anyone at keeneland sale?

Talk about upcoming sales or auction results.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

Des
Allowance Winner

Postby Des » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:55 pm

I have noticed that a group bby the name of (Team Work Horseman Group bought about 30 heads between yesterday and today. Only 1 of those bough was $33K the rest were below $5-$6K. They may find something good along the way.

spex4me
Grade I Winner

Postby spex4me » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:15 pm

There were a few good buys in the 5k to 10k range today. I saw some really nice yearlings I would have loved to brought home! :D The whole thing was a pretty cool experience though.
trying to come up with something brillant..... this may take a while. :)

ASB
Starters Handicap

Postby ASB » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:13 pm

I don't know who Team Work is, but I'm going to guess they're part of the South American contingent since they were buying all fillies. I really liked one hip today but was grossly outbid on her.

springboro
Grade II Winner

Postby springboro » Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:44 pm

Team Work bought a stallion I sold earlier at Keeneland and he is now listed as standing in Venezuela.

Des
Allowance Winner

Postby Des » Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:47 pm

Ah that explains it...They picked up a nice decent bunch, I guess if they don't make it to the races they will have fresh breeding for their stallions.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:54 am

I'm heading over to Keeneland tomorrow morning early with a pal - if only to still his bidding arm :D

It is most interesting to see the prices fall off the cliff at the end, as they always do. You can do okay with some of the $1K horses... I bought a filly a few years ago at F-T October for $1K. I named her La Rockette. I sold her a few months later, at two, for a modest profit.. and she is still running with $68K in earnings so far. She ran fairly lately at Prairie Meadows and was on some sort of a streak. Her pedigree was modest - by Acceptable out of Mike's Show by Dynaformer - but physically she was a nice, athletic filly. So far, her recore is 32-8-5-7. There are an awful lot of horses for $10K+ at these sales that don't do that.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

springboro
Grade II Winner

Postby springboro » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:26 am

I am constantly amazed at big name stud fee foals being sold for $1K and $2K... there were North Light and Awesome Agains going for nothing yesterday.

Kitten's Joy and Minguns weren't selling well and a lot of RNAs and low figures.

No love for Monarchos, Alphabet Soup, and other good sire with lesser appeal.

Low selling foals by Rock Hard Ten , Five Star Day, Langfur, and Belong to Me ....

seriously, why am I breeding horses when I could buy one that cheap?

On the other side, the two Indiana breds I saw go through the sales got big numbers I thought.
Last edited by springboro on Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bohemia
Starters Handicap

Postby Bohemia » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:55 am

Looks like a lot of well-bred yearlings are going for next-to-nothing today, too. I'll bet a lot of consignors who have horses at the Eastern Fall Sale at Timonium are plenty nervous at this point.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:49 pm

springboro wrote:.....On the other side, the two Indiana breds I saw go through the sales got big numbers I thought.

There were four Indiana breds in book 7 - 4240, 4303, 4392 and 4700.

4240 RNA'd at $17K.

4303 sold for $20K against a published stud fee of $40K.

4392 sold for $20K against a published stud fee of $10K.

4700 RNA'd at $36K.

There are a few Indiana breds in book 8 as well. However, there just aren't that many MARES in Indiana. Acccording to the 9/20 Blood Horse, 2008 showed 226 live foals in Indiana from 579 mares bred (those folks need better VETS!!!!) It bodes well for my little Indiana-bred Ecton Park filly, whom I sold privately off the farm a few weeks ago. It means, if you follow averages, that by the time she races, there will be about 70 IN bred 2 year old fillies for her to compete against. LOVE THOSE ODDS. Right now, you can make much more money with an average IN bred than you can with a high priced KY bred that is in a state where around 22,000 foals are born each year. Just as the BREEDER I stand to get checks for 20% of the purses of races she wins. Still, people won't step up for Indiana breds until there are BETTER Indiana breds, in my opinion.

The Kafwain was the only one in book 7 that covered the stud fee. On the other hand, Came Home was WAY too big a leap for Beatmichiganagain, the dam of #4303.

springboro
Grade II Winner

Postby springboro » Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:53 pm

I'm trying. with my Indiana-breds... I have the Andromeda's Hero weanling (still for sale!) and an empty mare for next year. I'm hoping stud fees self regulate a bit after the sales.

Fireslam
Allowance Winner

Postby Fireslam » Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:09 pm

How does the Indiana program work? If they are supposed to card races for state bred horses, they will find it difficult to fill races for 2 year old fillies with 70 total registered horses. So do they offer state bred races, or do you get breeder money for running in open company? I can't seem to find anything on their web site.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:19 pm

You get awards for any kind of race. Not just breeder - but also owner's awards. If you stand a stallion in Indiana, there are also stallion awards.

They are carding MORE IN-bred races as the meets cycle. Soon they will also be carding more IN-sired races as well.

Fireslam
Allowance Winner

Postby Fireslam » Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:21 pm

The only 2 year old race I saw carded in the last 2 weeks for Indiana breds was for Indiana-sired foals.

So exactly what kind of awards do you get for being the breeder of an Indiana bred? Is it only if the horse wins?

springboro
Grade II Winner

Postby springboro » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:35 pm

Check out the Indiana Breed Development Proposal.

http://itoba.com/TBBDProposalapprovedformailings.pdf

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:23 pm

Fireslam wrote:The only 2 year old race I saw carded in the last 2 weeks for Indiana breds was for Indiana-sired foals.

There are two IN-bred races today at Hoosier. If you want real clues to the size of the program, look at the condition book.

Fireslam wrote:So exactly what kind of awards do you get for being the breeder of an Indiana bred? Is it only if the horse wins?

The breeder receives 20% of the gross purse if the horse wins. The owner ALSO receives 20% of the gross purse if the horse wins. The purses have been raised, so it starts to get meaningful.