Two Year Old Sales Waaay down.

Talk about upcoming sales or auction results.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

tbrace
Restricted Stakes Winner

Two Year Old Sales Waaay down.

Postby tbrace » Wed May 13, 2009 7:55 pm

Talked to another big-time trainer today who said he was through with two year old sales, because most of the horses "Are used up" by the time they get through the sales process.

The two year old sales are way down this year, some more than the sales in general.

I wonder if people are getting wise to the idea that breezing yearlings and early two year olds (and many start when they are yearlings) just isn't that good of a long term plan.

Yes, there are exceptions, we all know their names, but oh, man, all those others that don't make it . . .

dray33
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby dray33 » Thu May 14, 2009 4:22 am

I don't want to come to the defense of two-year old sales "using up horses" because in some cases that is true. But much of this post is factually wrong, or misleading tbrace.

First, I have used several different people to prep my juveniles and not ONE is "breezing yearlings". They begin prep usually at the end of the year (December), and aren't testing, or breezing till a few weeks before a sale. Is it a good plan? Not for some. Just like yearling prep, you have to buy from good, trustworthy people. Some horses aren't ready for either.

As for the sales being waaay down, EVERY sale is way down, the juvenile sales are holding out surprisingly well. Look at the Sales and Breeding News archives at bloodhorse.com. The yearling sales were killed. Is that because of poor yearling prep? It is not a fair assessment. Two year old sales have done better, into the teeth of a major recession, because many good horses come from them. Time and again.

It's a great time to be a buyer... certainly not a seller. In any market.

Fireslam
Allowance Winner

Postby Fireslam » Thu May 14, 2009 6:38 am

Actually, the OBS April 2 year old sale was one of the best sales this year. And the list of good horses that have come out of 2 year old sales is nauseatingly long.

Actually, many of the old timers used to breeze their long yearlings a little bit. They had to, in order to get them ready for the 2 year old races in February. Anyone who would do just a tiny bit of research would see that the racing industry has been racing 2 year olds for nearly a 100 years. Many of the top horses in the 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's, began their careers in the spring of their 2 year old year.

LB
Eclipse Champion

Postby LB » Thu May 14, 2009 7:00 am

I have to agree with dray and Fireslam.

Yes, the results are down at the 2YO sales but overall those sales are doing better than either the yearling or breeding stock sales. The math is pretty clear--buyers want horses that are at least partway through the process and as Fireslam pointed out "the list of good horses that have come out of two year old sales is nauseatingly long".

As with any horse sale, buyers need to know what they're doing, deal with consignors they trust, and buy with a great deal of caution. In the horse business, "getting wise" is always a good thing. :wink:

Rahy85
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Rahy85 » Fri May 15, 2009 7:09 pm

I would agree with LB and Dray as well... with one exception: Barretts May. On the surface, it appeared to be in line with most other sales (down 30%), but when you take into account how strong that catalog was relative to prior May sales (it was a borderline March catalog), the results were very, very disappointing for consignors.

I'm really worried about Barretts in the long term... and CA as a whole.

karenkarenn
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby karenkarenn » Sat May 16, 2009 7:54 pm

Well their were alot of horses that withdrew, yes its because they werent getting the stud fees back, but dang I had my sites set on a couple and they withdrew at barrets
So no sale.

ct2346
Starters Handicap

Postby ct2346 » Tue May 19, 2009 2:16 pm

I would say that Timonium wasn't way down. It was actually a very solid performance. I think a lot of people recognize this as a good middle market sale at which you can buy a useful runner.

Don't have the stats but I'd say that they're down less than 10% from last year. Very respectable.

LB
Eclipse Champion

Postby LB » Tue May 19, 2009 4:22 pm

Results from the F-T Mid Atlantic sale:

Gross: $10,522,500

Average $42, 601 (down 12% from 2008)

Median: $25,000 (down 11% from 2008)

RNA rate: 23% (down from '08 RNA rate of 34%)

tbrace
Restricted Stakes Winner

sales

Postby tbrace » Wed May 27, 2009 6:45 pm

Barrett's May was down 43% according to TB Times. This is from last year, that was also down. The market is in trouble, but so are some 2 year old sales.

Regarding Barrett's specifically, many big consignors of the recent past, a few who have been very tight with sale management, are perceived to deliver horses that are used up by sale time.

Not good for the sale, the market, consignor, or buyer.

The bottom line is still good horsemanship: Running two year olds in sub 11 and sub 12 furlongs is crazy, and not good for most horses.

TB Times recently ran an excellent article saying as much. It was apologized for the next week, after pressure from 2 yo sale advertisers, but the facts were there, and still are. Lots of horses are hurt in sale training, withdrawn from sales, and don't do well after the sales.

Sad, but true. A list of horses that raced after 2 yo sales doesn't change the facts that many many horses involved in 2 yo sales don't make it to the sale (see the "withdrawn" list in any sale), and/or don't reach their potential after training so hard as very early two year olds.

bdw0617
Darley line

Postby bdw0617 » Fri May 29, 2009 9:58 pm

i think there is a direct correlation between the decline of the "golden years of racin" and the fast riase of the popularity of 2YO in training sales.

back then you had less foals being born and more great horses. now we have 35k a year and somehow we struggle to fill race cards.
"When the solution is simple, God is answering.”
- Einstein

tbrace
Restricted Stakes Winner

sales

Postby tbrace » Fri May 29, 2009 10:41 pm

Well said, bd. I think you are very right about that.