Anyone at Fasig-Tipton Midlantic 2-Y-O's In Training Sale?

Talk about upcoming sales or auction results.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

dray33
Breeder's Cup Contender

Anyone at Fasig-Tipton Midlantic 2-Y-O's In Training Sale?

Postby dray33 » Thu May 14, 2009 7:16 am

From a profit and loss point of view, I had a dismal '09 pinhooking. My best prospects always seemed to get those small, nagging injuries (which always takes them off the sales path) one didn't "bloom" like expected, and was just "weak". To show you how bad it was, of the six I started with only one sold. A Vindication filly that I took a hit on. There may be a rainbow at the end of the tunnel, three of the unsold horses are looking like serious race horses... so far :wink:

Anyway, yesterday my last sales horse breezed at the show. He is an Indian Charlie colt (hip 63), (we should have sold at Kenneland, but the paperwork got botched). Consignor called: "Easy breeze at 22 flat, galloped out 35 perfectly. The video will show you, he's a beautiful mover and one of the best horses I have here. He's not the flashiest thing at the end of a shank, plain like Indian Charlie, but a real two-turn kind of horse"

The video is up ( http://www.fasigtipton.com/fasig-tipton ... ow=1&pag=3 ), scroll down to Hip #63... if anyone was there, please let me know what you thought.

jellac
Grade I Winner

Postby jellac » Thu May 14, 2009 2:29 pm

He looks like a good mover over the track - fluid, long strides made with very little effort and no tiring/weakening that I saw.

IF you have to take one home with you I'd not be too sad to have him in my van/string.

KBEquine
Grade III Winner

Postby KBEquine » Mon May 18, 2009 6:18 am

Dray, sure doesn't hurt to have your colt highlighted in the TB Times Today --

Hip #63, bay colt, by Indian Charlie—Stormy Society, by
Storm Creek
“Indian Charlie is no secret, and this colt
is typical of the sire. His video is great. He’s
smooth and athletic, and he’s still growing.
He’s a very uncomplicated horse—clean and
sound—and he should fit the market well.”

Niall Brennan, who consigns the colt on behalf
of Rayzin the Bar Stables, which purchased
him for $125,000 at the 2008 Fasig-Tipton
Kentucky July sale of selected yearlings. The colt
worked two furlongs in :22

Best of luck, today. We may go watch.

dray33
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby dray33 » Mon May 18, 2009 6:30 am

Wow, I didn't get to see that KB (and I can't find it online!)... thank you for posting it. I will set a reasonable reserve... things were different when I bought him :? Thinking it should be around the purchase price. I don't mind taking a hit on horses that don't pan out (happened a LOT this year)... but when one is doing this well and looks talented, might be worth taking a chance on racing them. I'll be watching at fasigtipton.com!

HR LLC
Starters Handicap

Postby HR LLC » Mon May 18, 2009 11:54 am

sold for 100k...

dray33
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby dray33 » Mon May 18, 2009 12:38 pm

Bad year for pinhooking. VERY good buy for Buzz, wish him luck, but I was very torn about selling him at that price. Nothing left to do but wish the new connections lots of luck...

jellac
Grade I Winner

Postby jellac » Mon May 18, 2009 1:17 pm

Agree with your assessment that it was a VERY Good buy for Buzz.

Take comfort in this: you can't 'own' them all and while he went for under your (total) investment $$$$, at least he's in good hands to realize his potential. Though it isn't anyone's 'mission' at the start of a pinhooking effort - it doesn't hurt to be known for having a sold 'a very good colt' - even if it was a VERY good buy for someone else. If the pinhooks were always 'good sales' and never 'good buys' this market would dry up altogether. When the market reverses again - as it sooner or later always does - buyers will come to check out the quality offerings you've been identified as having. It's easy to worry about the 'one that got away' for less than you'd hoped to bring in BUT keep in mind you've got three that didn't make it to the sales that are now looking like they might be racehorses. Your pinhooking profit/pay-off may ultimately come from their ranks - may it be so!

dray33
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby dray33 » Mon May 18, 2009 1:49 pm

Very good advice jellac! So that's the end of a dismal pinhooking season for me. Now, I am hoping of the 4 horses that didn't sell, at least one is the real deal, and can recover some losses. About on par with the stock market ;)

What a GREAT time to be a buyer!

Lisann
Allowance Winner

Postby Lisann » Mon May 18, 2009 1:59 pm

Sorry to hear you didn't get more for him.
True, it is a great time to be a buyer. As a breeder, I figure my odds of winning races increase with smaller crop sizes, too.

KBEquine
Grade III Winner

Postby KBEquine » Mon May 18, 2009 2:48 pm

Good advice, jellac. I got there after he went through the ring. Stayed to watch clh's filly - #159 - who RNA'd at $75k. Really nice filly.

clh
Grade I Winner

Postby clh » Tue May 19, 2009 5:02 am

Thanks KBEquine! We like her alot - that's why we decided to keep her and not give her away. She's a big girl who we believe has talent so I guess we are now in the racing business as well as the breeding business :shock:
"We are the people our parents warned us about" - Jimmy Buffett

"My occupational hazard is that my occupation is just not around" - Jimmy Buffett

clh
Grade I Winner

Postby clh » Tue May 19, 2009 6:41 am

UPDATE: Our consignor, bless him, got the job done after the sale I believe so she won't be coming home after all!

"My occupational hazard is that my occupation is just not around" - Jimmy Buffett

KBEquine
Grade III Winner

Postby KBEquine » Tue May 19, 2009 9:16 am

Good to hear - but if you don't mind being in the racing biz, she looked like she'd be a fun one.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Tue May 19, 2009 12:20 pm

Good for you, clh.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

clh
Grade I Winner

Postby clh » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:43 am

Nope - she's coming home after all. She stayed in VA to recoup after an illness she got on the sales grounds - we couldn't agree on a price :) She shipped to Louisville today to a trainer. He's going to look at her and see what he thinks - looks like we are in the racing business afterall.

Now we'll need to come up with a name for Tallulah.

I had thought about: Toccetful of Slew