Fasig Tipton Sept/Oct Timonium Yearling Sale

Talk about upcoming sales or auction results.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

Ill-bred
Starters Handicap

Postby Ill-bred » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:50 am

Ill-bred wrote:Unfortuntely I did not see either of those. But considering that Vision bought 238, he must have been nice.

There is a very nice Closing Argument that sells on Wednesday -- Hip 734. I would call that one an above average physical specimen. Let's see how the market receives it.

Hip 734 just sold for $105,000. That's a pretty strong price and further proof that good individuals are bringing good money here.

mightyhijames
Starters Handicap

Postby mightyhijames » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:49 am

Ill-bred wrote:
Ill-bred wrote:Unfortuntely I did not see either of those. But considering that Vision bought 238, he must have been nice.

There is a very nice Closing Argument that sells on Wednesday -- Hip 734. I would call that one an above average physical specimen. Let's see how the market receives it.

Hip 734 just sold for $105,000. That's a pretty strong price and further proof that good individuals are bringing good money here.

hip #880 was on my short list if you happen to see her. i'd be curious how she looks.

Ill-bred
Starters Handicap

Postby Ill-bred » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:14 pm

880 was declared a late out. Wasn't able to see her.

serenarider
Allowance Winner

Postby serenarider » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:44 pm

Illbred nice call on 734 :wink:

doublete
Allowance Winner

Postby doublete » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:06 pm

I actually didn't end up with anything that I looked at. I got #114 (grand reward) in the sale (Ky bred- nice looking animal). Got #439 )leroidesanimaux) privately- first foal from the stakes winning mare, but very small filly. She's a VA bred, so I hope Colonial and VA bred program stays as good as it was this year!!!!!

I think I am picking up one tomorrow that was bought privately by a friend as well. A Fantasticat.

Needless to say that will be three by first crop yearling sires.

Today the prices were stronger overall than the first two days... I think the money came out today to spend. Not spectacular, but less of a bloodbath I think.
Racing and retraining.

francesca
Allowance Winner

Tough sale

Postby francesca » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:55 pm

Alot of those prices were really low for some good regional horses....too many yearlings? and bad, bad economy!!!!!

I was watching on the PC and it was a shame to see some of those go for $1,000 that had some good sheets.

mightyhijames
Starters Handicap

Postby mightyhijames » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:07 pm

Ill-bred wrote:880 was declared a late out. Wasn't able to see her.

thanks for looking.

Bohemia
Starters Handicap

Postby Bohemia » Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:50 pm

I believe there were only four or five horses that brought more than $100,000 (haven't double-checked the sheet, but I'm pretty close). It's hard to believe, though, that of the nearly 800 horses that went through the ring, only a handful were top individuals. I loved the comment by the Fasig-Tipton director T. Mason Grasty yesterday: “There are mares, unfortunately, in production that aren’t commercial, not to say they can’t get a pretty foal, good foal, fast racehorse, but they are not viably commercial.”

So why did Fasig-Tipton accept yearlings in this sale if their dams weren't "viably commercial"? To me, this is just one excuse of several on the part of F-T as to why the average price tanked.

serenarider
Allowance Winner

Postby serenarider » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:59 am

So why did Fasig-Tipton accept yearlings in this sale if their dams weren't "viably commercial"? To me, this is just one excuse of several on the part of F-T as to why the average price tanked.

Very good question.

LB
Eclipse Champion

Postby LB » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:04 am

serenarider wrote:

Very good question.

Fasig Tipton is a sale company. It's what they do. That's why they accepted those yearlings: it's their job.

Except for their select sales, it's not up to F-T to decide whether or not a mare is worth breeding or her produce is worth offering for sale. It should be the breeder's job to exercise such discrimination--and apparently F-T thinks that not enough of them are doing so.

Can you imagine the outcry if yearlings were turned down for an open sale? Breeders would complain that the sales company wasn't treating them fairly by not letting them offer their horses to the market. This is capitalism at work and the sales company can't be blamed for either the tough market or the lack of sales appeal in some of the offerings.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:17 am

Fasig Tipton is an auction house. If they turned away horses, as stated above except for the select sales, they would likely be accused of cronyism and attempting to exert artificial control of the marketplace.

The large number of horses selling for cents on the dollar should convey the message - it is not up to Fasig Tipton, in my opinion, to "tell" mare owners what to do or not to do.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

serenarider
Allowance Winner

Postby serenarider » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:28 am

Very good point lb and madelyn.

mightyhijames
Starters Handicap

Postby mightyhijames » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:39 am

i've been looking at the sales results for the last three days; i initially thought that the amount in parenthesis was the reserve amount so when i saw 'not sold' and that amount underneath, i thought the reserve had not been met. now i'm told that the amount in parenthesis is the last bid amount.

is that right?

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:50 am

Usually the amount in parenthesis is the reserve. It is pretty hard to tell where the live money stopped unless you were actually there, since the auctioneer bids to the reserve.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:43 am

In my experience, the auctioneers at Keeneland BID to the reserve amount, so the final bid there IS the reserve. You really can't tell where live money stopped. I know Fasig Tipton Kentucky is the same as Keeneland. I don't know about Timonium.