Back to Pedigree Query
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:06 am 

Looks like about 40+% RNA's so far. And I imagine some consignors were scrambling like mad to lower reserves after the early results.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:20 am 
Maiden Special Weight

Very weak, many of the big players are just not bidding much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:24 am 
Grade I Winner

Bloodbath, I think is the technical term.

The future holds a lot worse too.
As soon as the Sheik gets a son of Speightstown he will support him along with his other stallions.

And within 3 years you won't see the Sheik at Keeneland only Fasig Tipton.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:39 am 
Maiden Special Weight

#134, full brother to Cotton Blossom goes for 90K, come on. This was a nice looking colt, didn't see the vet report, but its a fire sale.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:47 am 
Grade I Winner

From the Bloodhorse reports, the Serena's Song's colt only brought $450k, and the Azeri's filly only $800k.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:29 pm 
Allowance Winner

I hope stallion managers are taking these prices to heart.

They probably won't go this far, but to give commercial breeders a fair chance at turning a profit the absolute top stud fee for even elite stallions like a Distorted Humor or Unbridled's Song or Medaglia D'oro should be around $50,000. And lesser stallions fees should be lower from there as you go down the scale. A 'super hot' new stallion just off the track should be around $10,000 or $15,000. Or somebody like Yes It's True should be around $15,000. I mean it looks like even if you have a yearling that checks all the boxes, out of a superb mare, and you hit a total home run that you shouldn't expect much more than $300k. And you can't base fees on the home runs. After these home runs in books 1 and 2 you're going to see some by top sires do well to bring $75,000.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:38 pm 
Allowance Winner

The entire market this coming spring will be up to the mare owners. If they dont book their mares early, if they wait to book mares until stallion owners drop fees, it will happen. If they decide not to breed mares next year, and sit out a year, fees will drop. Stallion managers do not want stallions standing around with nothing to do. I think there will be smart farms that will drop fees and work great deals in order to get mares, and then there will be farms that will be stubborn, thinking they are better than everyone else, that will be looking for business come February or March.

If I remember correctly, even last year around January and February, many good stallions were booking extremely slowly. This year will be even worse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:56 pm 
Grade I Winner

Hold Your Peace wrote:
I hope stallion managers are taking these prices to heart.

They probably won't go this far, but to give commercial breeders a fair chance at turning a profit

Nah its the breeders that should take note.

Sheik Mohammed and Sheik Hamdan gave breeders "cheap" stallions with good pedigree's & race records & the "Darley deal" and they shunned them.
Now the are standing $100,000 stallions and breeders can't get enough of them looking for the "home run".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:00 pm 
Restricted Stakes Winner

Hip #25 by Dynaformer out of Grade one millionaire Secret Status thus a half to Dunkirk, bidding stopped at 80k............he looked good in 2"x3" on my computer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:21 pm 
Maiden Special Weight

If you think times are tough, look on the bright side. You could be an owner of some Ghostzapper yearlings to sell. Now that's someone with something to be sad about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:26 pm 
Maiden Special Weight

stlouiskid wrote:
#134, full brother to Cotton Blossom goes for 90K, come on. This was a nice looking colt, didn't see the vet report, but its a fire sale.

Nice body - sketchy front end. The right front looked quite offset and rotated out a lot. I would guess Dogwood was the only one interested and it sold for a tick over the reserve.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:44 pm 
3rd Year Sire

It's about time sales prices dropped. Now instead of loosing an average of 300 thousand a horse they will only loose 200 k per horse..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:14 pm 

Yikes. Our General Sales Tax Fund took an ENORMOUS hit today. Total for the day was down over thirty two million compared to the first day last year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:22 pm 
Eclipse Champion

madelyn wrote:
Yikes. Our General Sales Tax Fund took an ENORMOUS hit today. Total for the day was down over thirty two million compared to the first day last year.

The state government of Kentucky has spent years telling the horsemen that they're not very important--today they reaped what they sowed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:40 pm 
Grade II Winner

Let's call it a Buyers Market for the little guys who want a chance to get a swing for the homerun for a change. I hate to see what happens later in the week and the next. If I had some extra cash I would look forward to it...

jm