Contacting Keeneland buyers or sellers

Talk about upcoming sales or auction results.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

Roguelet

Contacting Keeneland buyers or sellers

Postby Roguelet » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:28 pm

Silly question, I'm sure... but is it completely uncouth to offer a free breeding to a couple of choice sale mares who have qualities about them that I specifically want matched to my stallion? If it's not completely uncouth, how would one go about offering? Better to contact the seller and let them pass the info. along, or better to contact the buyer after the fact? Or better just to not do something like that at all? :lol:
"Don't be a boorish buffoon" -Hokies Respect 'Jerk Alert'

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:24 pm

I have tried it - and I think I did it the wrong way. I gave packets of information, along with the hypo mating, and a certificate for the free season, to the consignor so that they could pass it on to the buyer. Subsequently, I saw, actually, that the stallion would have a representative AT Keeneland when the mare sold. That representative would then approach the person signing the sales ticket to offer the season and printed information. I think the second is probably more effective, however I have not had the time available to try that myself. But no it's not uncouth, it is COMMON.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

docjocoy
Restricted Stakes Winner

Re: Contacting Keeneland buyers or sellers

Postby docjocoy » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:48 pm

Roguelet wrote:Silly question, I'm sure... but is it completely uncouth to offer a free breeding to a couple of choice sale mares who have qualities about them that I specifically want matched to my stallion? If it's not completely uncouth, how would one go about offering? Better to contact the seller and let them pass the info. along, or better to contact the buyer after the fact? Or better just to not do something like that at all? :lol:

It seems to me, especially in these economic times, that a stallion owner has to be creative in the ways they look to promote their stallion. Certainly rather than being uncouth it is opportune. And just speaking from my own experience, having bought a mare in Jan the last 2 years, if a stallion owner had approached me with information on their stallion, I would have taken the info with interest.
I think Madelyn's idea of having an agent or representative at the sale itself, rather than relying on the consignor to give out anything, might work best.

Hold Your Peace
Allowance Winner

Postby Hold Your Peace » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:09 pm

Several times after signing the ticket for a mare I've immediately been approached by people with info on a stallion and in some cases a reduced price or free breeding to said stallion and I think that's fine. I may not have taken any of these people up on their offers, but I was fine with them making the offer.

LB
Eclipse Champion

Postby LB » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:31 pm

Hold Your Peace wrote:Several times after signing the ticket for a mare I've immediately been approached by people with info on a stallion and in some cases a reduced price or free breeding to said stallion and I think that's fine. I may not have taken any of these people up on their offers, but I was fine with them making the offer.

Same thing has happened to me. I did not use the stallions that were offered, but I was perfectly happy to be approached and I think that's probably the most effective way to reach the mare's new owner.

dray33
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby dray33 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:35 pm

Good business.

el camino
Allowance Winner

Postby el camino » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:04 pm

At the NY breeders sale darby dan had a rep go to each consignor, match their mares with their stallions and then told the consignor what deals they would offer, free, reduced etc...Then the consignor would tell perspective buyers during the shows

BenB
Sophomore Sire

Postby BenB » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:57 am

Perheps, the best is Join Forces regarding to sales etc. Whilst it is far to expensive in time to do it all by yourselve at on your own.
So counting up people involved in the same buisiness (studs), would be sensible to me.

el camino
Allowance Winner

Postby el camino » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:36 am

who are your stallions?

BenB
Sophomore Sire

Postby BenB » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:04 am

I do not own any studs nor been involve in one.

But from a buisiness model, it is better to Join Forces and that,s what I do in my own buisiness.
On a small scale model, each of the parties are having their own skills so make advantage out of it, for the benefit of all

Roguelet

Postby Roguelet » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:17 am

el camino wrote:who are your stallions?

Not sure who you meant this for, but in case you were asking me, we stand Indy Mood and Private Lap. Both are registered Indiana sires, and with the upswing of the Indiana program, I thought there might finally be some real interest from KY.

It sounds like, from all of your replies, that the very best way to handle this is to be there in person and approach the purchasers of the mares. I most definitely WISH I could do that; unfortunately, my responsibilities here are at a level that prevents me from leaving to attend the sale in person. So now I'm wondering what the next best way is to get these offers into the hands of the buyers. Since I've never been a buyer at Keeneland (actually never attended a sale there at all) I'm just not sure of the best way to go about this, short of being there in person.

Any ideas?

el camino
Allowance Winner

Postby el camino » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:22 am

If you call the consignors direct and offer them the free breedings to the selected mares and they agree to inform potential buyers at the time of showing that said mare is eligeble for a comp breeding (this is what Darby did in NY), I would be willing to stop by the consignors and drop of any literature and give a hand shake, etc..I have a client in Indiana who may be able to stop and pick up any material from you, as he is planning on attending, he lives near Hoosier, I think. PM if that would help.

Cathy D
Allowance Winner

Postby Cathy D » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:39 am

Since the mares have already sold, your best bet may be to get the buyer's name and address from the sales company, and send your stallion's information to them via mail. I've received post sale mailings before, and that was okay.

Ruffian
Starters Handicap

Postby Ruffian » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:10 pm

I too have been approached numerous times after signing the ticket, I have yet to go to that stud for one reason or another but I would put it down to that when your at the sale and everything your pretty busy arranging things. I personally think it would be better (if possible) to obtain the new owners' details and send them the information in the mail. This would probably work better in November vs. January when you are usually making quicker decisions for that seasons' breedings. I believe Taylor Made did send me something later after the sale but the mare was quite something :?

Roguelet

Postby Roguelet » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:54 am

El Camino and Madelyn were both kind enough to offer to help me accomplish this, and I had information made up and ready to send down there, but the person I was going to send it all with ended up being grounded here due to weather. I will try to contact some of the buyers now and see what I can get done, though several of them are names that I recognize from Indiana who have their own stallions, so they likely bought the mares for their own guys. Ah, well, you know what they say about the best laid plans... :roll: