NY Breeders' Sales Co. fall sale scandal?

Talk about upcoming sales or auction results.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

magic code
Starters Handicap

NY Breeders' Sales Co. fall sale scandal?

Postby magic code » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:23 pm

11/29 TB Times reports that the leading buyer at the sale, Susan Blais, never paid for the horses and didn't have credit. She spent $171,000 on 8 weanlings and a mare and apparently most if not all have been returned to the sellers.

The sale company isn't saying a word, not returning calls to the media, and does not post the conditions of sale on its website.

Article says the conditions of sale of most companies stipulate that it's the sale company's responsibility to collect payment.

Anyone know any more?

LB
Eclipse Champion

Postby LB » Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:49 am

I don't know any more than I've read in the media, but I think it's very lucky for the sales company that the sellers agreed to take their horses back.

magic code
Starters Handicap

Postby magic code » Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:24 pm

The WTBA out here had a similar situation, only it was discovered the DAY OF the sale. (Agent had OK to buy 1-2 horses and instead bought about 20.) They were able to track down underbidders on some horses to see if they wanted to buy, though some had already bought other horses, and the sale company offered free entry into the fall mixed sale for any horses that didn't sell. It was still a mess, though.

I don't see what good waiting several weeks did in this situation...