Mountain Springs Arena mixed sale at Shartlesville, Pa.

Talk about upcoming sales or auction results.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

Bohemia
Starters Handicap

Mountain Springs Arena mixed sale at Shartlesville, Pa.

Postby Bohemia » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:24 am

Anybody here heading over for it? Starts at noon on Sunday - definitely a much-improved catalog from years past. There is a 30-plus horse supplement that's not in the main book, some decently-bred Pa.-breds. General manager Rich Miller has put in a training track on the property so people can watch the young horses and horses in training gallop. Should be interesting.

winds
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby winds » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:32 am

Have the catalog and am planning on it.

winds

ASB
Starters Handicap

Postby ASB » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:06 am

If anyone goes, check out 127 for me. I own a nice filly under the 2nd dam and would love to know if the family physical is set. They tend to be large and a little offset in the front but with a powerful hip.

And the catalog does have a few bright spots. There two or three mares that deserve to be bred in there. If they go real cheap, someone is going to get a great deal.

wgc517
Allowance Winner

Postby wgc517 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:57 pm

Does anyone have this catalog in excel format?
If not do u have a contact number for Rich Miller.

thanks

KBEquine
Grade III Winner

Postby KBEquine » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:17 pm

Holy crap. I'm glad you all said something - one of my favorite mare's only daughters is in the catalog!

merse
Allowance Winner

Postby merse » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:16 am

Is the catalog available online?

Bohemia
Starters Handicap

Postby Bohemia » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:14 pm

Yes, here it is, Merse ... scroll down on the page. The first link contains the supplement (it is a few pages past the index), the second link is the main catalog.

http://www.mountainspringarena.com/hsale.html

Bohemia
Starters Handicap

Postby Bohemia » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:28 am

Did anyone from here get to this sale yesterday? I have to say it was fairly well attended, but the prices, as was expected, were low. Lots of yearlings and broodmares didn't bring any bids. There was interest in the broke and galloping 2-year-olds, though. They started at about 12:20, I left at 6 p.m. and they still had 30+ horses to sell! I just don't like the way they take forever to sell one horse, some stay in the ring for over 10 minutes each while the auctioneer begs and pleads for bids, then talks up the consignors. It's all well and good that he says nice things, but it was hot and loud and at 6 p.m. I just couldn't take any more. By the time I left, the top price was $8,100 for a 2-year-old Storm Center colt, Hip 10. Also, a Petionville yearling brought $7,000, Hip 48. All in all, not a very strong sale.

winds
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby winds » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:32 am

Now I'm disappointed we didn't continue, we were stuck in a traffic jam on 81 trying to get to 78 because of an accident. At 2pm (after being there for about 1 1/2 hours) we decided to turn around. I figured with only 130 horses by the time we got there it would be almost over. Damn!

winds

Bohemia
Starters Handicap

Postby Bohemia » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:58 am

Oh heck, Winds, they were just getting started around 2 p.m.! Matter of fact, the reason they delayed the start until 12:20 or so was because of that accident.

ASB
Starters Handicap

Postby ASB » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:53 am

Is there a link to the results anywhere?

KBEquine
Grade III Winner

Postby KBEquine » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:10 am

We were there - and Bohemia pretty much said it all!

I think high horse of the sale was Hip #97 at $15,000, a 2 y.o. Lite The Fuse filly who was broke & galloping & consigned by Pin Oak Lane. There were something like 3 bidders on her & I think the 3 bidders knew something the rest of us didn't, like they'd seen her gallop or something, because I didn't think on conformation or on paper she was that much different than the other broke & galloping 2 y.o.s There was also a Lite The Fuse colt who RNA'd at $11,500, who I think would have been 2nd high horse at the sale, had he sold.

Then again, a Lite The Fuse yearling sold for $600, and a Lite The Fuse 3 y.o. filly - with her gate card - sold for $2400. (So it wasn't the fact she was a Lite The Fuse that made her sell well).

In general, no bids or minimal bids were the rule, not the exception, at the sale.

A Two Punch weanling colt out of a blacktype earner of $187,885 went for $3,000 (Two Punch's weanling colts averaged $16,667 in 2008) & an Outflanker weanling colt out of a stakes-winning earner of $237,203 went for $2,800 (Outflanker didn't have any weanling colts sell in 2008, but his lifetime average was $11,498). The Two Punch is a little smaller than I'd expect, but both were nice colts. But truthfully, I expected them to bring $1,000 or less at THIS sale, even though Two Punches almost always sell well & Outflanker sure has his fans, too.

On the other hand, I thought my favorite 2 y.o. filly - broke & galloping on what they referred to as a "European style turf gallop" sold for $625. And it was difficult not to bid (except we still owe part of a 2009 stud fee & have no open stalls, all of which made the decision to NOT bid easier.) I later heard she was an RNA after all. I do NOT need another horse . . .

SO, if anyone wants a 2 y.o. PA-bred filly, galloping a mile, likely to excel on turf (her dam earned more than $160k on turf & established a course record at Laurel) just let me know . . . I'd love to see her get to the right racing home. She's smallish, as was her mother, which didn't help the filly's cause at the sale & didn't hurt the mare's cause on the turf!)

Winds - sorry you didn't make it. I was scanning the crowd to see you.

ASB - almost NONE of the broodmares sold & if they did, they brought a minimal bid. I didn't get a good look at #127 & wasn't at ringside when she went through - I was helping a friend load those 2 weanling colts onto his trailer.

Bohemia
Starters Handicap

Postby Bohemia » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:37 pm

KB Equine, who bought those weanling colts? You can PM me if you'd prefer. Also, what is the Hip No. of the filly you are looking to give away?

winds
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby winds » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:34 pm

If I had known it was going to go on for so long we would have continued. We didn't know how much longer we were going to be in traffic, shoot!!!!

If anyone is going to Timonium we will be there, need to talk to Chip Landry about consigning our filly next year. Want to show him pics, pedigree updates etc.

Sorry we missed meeting those we haven't met and seeing those we have (KB Equine ).

winds

KBEquine
Grade III Winner

Postby KBEquine » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:08 pm

To clarify my own post (because I didn't say it right the first time) when I said my favorite 2 y.o. filly, I meant my favorite 2 y.o. that someone else consigned - we didn't have anything at the sale.

I know the filly didn't have a reserve & after the auction they were making deals on horses that didn't sell.

But Bohemia, in a few minutes, you'll have a PM.