Barretts Oct Mixed Sale brutal

Talk about upcoming sales or auction results.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

majxmom
Grade I Winner

Barretts Oct Mixed Sale brutal

Postby majxmom » Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:35 pm

What a sign of the times. I have never seen so many No Sales.

Last Year (Day One only):
201 Head
Gross Sales $2,434,500
Sale Avg $12,112
Median $3,500
Not Sold 53
Out 70

This Year (Day One only):
143 Head (People knew it would be a bloodbath, and consigned less)
Gross Sales $536,600 (that's right: one-fifth of last year's!)
Sale Avg $3,752
Median $1,800
Not Sold 88 (Yes, 58 fewer horses offered, but 35 more Not Solds)
Out 47

Hip #217 is a mare by In Excess. Second dam is Tersa, French champion and dam of Rock Hard Ten. Third dam is Peacefully, dam of Gato Del Sol. They struggled to get the bidding up to $1500. It's so sad to see how bad economic times drive horse value down to nothing.
"When I am on my deathbed, I imagine I will say, 'Thank God I did that'" - Arthur Hancock, on buying back Gato del Sol from Europe after Exceller was killed in a slaughterhouse in Sweden.

Sysonby
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Sysonby » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:48 am

That was probably a fair price actually. Excessful Spirit is a 5 year old unraced broodmare prospect only kind of horse who is not in foal. Her dam is a ten year old non winning mare with no winners produced. If that continues, the foal will have no winners in the first 2 dams of the page and Tersa will be the third dam. And that of course is leaving aside whatever issues this horse had from a conformation standpoint which kept her from the races for several years until the sellers bailed.

LB
Eclipse Champion

Postby LB » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:42 am

Sysonby wrote:That was probably a fair price actually. Excessful Spirit is a 5 year old unraced broodmare prospect only kind of horse who is not in foal. Her dam is a ten year old non winning mare with no winners produced. If that continues, the foal will have no winners in the first 2 dams of the page and Tersa will be the third dam. And that of course is leaving aside whatever issues this horse had from a conformation standpoint which kept her from the races for several years until the sellers bailed.

I have to agree. This is just the kind of mare that previously would have been bought and over-bred by someone dreaming of commercial success--who would then complain vociferously when the market failed to rescue him from his own folly.

majxmom
Grade I Winner

Postby majxmom » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:17 pm

How about this one I bought? Hip #332

Full brother to a stakes winner and another winner of $68,000. Stakes winners under every dam, including Golddigger's Dream ($427,652) under the second dam and Xtra Heat (champion, $2,189,635) under the 3rd dam. Mare has had 10 foals. All five that have made it to the racetrack are multiple winners, with two more currently working. One died and two are too young. The first foal, Little Geezer, broke his maiden first time out after working in :21.4. This colt was about to be No Bid until I stepped in. Matt from Applebite told me this is by far the best looking of all the siblings (he used to own the mare before Cardiff). Seems like a bargain to me.

There was an Unbridled mare in foal to Score Quick (not printed in the catalog) that produced a 7-time winner of $144,960 with Arazi under the third dam. Barely got a bid before they knocked her out, and squeaked up to $1400.
"When I am on my deathbed, I imagine I will say, 'Thank God I did that'" - Arthur Hancock, on buying back Gato del Sol from Europe after Exceller was killed in a slaughterhouse in Sweden.

fastappy
Starters Handicap

majxmom

Postby fastappy » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:03 pm

Yeah, 332 really seemed to be a nice, flashy, & definitely enough pedigree to take a chance on. Good Buy Maxjmom!

Overall you have to say it was pretty much a blood bath, and a culling process for California breeders, although some nice ones were undervalued due to the current economic conditions, not conducive to breeding for sale.

Personally, I will continue to breed and enjoy racing my horses or privately getting them into hands that will. I only have a couple of mares, and really enjoying the breeding and raising foals.

The economy is sure to get worse, but luckily fuel prices have gone down, which of course impacts feed prices, etc.

TomFool
Allowance Winner

Postby TomFool » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:29 pm

In looking through the results 442 looked like a buy for 8k. She was a winner & stakes placed @ 2 & half to two stakes winners & a track record holder & is in foal to Tribal Rule carring her second foal he first by so so Sir Shackleton. Looks like lots of speed & precosity with this broodmare prospect.