CTHS Sept. 09 Yearling Select Sales

Talk about upcoming sales or auction results.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

Maureen
Allowance Winner

Postby Maureen » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:52 am

I don't necessarily mean prices when I talk of bringing this sale up to par with others, although that would be nice. I'm talking more of quality vs quantity, and an office that is up to date on things. Did you know that the computer program in the national office is from 1999?

It is just little things that would make such a big difference to the perception of the CTHS sale. When the CTHS sent us a proof of the sales page for the catalogue, it wasn't even up to date. I had to buy one from equineline, and forward it to the office. What are we paying an entry fee for? And then, even though we gave the sales company the updates from since the catalogue was printed, they didn't even pass those along.

Why should we be responsible for these things when we are paying someone else to do it. You are further ahead to consign yourself, but then they will stick you in the back corner of the last barn. :roll:

The sale needs to get some class. It's my understanding that there was even one sales company whose head was going around badmouthing other consignors' horses so badly that the others finally took it to the CTHS to complain.

I realize that there is a lot of background politics that I am not privy to, but my experience as a first time consignor was not pleasant.

K~2
Starters Handicap

Postby K~2 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:19 am

I think in addition to the struggling economy, one of the reasons prices were down this year (especially for the open session) is because of the uncertainty with Fort Erie racetrack.
Legal Jousting (Indian Ridge X In Anticipation - Sadler's Wells) standing at Kingsgate Stud

Gallop58
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Gallop58 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:32 am

OK, I think we're talking about different things... Being your own consignor is like jumping in a shark tank in my opinion. It's ok, if you're a shark yourself but not so nice if your a little fish..... I'm glad you made it out alive!
Being consignor friendly vs. changing things to improve the sale in general are likely two separate bites off the apple. (And big ones at that)

Cheers,

Maureen
Allowance Winner

Postby Maureen » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:45 pm

We had a big-name agent, but my partner did all the work herself, so yes we got out alive, but that is why I mentioned about the consigning yourself part, as we certainly didn't get value from using the agent, and our fellow looked a lot better than most.

K~2, I agree whole-heartedly with you on the Fort Erie issue also having an effect on prices. Where will people run those horses that are not good enough for Woodbine if we don't open? You certainly aren't going to take a chance on a yearling if you don't know where he belongs!

Was speaking with a Woodbine trainer at the sale (someone who does have success ) and he was asked for his thoughts on Fort Erie closing. He couldn't care less, and I honestly believe that that is the mentality of a lot of Woodbine trainers. What would happen to those horses that would normally run down here for Woodbine owners, and steal a cheque from us? With a flick of his hand, he said: "get rid of them!"

Which brings me to another subject. How can the CTHS be encouraging people to buy Canadian with the incentive program, but as soon as that horse is claimed, the horse is no longer elegible for those bonuses? Doesn't make sense to me, or is it just me that feels this way? If you want us to 'buy Canadian" then extend those bonuses to Canadian owners. Otherwise we'll just claim something that's FL or KY bred and beat those little Ontario breds (hopefully).

And that brings up something else. In other racing jurisdictions, are there strictly state-bred claimers? We seem to have only MSW for Ontario breds, and have been told by trainers that the company isn't that tough but once you're out of those, you're back up against those same state-breds that will whoop our butts. Why can't we have strictly Ontario-bred claimers instead of just offering bonuses that shore up the purses for Ontario-breds?

And for that matter, why can't Fort Erie have claiming races that are for Fort Erie horses only. Much as I like Woodbine, I sure don't appreciate having that purse money go back up there. :(

Please understand that this is not a case of sour grapes, we've just been throwing thoughts around after having been through this experience. We went in knowing that we wouldn't get a lot for our fellow, but would have appreciated some kind of sign that we are headed in the right direction. Unfortunately, we don't have the big bucks it would take to (hopefully) get a yearling to his first race as a two-year-old.

AscotStud
Grade III Winner

Postby AscotStud » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:23 pm

They have looked at everything upside down and sideways on how to improve things. If there is a new great idea, I know they'd think about it.

The sale "works" for those people in charge, so why change. I'll be as civil as possible and just say the CTHS has major issues, and I'm not just talking about the sales.

I posted earlier conducting the sale 2 days in a row instead of 4 days apart, with a true smaller select sale might be a pretty damn good start...if they can't fathom that, god help us all.
too weird to live...too rare to die
www.ascotstudfarm.com

Fair Play
Allowance Winner

Postby Fair Play » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:20 am

Maureen wrote:We had a big-name agent, but my partner did all the work herself, so yes we got out alive, but that is why I mentioned about the consigning yourself part, as we certainly didn't get value from using the agent, and our fellow looked a lot better than most.

I guess no agent can help if there are no buyers. :(

Maureen wrote:Was speaking with a Woodbine trainer at the sale (someone who does have success ) and he was asked for his thoughts on Fort Erie closing. He couldn't care less, and I honestly believe that that is the mentality of a lot of Woodbine trainers. What would happen to those horses that would normally run down here for Woodbine owners, and steal a cheque from us? With a flick of his hand, he said: "get rid of them!"

That is a crazy attitude, I suspect not shared by many! We race mostly at WO, but what about the cheap, slow, ones who hate poly, are too cheap for the better turf races.... or ones you CAN'T run for the tag they need at Woodbine? We need to either ship in to lose a condition or two to get out partially alive, give to a FE person to train, or sell for $3000 to say $7500 to a FE person which beats putting 6 months of training in to sell a healthy, sound, slow, horse to as a riding horse for $1500.... or less.

Maureen wrote:And for that matter, why can't Fort Erie have claiming races that are for Fort Erie horses only. Much as I like Woodbine, I sure don't appreciate having that purse money go back up there. :(

Please understand that this is not a case of sour grapes, we've just been throwing thoughts around after having been through this experience. We went in knowing that we wouldn't get a lot for our fellow, but would have appreciated some kind of sign that we are headed in the right direction. Unfortunately, we don't have the big bucks it would take to (hopefully) get a yearling to his first race as a two-year-old.

I think you need all the entries you can get. We may be based mostly at Woodbine, but like many others we have for over 3 decades raced at FE, been stabled there by times, paid day money by others, and sold horses that are competitive to FE trainers. It is not "us against them". Is there not still a rule that you must have run 3 x at FE to go in the local stakes?

I didn't know about the owner's awards vanishing on claimed horses as we don't claim any. That would be an incentive to claim ON horses rather than American ones for sure. Good point.