Back to Pedigree Query
It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:10 pm 
Grade III Winner

Is it permissible to have a qualified rider/jockey "test drive" a horse?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:21 pm 
Allowance Winner

Patuxet wrote:

That would be between the seller and potential buyer. You could approach the owner or trainer and ask. I am assuming you want "your guy" on the horse?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:28 pm 
Eclipse Champion

I'm not sure you'd be able to find a trainer/consignor willing to let you put your own guy on a horse, but if so, it would probably be more likely to happen for a morning work rather than the sales breeze itself.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:27 pm 
Weanling

Patuxet wrote:

I really dont see the point of it...Youre going solo. A quarter at best... So what's a jock gonna tell you that a good eye wont?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:37 pm 
Newborn

Langfuhr wrote:
Patuxet wrote:

I really dont see the point of it...Youre going solo. A quarter at best... So what's a jock gonna tell you that a good eye wont?

The majority of them couldn't tell you anything :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:16 pm 
Weanling

very doubtful - why would they risk the safety of the horse. Even if it was a jockey, still doubt it - the exercise riders that breeze these horses are more than capable to show you the horses potential. These consigners trust their riders to get the best work out of them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:21 pm 
2yo Maiden

I don't know any consignor that would agree to it. Too much liability for the consignor. Besides, what exactly is the point? If you can't tell anything about the horse by watching it gallop/breeze, then you should find/hire someone that can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:04 pm 
Allowance Winner

Rachel Alexandra wrote:
I don't know any consignor that would agree to it. Too much liability for the consignor. Besides, what exactly is the point? If you can't tell anything about the horse by watching it gallop/breeze, then you should find/hire someone that can.

Why would there be different liability? The only people possible to get on it would be a licensed jock or exercise rider. I don't think the OP is suggesting putting his/her hunter coach up. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:04 pm 
Weanling

Anyone who "thinks" they can ride can aquire an exercise riders license - doesnt mean they have a clue!!!! So anyone but the consigners exercise rider wouldnt even be considered.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:07 am 
2yo Maiden

Fair Play wrote:
Rachel Alexandra wrote:

Why would there be different liability? The only people possible to get on it would be a licensed jock or exercise rider. I don't think the OP is suggesting putting his/her hunter coach up. ;)

Well, let's see, for beginners, the consignor hires the rider and more than likely, that rider is protected under the consignors workers comp. Secondly, the consignor is also responsible for the horses well being and putting some other rider on that he is not familar with wouldn't be the greatest idea without knowing the capabilities of that rider.
Like I stated earlier - if a person can't see with their own eyes how a horse is going they need to hire someone that can. A consignor would laugh anyone out of their barn coming in with the question "can I have my own rider get on the horse?" 100% would say NO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:41 pm 
Grade II Winner

I would be thrilled if they jogged them a few steps on pavement when they showed them to you. Anything more than that is lunacy.