Timonium sale....

Talk about upcoming sales or auction results.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

Monmouth Matt
Allowance Winner

Timonium sale....

Postby Monmouth Matt » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:11 am

Is it just me, or does there seem to be a nice catalog of pedigrees this year? Always a few interesting horsesin the sale, but I'm impressed this year. Could be that the weak previous yearling/juvi. sales have forced horses that would normally sell in Keeneland or OBS to still be available.
And DOWN the stretch they come!

LB
Eclipse Champion

Postby LB » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:44 pm

I agree. This year's book does seem to have a lot of nice pages in it. I hope the sale goes well.

Hold Your Peace
Allowance Winner

Postby Hold Your Peace » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:37 pm

Browsing the catalog I came across a filly that I thought would be a fun one for the fans of Phipps breeding.

http://www.fasigtipton.com/catalogs/2009/0518/383.pdf

Her sire is out of the Phipps Heavenly Prize. Her dam, by the Phipps Easy Goer, is a sister to the Phipps Furlough.

And she's RF inbred 4x2 to the Phipps Blitey.

But then I investigated this filly's dam a little further and decided it might not be that fun to buy this one.

Considering the quality of the sires this filly's dam has been bred to I would describe her produce record as horrific-

LOPING ALONG, 1993, Easy Goer- Blitey by Riva Ridge
Produce:

1998 Toasting,Ch,c,Hennessy
Unraced

1999 Fast Look,B,f,Seeking The Gold
Unraced

2000 Nice Canter,Dk B/,f,Seeking The Gold
1 win in 16 starts earning $65,850

2001 Canter,B,c,Silver Deputy
Unraced

2002 Dead Aim,B,f,Silver Deputy
Unraced

2004 Pursuing,Dk B/,c,Seeking The Gold
Unplaced in 6 starts at 4 (2008) earning $2,000

2005 Sister Of Mercy,Ch,f,Holy Bull
Unplaced in 3 starts at 3 (2008) earning $549

2006 Hot Pace,B,c,Roaring Fever
Once 3rd in 4 starts at 2 (2008) earning $6,721

2007 Unnamed,f,Pure Prize (subject filly)

2009 KY bred foal by Stormello

I mean if better than half a million dollars worth of stud fees only got you a 1 for 16 winner, three non-winners, and four non-runners from eight foals of racing age I don't see how Pure Prize is going to get you what Seeking The Gold, Silver Deputy, Hennessy, and Holy Bull couldn't get you (which is a decent runner).

No disrespect intended to Pure Prize whose been a nice sire, especially of fillies, but I just wouldn't bet on the ninth time being the charm for this mare.

clh
Grade I Winner

Postby clh » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:17 am

I hope the sale goes well too :wink: Let's cross our fingers for hip 159 (Toccet filly out of Allou).
"We are the people our parents warned us about" - Jimmy Buffett

"My occupational hazard is that my occupation is just not around" - Jimmy Buffett

Monmouth Matt
Allowance Winner

Postby Monmouth Matt » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:15 am

In reviewing my catalog this weekend, I found the NY Breds really jumping out at me. I think it's a nice example of what a state breeding program can do if there is a well-defined state-bred incentive. I know from a racing angle some feel that maybe NY has gone overboard with state-breds ....especially w/ some fairly weak SPA cards, but the positive is the nice jump in class we're seeing from the breeding pool recently.
And DOWN the stretch they come!