Keeneland November Breeding Stock Sale

Talk about upcoming sales or auction results.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

ratherrapid
Grade II Winner

Keeneland November Breeding Stock Sale

Postby ratherrapid » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:54 am

:roll:

Toccet02
Leading Sire

Postby Toccet02 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:05 am

Talking about the stock offered, or the prices they're bringing, or both?
All shouting does is make you lose your voice.
----Arrested Development

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:27 am

I think it's the prices.. they are a bit disheartening overall. Bad economy.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Toccet02
Leading Sire

Postby Toccet02 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:33 am

I'm watching on my pc and am amazed at the steady parade of mares who have produced not much at all---and with a few exceptions, the foals they're carrying have the same-old yawn pedigrees. I know the sale is in the second week--but wow.
War Front seems to have gotten quite a few mares . . .

----Arrested Development

walaa
Starters Handicap

mares

Postby walaa » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:58 am

What I dont understand is how bad the economy is, and everyone saying you can get mares for very cheap, but all the mares I see that I would have been interested in had I the money to go :cry: are RNA, RNA, RNAS. So horses arent going for peanuts there. The economy may be horrible, and everyone is saying the people will sell broodmares just to get rid of them, but not at keenland. Same thing as another poster said, some not so great, in foal to okay, to not so great, and RNA'ing at pretty big prices. To me, if breeders arent going to let mares go at reasonable prices, then dont complain about the money and the economy, you know?? of course, these kind of owners probably dont have to worry about wintering horses and all that, so I guess they dont have to sell, but still :? I have a couple of my 'watchers" going through today, it will be interesting to see how many of them RNa today, then I know I wont be shopping there next year either :( I guess the regional sales will be my choice for early next year, average mares in foal and not in foal, with no to mediocre produce records, whether in foal or not, to average stallions, etc, RNA'ing at 25,000 and more, I am not quite in that "bargain" category :)

Toccet02
Leading Sire

Postby Toccet02 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:59 am

yuck--seeing a 2X3 to Storm Cat today---
and a 3X3 a few days ago.
Too close, too prominent! IMHO

----Arrested Development

Sock Monkey
Allowance Winner

Re: mares

Postby Sock Monkey » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:25 am

walaa wrote:What I dont understand is how bad the economy is, and everyone saying you can get mares for very cheap, but all the mares I see that I would have been interested in had I the money to go :cry: are RNA, RNA, RNAS. So horses arent going for peanuts there. The economy may be horrible, and everyone is saying the people will sell broodmares just to get rid of them, but not at keenland.

Who's "everyone"? Are you talking about the people on this BB?

I take the RNAs as a sign those sellers believe the market will turn around - and that's a good sign. Overall, yes, the market is significantly down but individually, good horses still bring fair prices.

LB
Eclipse Champion

Re: mares

Postby LB » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:41 pm

walaa wrote:What I dont understand is how bad the economy is, and everyone saying you can get mares for very cheap, but all the mares I see that I would have been interested in had I the money to go :cry: are RNA, RNA, RNAS. So horses arent going for peanuts there. The economy may be horrible, and everyone is saying the people will sell broodmares just to get rid of them, but not at keenland. Same thing as another poster said, some not so great, in foal to okay, to not so great, and RNA'ing at pretty big prices. To me, if breeders arent going to let mares go at reasonable prices, then dont complain about the money and the economy, you know?? of course, these kind of owners probably dont have to worry about wintering horses and all that, so I guess they dont have to sell, but still :? I have a couple of my 'watchers" going through today, it will be interesting to see how many of them RNa today, then I know I wont be shopping there next year either :( I guess the regional sales will be my choice for early next year, average mares in foal and not in foal, with no to mediocre produce records, whether in foal or not, to average stallions, etc, RNA'ing at 25,000 and more, I am not quite in that "bargain" category :)

Since the entries for KeeNov closed on August 1st, I think many mares were entered before it became clear just how bad the economy was going to get. The RNA and OUT mares were probably those owned by people who had no desire to give them away in a falling market. For what it's worth, I saw many, many bargain prices at the sale--but depending on what your standards for "cheap" are, perhaps none of them fit that category.

walaa
Starters Handicap

mares

Postby walaa » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:59 pm

Isnt that pretty much what I said :D :?: For my pocketbook, 25,000 isnt a bargain, :o not for the horses I saw getting offers for that, or around that :) Never said some horses werent worth it, just that I am suprised others arent selling for what is being offered for them. Again, those people dont have to sell, and that is good for them, the economy doesnt effect them in downtimes like it effects the little people. I am definitely one of the little people :) And you are right, the economy will get better, but not anytime soon. And I am not saying 25,000 (or any price, just using that as an example) isnt a bargain for alot of horses, but when the owner/breeder isnt letting them go at that particular price, then there is no bargain is there :? Many of those I saw RNAing, their prices arent going to get higher. Thats all I meant, that IMO, little that it is to this forum, many of the horses RNA'ing should have been SOLD at the offers they were getting. Thats all :D

merse
Allowance Winner

Postby merse » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:40 pm

many of the horses RNA'ing should have been SOLD at the offers they were getting

walaa, just because a horse RNA'd at $25,000 does not necessarily mean they had a "live" bid at $25,000. It could mean that the owner set their reserve at $25,000 and the auctioneers were told to run it up to the reserve price.

walaa
Starters Handicap

sales

Postby walaa » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:09 pm

yesterday is what I meant by my kind of bargains :!: GOOD prices, just hope some of those prices are around in Jan, IF I can sell a couple of mine by then so I can make it to that sale. Thats what Im talking about for bargains. when you can by a nice mare in foal to a stallion whose fee is 30,000, and YOU, the buyer like him, whether others do or not, and you can buy that mare for 2000, THAT is a bargain :D And many others like that throughout yesterday. :D