stupid sales question- FT midlantic yearling

Talk about upcoming sales or auction results.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

doublete
Allowance Winner

stupid sales question- FT midlantic yearling

Postby doublete » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:41 pm

Yes, I've never bought at a sale, and never even gone to one. I am going with someone who is experienced (they've gotten 4 out of the sales, all winners incl a MSW, all for less than $5000 so I think Im in good hands), BUT what is the deal with xrays. Do sellers have xrays on file sometimes? If not, what xrays are suggested and when can you have them done?
Please someone just give me any info you can!

Thanks
Racing and retraining.

Hold Your Peace
Allowance Winner

Postby Hold Your Peace » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:52 pm

If there's a repository at that sale, and I don't even know if there is, I wouldn't expect very many of the yearlings at that sale to have x-rays in it.

Repositories get good support from consignors at the more expensive sales like Keeneland, but if there is one at some of the lower level sales they often get very little support from consignors.

There should be a list of vets "working the sale" in the catalog and you can call any of them while you're looking at yearlings and give them the yearling in questions hip number and tell them you'd like them to vet it. They'll take the appropriate xrays and they'll interpret them for you and you'd want them to scope the yearling (give it an endoscopic exam) to examine its airway and get their opinion on that. And of course the vet is going to send you a bill for every yearling you have them vet.

doublete
Allowance Winner

Postby doublete » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:57 pm

There is a repository (it lists hours that it is open), but no list of vets in the catalog.

Thank you!
Racing and retraining.

CS
Maiden Special Weight

Postby CS » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:58 pm

Many consignors will have x-rays. The best thing to do is ask the consignor. "Has this horse been x-rayed? Do you have a report I can see?" Most consignors will let you read the x-ray reports that are written up by the vets. If there is a specific problem you would like looked at you can then hire a vet to read the actual x-rays in the repository and give you their thoughts on how the issue will effect racing ability.

If there is nothing in the repository you will at minimum want to have it scoped. Nothing worse than buying a horse that has a bad airway. Well - maybe. OCDs on the weight bearing surfaces of the stifles are a killer too...

merse
Allowance Winner

Postby merse » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:11 pm

I have xrayed my horses for every sale and seldom does anyone even bother to go take a look. I debated at length with myself this time around because it seems it is just another empty hole for the breeder to throw his money into. I believe in full disclosure so I know it serves a purpose but I think the most people helped are the vets.

A couple of years ago I was selling a yearling and the consignor's area was in full view of the office where the repository is located so I spent a lot of time looking in that direction and saw very few people ever go into the office. At Keeneland, there are lots of people in the repository.

That being said, the repository is located by the track kitchen. If you have the catalog, inside the front cover is a map of the barn area. If you walk down the road to the right of the Sales Pavilian and Barns A through H and to the left of the track, the Repository Office is beyond Barn H on the right hand side (at least it was in years past).

If the yearling you are interested in has no info in the repository and you don't know a vet, you can usually spy them ranging about the barn areas with the scope equipment around their neck and an assistant hauling the heavy equipment. Usually, any of the bigger consignors can give you the number of a vet on the premises. Good luck.

p.s. ...and be sure to check out Hip #163 (I had to throw that in)