Who Can Gallop Horses In 2YOs In Training Sales?

Talk about upcoming sales or auction results.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

Patuxet
Grade III Winner

Who Can Gallop Horses In 2YOs In Training Sales?

Postby Patuxet » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:10 pm

Is it permissible to have a qualified rider/jockey "test drive" a horse?

Fair Play
Allowance Winner

Re: Who Can Gallop Horses In 2YOs In Training Sales?

Postby Fair Play » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:21 pm

Patuxet wrote:Is it permissible to have a qualified rider/jockey "test drive" a horse?

That would be between the seller and potential buyer. You could approach the owner or trainer and ask. I am assuming you want "your guy" on the horse?

LB
Eclipse Champion

Postby LB » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:28 pm

I'm not sure you'd be able to find a trainer/consignor willing to let you put your own guy on a horse, but if so, it would probably be more likely to happen for a morning work rather than the sales breeze itself.

Langfuhr
Weanling

Postby Langfuhr » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:27 pm

Patuxet wrote:Is it permissible to have a qualified rider/jockey "test drive" a horse?

I really dont see the point of it...Youre going solo. A quarter at best... So what's a jock gonna tell you that a good eye wont?

tooosalty
Newborn

Postby tooosalty » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:37 pm

Langfuhr wrote:

I really dont see the point of it...Youre going solo. A quarter at best... So what's a jock gonna tell you that a good eye wont?

The majority of them couldn't tell you anything :wink:

klb114
Weanling

Postby klb114 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:16 pm

very doubtful - why would they risk the safety of the horse. Even if it was a jockey, still doubt it - the exercise riders that breeze these horses are more than capable to show you the horses potential. These consigners trust their riders to get the best work out of them.

Rachel Alexandra
2yo Maiden

Postby Rachel Alexandra » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:21 pm

I don't know any consignor that would agree to it. Too much liability for the consignor. Besides, what exactly is the point? If you can't tell anything about the horse by watching it gallop/breeze, then you should find/hire someone that can.

Fair Play
Allowance Winner

Postby Fair Play » Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:04 pm

Rachel Alexandra wrote:I don't know any consignor that would agree to it. Too much liability for the consignor. Besides, what exactly is the point? If you can't tell anything about the horse by watching it gallop/breeze, then you should find/hire someone that can.

Why would there be different liability? The only people possible to get on it would be a licensed jock or exercise rider. I don't think the OP is suggesting putting his/her hunter coach up. ;)

klb114
Weanling

Postby klb114 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:04 pm

Anyone who "thinks" they can ride can aquire an exercise riders license - doesnt mean they have a clue!!!! So anyone but the consigners exercise rider wouldnt even be considered.

Rachel Alexandra
2yo Maiden

Postby Rachel Alexandra » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:07 am

Fair Play wrote:
Rachel Alexandra wrote:I don't know any consignor that would agree to it. Too much liability for the consignor. Besides, what exactly is the point? If you can't tell anything about the horse by watching it gallop/breeze, then you should find/hire someone that can.

Why would there be different liability? The only people possible to get on it would be a licensed jock or exercise rider. I don't think the OP is suggesting putting his/her hunter coach up. ;)

Well, let's see, for beginners, the consignor hires the rider and more than likely, that rider is protected under the consignors workers comp. Secondly, the consignor is also responsible for the horses well being and putting some other rider on that he is not familar with wouldn't be the greatest idea without knowing the capabilities of that rider.
Like I stated earlier - if a person can't see with their own eyes how a horse is going they need to hire someone that can. A consignor would laugh anyone out of their barn coming in with the question "can I have my own rider get on the horse?" 100% would say NO.

Laurierace
Grade II Winner

Postby Laurierace » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:41 pm

I would be thrilled if they jogged them a few steps on pavement when they showed them to you. Anything more than that is lunacy.