going to move them up in the sale ring. I think the market favors mares that consistantly throw big good looking yearlings, especially those out of young stakes winning mares or young full or half sisters to current graded winners. Unless you really like their foals and think they may produce a stakes horse, or they have been making you a profit, it might be more cost effective to move them on. I think it will be a buyers market for mares again this year, at least in the Midlantic area, and I think we will see a lot more people trying to reduce their horse populations. The yearling sale season so far has been off from last year, so I don't think we can expect many new buyers getting into the breeding business this year to absorb all of the mares that will be on the market.

Good luck, and please let us know what you decide!

jennywho
Weanling

Postby jennywho » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:43 pm

I think someone on COTH, chronicleforums.com is looking for Lady with a fan. It's under the racing discussion.

merse
Allowance Winner

Postby merse » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:29 pm

Thanks, jennywho. Someone on another forum notified me as well and I registered on the Chronicle's forum and was able to post a reply that Lady With a Fan had been retired and was currently in foal to Outflanker but, when I tried to PM the original poster I was prevented from doing so and now I cannot even post a reply. I meant to add that Lady With a Fan will be entered in the December Fasig-Tipton Timonium sale.

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:52 pm

I like them in the following order:

Keep Falcon's Folly
Possibly keep Lady with a Fan
Sell Heart Spring
Sell the Say Florida Sandy/Heart Spring

Of the four, Falcon's Folly is the one I'd keep. Her recent family is the best of the lot by far, her dam is a winner, her half-sister is a winner, and her second dam is a stakes winner and producer. Her half-sister, Immunity Challenge, was in a low-level claimer, but it was a low-level claimer at Woodbine, which is one of the better tracks. Fantasticat is a little regional horse, but I wouldn't write her off. If she looks good, I'd keep her. Might be worth boarding her in DE for just long enough to get Delaware Certified--that opens up more options for her, especially given the state MD racing is in right now.

Lady with a Fan was not a winner, but she did race and she's young and in foal to one of the better stallions in Maryland. One thing the mid-Atlantic market does like are horses with solid mid-Atlantic families behind them, and this mare's second dam produced good horses at Laurel from the likes of Rollicking and the sire of Xtra Heat. Her dam was a winner, and her 2yo half brother by Ecton Park sold for $80,000. Very well-bred damline with Buckpasser and Bold Ruler close up.

Heart Spring is well-bred and from a deep family, but she's unraced and as of now has not done well as a producer. Some of that is no doubt the stallions she's been bred to (Gentlemen and Rod and Staff), but she has 6 foals, 4 of racing age, only one to race and she was by a good sire in Meadowlake. Riding home or sporthorse broodmare.

I would try and sell Heart Spring's Say Florida Sandy weanling as a sporthorse prospect. Much as I liked SFS on the track, so far he's not impressing me as a racehorse sire. While I never expected his foals to be burning up the track at 2, it's now into September of his first crop's 3yo season and so far less than half of his first crop has started. She has a Damascus-line topside with Buckpasser and Double Jay close up, all of which are well sought-after in the sporthorse world.

merse
Allowance Winner

Postby merse » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:20 pm

okay, here is what I've decided to do:

I am keeping Falcon's Folly until the yearling sales next year.

I am selling at Fasig-Tipton December my in-foal mares, Heart Spring and Lady With a Fan as well as my weanling, Yoko (Heart Spring '08).

2Laz2Race
Newborn

Lady with a Fan

Postby 2Laz2Race » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:35 pm

Hi Merse,

I was the person who was looking for Lady with a Fan on the Chronicle board. I'm actually not involved in the race industry but I met your horse when she was at Tapeta farm. It sounds crazy but I just really liked her! I tried to keep up with her career, which is why I was looking for her. I have 2 OTTBs, one of which is my pasture pet (he has a bad back) and the other I do the low jumpers with. They get to hang out in my back yard and be fat and happy.

I hope she is doing well, and i'm sorry if my inquiry freaked you out!
I've never met an OTTB I didn't like