Naming yearling before sale

Talk about upcoming sales or auction results.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

Supernova
Maiden Special Weight

Naming yearling before sale

Postby Supernova » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:24 am

I would really like to name my filly before we sell her next year in the yearling sale. I know it's frowned upon, but will it really deter buyers?

thanks!

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:36 am

This is just my opinion. It seems that most of the buyers who purchase yearlings would like to name their racing prospect themselves. But at the very least, if you name the horse, you imply that you intended to race it yourself. Having a named yearling in the sale can imply that you are now "dumping" the horse. That connotation can deter potential buyers.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

LB
Eclipse Champion

Postby LB » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:54 am

I don't think most buyers will be deterred--in the whole scheme of buying a yearling whether or not it's already been named is just not that important.

But as Madelyn said, most buyers prefer to name their own. So you should be prepared for the fact that if you sell the yearling, the new owner will probably rename it.

Tappiano
Grade II Winner

Postby Tappiano » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:39 am

Some buyers do not want them named, including a few big one's. But that is hearsay since I heard it from a seller who was told not to do that again by a famous buyer.

Dave C
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Dave C » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:15 am

"A good name is worth much fine gold". If you come up with a great, appropriate name for your horse it will add value to your horse as even the people who like to name their own will like the name. On the other hand if people don't like the name you choose it will lower the potential value of the horse because the bidders are bidding with a negative attitude towards the name.

merse
Allowance Winner

Postby merse » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:37 am

I don't buy the fact that a named horse brings less money. If the new owners don't like the name, they can simply change it. Section V, Paragraph 6.D of the Jockey Club rules allow a horse's name to be changed at any time until it starts it first race.

Sysonby
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Sysonby » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:12 am

Some people thinks it bad luck to change the name of a horse. The best story I ever heard about it in connection with a sale has to do with the half sister to Holy Bull. She had been named something like Bill's Holy Cow by the original owner and a pinhooker bought her and either canceled the name or somehow persuaded Barretts not to print the name in the catalog because he was afraid of the effect on the price by such a goofy name.

She was bought for a bunch of money and sure enough the new owner changed the name....

to Ed's Holy Cow.
:D

Happy
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Happy » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:35 am

I name all my foals. I try to be original and I think all the names are really nice and some very clever and would not be an embrassment to the horse. Even one of my foals that is in Dubai name was kept by the new owners.

I put a lot of money, blood, sweat and tears in these babies and I think I have a right to name them. If the new owner wants to change it, so be it.

winds
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby winds » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:25 am

I've named all my babies and have had no problem selling them. All brought more money than the consignor thought they'd bring and we made money so we're not going to change our ways. If the new owner wants to change the name so be it, have had one changed the rest stayed the same.

winds

Crystal
Freshman Sire

Postby Crystal » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:40 am

It's bad luck to say good luck on opening night..

It doesn't really matter..

klb114
Weanling

Postby klb114 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:10 pm

I agree that it may look like you named the horse because you were going to race it and now you are selling the horse. But when it comes down to it, if its a nice horse it will sell well regardless that you named it or not - the new owners can change it if they wish. Its the furtherest thing from a buyers mind when they look through a cataloge.