Fasig Tipton Sept/Oct Timonium Yearling Sale

Talk about upcoming sales or auction results.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

doublete
Allowance Winner

Postby doublete » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:02 pm

Today was up and down- overall there were some bargains to be had!

I would say that there were some darn nice looking horses though. And they didn't go for as high as I'd think ($100,000).

I got mine, and spent a bit more than I'd wanted to (after seeing the early prices and missing a few that I kicked myself for not getting), but then had to sit on my hands for one later on that they dragged a bid out of Charlie Frock for. (and yes, it SOLD for $1000)
I haven't picked my colt up yet (#114), and will go back to get him Wed morning, but may go back up there tomorrow to watch a bit more. (and go peek at my colt again- I've never bought before, and man was a wreck, and I can't wait to get him home!!!!)

Many of the consignors made a point to say that there was no reserve on theirs, and that they were there to sell. I saw a few "not sold", but most sold regardless of the bid.

I'd say overall, there were some quality horses. HOWEVER, thanks to everyone for telling me to check xrays- amazing that so many young horses have issues already. I took a chance on something in mine, but since he'll be in my care through his racing career, I'm fairly certain I won't have an issue. I watched one that I knew had SEVERAL issues in his xrays go for $10,000 and to me that was really high for what was going on.
Racing and retraining.

Bohemia
Starters Handicap

Postby Bohemia » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:18 am

There were more than a few "not sold." Check out the results on the Fasig-Tipton web site.

spex4me
Grade I Winner

Postby spex4me » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:29 am

well I got a new phone and shot some clips of the horses, except for 750, they told me that was out. Of course in replacing my old mangled phone and getting a new memory card with the new one, it never dawned on me to get an adapter so the rotten thing would fit it's card slot on my laptop. :roll:
So that being said when I get home tonight I'll slap my most likely lousy clips on youtube. Of course if you were looking to buy, my lateness won't help you, but if you are super curious it will appease you a little lol!!
I thought the sale was awful. Some very decent horses couldn't get a bid, and others where much less than what one would expect. I would have loved to pick up one or two, but now I am sweating the economy and looking is much better at this juncture! :shock:
On the upside I met some nice people!! :D
trying to come up with something brillant..... this may take a while. :)

KBEquine
Grade III Winner

Postby KBEquine » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:49 am

spex4me wrote:I thought the sale was awful. Some very decent horses couldn't get a bid, and others where much less than what one would expect. I would have loved to pick up one or two, but now I am sweating the economy and looking is much better at this juncture! :shock:
On the upside I met some nice people!! :D

So did we [meet some nice people, I mean!] :wink:

Although it was very much a bloodbath in the ring . . . after we came out of the ring, I thought we'd end up sending both our fillies to the track ourselves, but the post-auction interest is good enough that I've got some hope.

Unfortunately, several serious lookers needed a few of THEIR horses to sell, before they could buy & it just wasn't happening. In fact, one guy told us on our way out of the ring that he had a bidder in the ring, with instructions to buy our filly if his sold [she was just a few hip numbers in front of ours] - but his didn't sell, so the buyer didn't bid.

spex, it was great to meet you & while I'd have loved to have had you bid on the gray filly, I know the horse you bought should really work for you & being a MD-bred, a great fit -- congrats on getting him! Let us know how it goes.

doublete
Allowance Winner

Postby doublete » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:58 pm

I do absolutely feel horrible for all the sellers.

I was there yesterday for most of the day, and today was there for just an hour. What a MESS!!!!

Today quite a few no bids again.
Racing and retraining.

Ill-bred
Starters Handicap

Postby Ill-bred » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:15 pm

This has been a tough sale for all but the top individuals (of which there were not very many).

You simply cannot bring an average or below average horse to auction and expect to have a buyer.

serenarider
Allowance Winner

Postby serenarider » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:40 pm

Ill-bred wrote:This has been a tough sale for all but the top individuals (of which there were not very many).

You simply cannot bring an average or below average horse to auction and expect to have a buyer.

All of the sales this year so far have been awful. I know of 5 foals that were above average from good sires great paper ect that brought 30k or below. So unless they did not vet witch I have no idea. The sellers were taken over the coals!

Ill-bred
Starters Handicap

Postby Ill-bred » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:07 pm

Vetting knocks an alarming number of horses down.

Out of curiosity and to see if we're on the same page in terms what constitutes an above average horse, what were the hip numbers?

serenarider
Allowance Winner

Postby serenarider » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:17 pm

238 and 529 off the top of my head.

Ill-bred
Starters Handicap

Postby Ill-bred » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:38 pm

Unfortuntely I did not see either of those. But considering that Vision bought 238, he must have been nice.

There is a very nice Closing Argument that sells on Wednesday -- Hip 734. I would call that one an above average physical specimen. Let's see how the market receives it.

krp
Weanling

Postby krp » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:10 pm

Anyone see hip #776? He goes through tomorrow. My friend has him with Don Litz. Just wondering if he was getting any attention.

spex4me
Grade I Winner

Postby spex4me » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:30 pm

KB-
I didn't buy. You might have me switched with someone with MD on the agenda. Mine is strictly VA bred interest right now. Though I did think your Duckzilla was a sweetheart, but alas she has PA no VA lol. I have to really justify what I buy right now. :cry: And the one VA bred I was remotely interested sold for a wee (I mean WEEEEEE) bit more than I was ready to plunk down !! :wink: Oh well at least I satisified my curiosity of the sale itself. I think though that as a buyer this sale was awesome... if I were a seller I think I'd plan to sell in KY. Though they were pinching pennies there too it wasn't quite as evident.

Youtube is making me manic tonight...here is a link to some video, if you scroll you will see all that Youtube has accepted (so far, it's slow like me) listed as Timonium. Good luck figuring out who's who b/c without notes I have no freaking clue. They are still in the car and I am travel lagged lol! Though the big chestnut was a LA bred gelding I remember that 219. Nice boy, size and attitude. But he sold for 1k........ yeah yeah I know not commercial :shock:
http://www.youtube.com/user/depbel
trying to come up with something brillant..... this may take a while. :)

serenarider
Allowance Winner

Postby serenarider » Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:31 am

Kb thanks for taking the time to video. I have no idea who is who. :lol: So I will waite for your notes.

IllBred I'm glad that the one was sold to vision. He is a nice colt. The only thing I saw with him was he was on the smaller side.

galleria10
Maiden Special Weight

hip 678

Postby galleria10 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:31 am

just sold for 320,000 holly bull
Don't live your life by each
breath you take, but rather
the things that take your breath away

KBEquine
Grade III Winner

Postby KBEquine » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:41 am

spex4me wrote:KB-
I didn't buy. You might have me switched with someone with MD on the agenda. Mine is strictly VA bred interest right now. Though I did think your Duckzilla was a sweetheart, but alas she has PA no VA lol. I have to really justify what I buy right now. :cry: And the one VA bred I was remotely interested sold for a wee (I mean WEEEEEE) bit more than I was ready to plunk down !! :wink: Oh well at least I satisified my curiosity of the sale itself. I think though that as a buyer this sale was awesome... if I were a seller I think I'd plan to sell in KY. Though they were pinching pennies there too it wasn't quite as evident.

Oops sorry - of course I knew you were looking at the VA-breds . . . I was indeed talking to Doublete - and calling her spex! My bad. :oops: