Keeneland is looking pretty sad today

Talk about upcoming sales or auction results.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

Dave C
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Dave C » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:09 pm

madelyn wrote:Yikes. Our General Sales Tax Fund took an ENORMOUS hit today. Total for the day was down over thirty two million compared to the first day last year.

But now it will be easier to talk the state into allowing slots at the tracks to make up the difference. Of course the state might not want to share with the horsemen but hey slot are sltos.

Bohemia
Starters Handicap

Postby Bohemia » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:10 pm

stlouiskid wrote:If you think times are tough, look on the bright side. You could be an owner of some Ghostzapper yearlings to sell. Now that's someone with something to be sad about.

How about if you were one of those people who coughed up $100K to breed to Smarty Jones? I imagine a lot of them want to slit their throats.

clh
Grade I Winner

Postby clh » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:10 pm

I saw on another board that "rumor" had that although today's horses had the page and the looks, alot of them did not have the vetting. Sounds a little fishy to me, but non-the-less that's what the rumor-mill was .....
"We are the people our parents warned us about" - Jimmy Buffett

"My occupational hazard is that my occupation is just not around" - Jimmy Buffett

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:04 am

Sounds like consignor spin to me. $32 million worth of issues went through the ring. Yeah, sure.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

winds
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby winds » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:47 am

The BloodHorse is saying the top horses went through the Saratoga Sale that's why the downturn at Keenland. We're going to see a sale war starting next year with both going after the cream of the crop with no holds barred. What do you think?

winds

Dave C
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Dave C » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:56 am

Was someone other than the Sheikh buying at Saratoga? It would seem silly for Keeneland and Saratoga to get into a sales war when only one buyer propped up the numbers at Saratoga.

winds
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby winds » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:32 am

The Sheik wants Saratoga to become the new Keenland Select sale, he wasn't the only one bidding, though he did get the sale topper, it was because he was there that spurred others to bid higher. I don't think he's at Keenland, though his representatives are.

winds

ct2346
Starters Handicap

Postby ct2346 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:45 am

There's a lot more to this than just "all the good ones went to SAR". I just saw a Book One Giant's Causeway go through for 5k. This is going to have some serious impact to farms, consignors and breeders. You're going to see some significant turnover in the faces that you see at these sales over the next few years.

sparta
2yo Maiden

Postby sparta » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:51 am

I loved hip # 288 (Dynaformer-Awe That-Boundary). He didn't look much like a Dynaformer.

Bohemia
Starters Handicap

Postby Bohemia » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:09 am

ct2346 wrote:There's a lot more to this than just "all the good ones went to SAR". I just saw a Book One Giant's Causeway go through for 5k. This is going to have some serious impact to farms, consignors and breeders. You're going to see some significant turnover in the faces that you see at these sales over the next few years.

What was the matter with this one that it brought so little?

Daisy Jal Dastur
Allowance Winner

Postby Daisy Jal Dastur » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:24 pm

Quick question - how much time before a horse sells that he/she can be declared 'out' of the sale?

Example - after watching the bloodbath yesterday, I called a consignor friend of mine about a filly he was selling this afternoon - said everything was fine with her and they're looking at around $200K. My trainer called this morning sayign that he saw her and really liked her - he said that they were now looking for $170K-$180K. So, finally, I'm watching the auction online, waiting for her... only to find her declared 'out'!!! :evil:

Bedouwia
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Bedouwia » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:14 pm

Yikes -- despite a few million plus sales today, I just read that the sale is down 40% this year, and we are not to the hard part yet. That is like the hit to the stock market a year ago, but it is coming back.

Has anyone had any actual experience with the on-line bids for those that were not sold?

Bedouwia

karenkarenn
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby karenkarenn » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:30 pm

Tommarrow Hip 459 thats what Im watching. Book 2

Toccet02
Leading Sire

Postby Toccet02 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:34 am

Daisy Jal Dastur wrote:Quick question - how much time before a horse sells that he/she can be declared 'out' of the sale?

Example - after watching the bloodbath yesterday, I called a consignor friend of mine about a filly he was selling this afternoon - said everything was fine with her and they're looking at around $200K. My trainer called this morning sayign that he saw her and really liked her - he said that they were now looking for $170K-$180K. So, finally, I'm watching the auction online, waiting for her... only to find her declared 'out'!!! :evil:

I don't know, but they just announced hip 616 as a late out...they are currently on hip 552!
All shouting does is make you lose your voice.
----Arrested Development

kybred
Weanling

Postby kybred » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:44 am

I believe it's too late for 459. They are in the late 500's