Who else is watching keenland...Holy crap!

Talk about upcoming sales or auction results.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

LB
Eclipse Champion

Postby LB » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:39 pm

JCBloodstock wrote:Paulson did not no sale Azeri for 4.4 million.Most likely,Azeri had a reserve of 4.5 mil.Even on a reserve that is not reached you pay a commission.Do you honestly think the auction company is going to halt air bids at say $2.5 million when they know they can make an additional percentage because the reserve is at 4.5 mil.Paulsons reasons could be varied,tough to say with a poor little rich boy that has never been poor.The heirs of Calumet come to mind when watching Paulson and his antics.It's funny how the heirs can go thru money that they never earned themselves.He could be trying to inflate value on them to form partnerships---one of many things that could be happening.

It's not up to the auction company whether or not the bidding stops before the reserve is reached--that is specified beforehand (and signed for) by the owner or consignor. If the reserve is placed "live money only" then the bidding stops after the last live bid, no matter what the reserve is, and the commission is paid on that amount. If the reserve is placed "all the way" then the auctioneers bid up to the reserve--but again it is not their opiton whether or not to do so.

Paulson said the day after the sale that his bank chose the amount of the reserve as Azeri was being used as collateral for that amount. Presumalbly his bank rethought the amount of that loan the next day. :shock:

noworriesfarm
Yearling

Postby noworriesfarm » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:26 pm

How bout this one- hip # 1552 sold today for 19k
By Giants Causeway, out of a stakes placed dam who is a full sister to DANEHILL!!! :!: :!:

AscotStud
Grade III Winner

Postby AscotStud » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:08 am

How bout this one- hip # 1552 sold today for 19k
By Giants Causeway, out of a stakes placed dam who is a full sister to DANEHILL!!!

with all the bad pedigrees in the 1st book, why was it hip #1552?
too weird to live...too rare to die
www.ascotstudfarm.com

AscotStud
Grade III Winner

Postby AscotStud » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:26 am

now I know...after looking at the page

It's hard for someone to get excited about a 2yo that the owners loved so much they dumped it after breaking it as a yearling.

I can see the adds now...Danehill is under the 3rd dam for this unraced son of Giant's Causeway, he isn't a dime a dozen...
That's why the sales are down, because someone out there thinks horses like this are worth 3x what they sell for and are their agents stick them with the end result and collect their commish.
too weird to live...too rare to die

www.ascotstudfarm.com

pokeyman
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby pokeyman » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:56 pm

mightyhijames wrote:i'll be interested to see what HAP goes for (#1938).

$7300. :shock:

barbfool
Yearling

Postby barbfool » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:53 pm

Definitely is a buyers market, I picked up a mare that has produced a stakes winner of over 184k and 3 other winners from 5 starters, in-foal to a $10,000. stud fee for a ham sandwich and a cold draft. Probably could have bought several others like her in the same price range.

Bedouwia
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Bedouwia » Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:16 am

Barbfool -- I think you need a new moniker, you are no fool. This sale is a good opportunity for folks to get some promising mares, for next to nothing. I wish that I was in a position to be there doing that. Best of luck with her.

Bedouwia

springboro
Grade II Winner

Postby springboro » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:19 pm

I'm watching the video feed with a huge lump in my throat. I know that my filly will not go for anything at all despite being one of 200 Indiana-bred foals for 2008. It's my own fault... I know better.

When I bought her dam she had so many 1/2 sibs with shining futures. I hoped and gambled and lost. Her catalog page is just too light.

Maybe I should breed for color... those at least seem to sell for a profit.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:00 pm

Was yours #2304 that just went for $3500? If so you have done one whole heckuva lot better than a lot of other short yearlings - and I think you beat all of the others by Andromeda's Hero.

You might have been better off to "OUT" her and put her in race training. It's a tough row to hoe this year, and I don't see the sales market improving for at least 2 or 3 years.

I agree with the poster who complained about the 150-200 mare books. But that is just a contributing factor. Like the economy, which just took so many different contributing factors it created a "perfect storm," TB breeders are watching the wind snatch away their profits on the heels of the maelstrom of the global economic meltdown.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

springboro
Grade II Winner

Postby springboro » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:15 pm

yes, that was my girl and i was shocked she went for that much when all the other AHs were tanking at $1000. It has to be the Indiana-bred part, because it certainly wasn't her shiny short coat or her pedigree!

So... I'm still out a lot of money, but it could have been much worse!

springboro
Grade II Winner

Postby springboro » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:57 pm

pokeyman wrote:
mightyhijames wrote:i'll be interested to see what HAP goes for (#1938).

$7300. :shock:

I hope that means he's coming to Indiana!! Wonder what his stud fee will be?

vallygirl927
Allowance Winner

Postby vallygirl927 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:15 pm

just curious, what's the big deal with indiana breds?

springboro
Grade II Winner

Postby springboro » Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:35 pm

In a nutshell, very large purses for very few horses running in restricted company.

vallygirl927
Allowance Winner

Postby vallygirl927 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:07 pm

Oh I see. That's cool!

Roguelet

Postby Roguelet » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:56 am

Springboro: Wish granted. Hap will be standing in Indiana. There's a season to him available on the ITOBA auction...
"Don't be a boorish buffoon" -Hokies Respect 'Jerk Alert'