Last day Keeneland

Talk about upcoming sales or auction results.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

BlazingColours
Allowance Winner

Last day Keeneland

Postby BlazingColours » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:57 am

Been watching the sale on and off for a few days and there are some decent looking horses not even gettting a 1,000 bit. I am really feeling for the sellers.

I wonder what the owners will do with the horses that did not get a bid? Especially if they *had* to sell.

Tough, tough times!
Living life for the journey, not the destination.
Join us on FACEBOOK

LB
Eclipse Champion

Postby LB » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:04 am

I've been wondering, too, where all those yearlings will end up. Some breeders will go ahead and race but there are others who produced foals without any other plan than to sell. There's certainly going to be a lot of belt tightening going on.

And I wonder if the KeeSep sale in 2011 will fit into 4 or 5 books instead of 7.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:09 am

Well I, for one, sincerely hope Keeneland breaks the Sept sale in half and goes back to a midsummer yearling sale, just the way it was before MRLS hit the crop. I think it is just too many horses and way too long.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

LB
Eclipse Champion

Postby LB » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:38 am

madelyn wrote:Well I, for one, sincerely hope Keeneland breaks the Sept sale in half and goes back to a midsummer yearling sale, just the way it was before MRLS hit the crop. I think it is just too many horses and way too long.

Keeneland stopped holding their July sale because sellers/consignors weren't supporting it the way Kee wanted them to. And now, with Fasig Tipton improving and supporting their mid-summer sales--July/Lex and Sar/Aug--Keeneland has pretty much ceded those dates to the competition.

I'd be shocked if in these times of dwindling production, Keeneland decided to re-enter that fray.

Hold Your Peace
Allowance Winner

Postby Hold Your Peace » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:23 pm

Forestry colt out of multiple G.1 winner Manistique sold for $1,500 on the last day of the last book. Ouch!

LB
Eclipse Champion

Postby LB » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:45 pm

Hold Your Peace wrote:Forestry colt out of multiple G.1 winner Manistique sold for $1,500 on the last day of the last book. Ouch!

This sale's buyers are all about getting a racehorse. And while Manistique was a multi-G1 winner winner herself, so far she's been somewhat lacking as a producer. She has 4 foals of racing age--2 Storm Cats, an Elusive Quality, and a Forestry--2 to race, no winners. Her best runner, a Storm Cat colt, earned $11,148. The full sister to this yearling ran twice, was unplaced, and earned no money. So I can see why buyers might be a little skeptical.

zinn21
3rd Year Sire

Postby zinn21 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:42 pm

I caught that Forestry sale on the web. He wasn't a bad looking colt. Guess Manistique has been a very poor producer.

BlazingColours
Allowance Winner

Postby BlazingColours » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:29 pm

And we do not see the xrays when watching the horses in ring via the internet. I am *sure* that plays a part in the sale price too.
Living life for the journey, not the destination.

Join us on FACEBOOK

Tappiano
Grade II Winner

Postby Tappiano » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:25 pm

Manistique is an amazon so not surprising that her offspring would need time to develop.

reedhill
Grade III Winner

Postby reedhill » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:52 pm

NEWS: 9-28-09 RHF presented 3 colored yearlings to sell at auction at Keeneland. (4867) ART IN MOTION, (4888) ALLA AURORA, and (5154) HELIODORIS. All 3 were RNA'd and returned home to TN the same evening. If we had a dollar for all the photographs taken of our colored beauties, we would have come home home with a suitcase full of money! Saturday my son Matt and I walked each yearling up one at a time to let people see what was back at barn 28, that would sell the next morning. The international and stateside interest of owners and buyers was well worth the trip to Lexington. Standing with an employee of Keeneland that had worked there 28 years she told me who was who coming and going. Literally millionares and billionares walked right up and asked where we were from and who the sire and dam was. "The cat got many of their tongues." We shook several hands and were told best of luck in the sale. To say the least we had "Celebrity Status" that day. Commnets of, "Gorgeous color, how did you get that?" to "They are very well conformed and have such striaight legs and good bone." Many business cards were handed out, the yearlings were out being photographed all day.

We are hoping that the beautiful and young brunette female photographer will email her best to us, as I told her looking at just a few shots she had taken,she has an eye and talent just as good as Barbara Livingston! Matt's photo walking Art In Motion appeard on the top 1/2 of the front page of the Lexington Harold Tuesday morning. Matt has been assisting delivering foals at RHF and learning all aspects of a breeding farm. He has gone from handling mares and foals in warmblood inspections since the age of ten years old. He is now 6ft. and 15 years old and assisting live covering mares. I recieved top compliments on how well trained and reserved he was handling 3 yearlings feeling high on life coming out on such cool and windy days at the sale. He glowed with pride representing our finest and I choked back tears of a very proud mother! It was a day we had together that we will never forget. Callan Strous; Oak Tree Division Manager of Lane's End and Vice President on the board of Directors of the KEMI Program (Kentucky Equine Management Internship) mentioned Matt may benefit further from the program if the TB industry is in his future.

A soft economy, intimidating beautiful yearlings, left buyers afraid to spend enough money to offer the track training these 3 needed to win. One day that will change and the walls that devide the racing world and colored TB's will come down, and the owner that wins with that colt or filly will have a lot to speak about! We currently have a sale pending on Heliodoris. All is well at RHF!

Fireslam
Allowance Winner

Postby Fireslam » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:21 am

Its good that you had such a positive experience with them. I think, however, that if you are wanting to get buyers to race them instead of show them, you'll need to give people a reason to want to invest an additional $20,000 to get them to the races. You'll probably have to race them yourself if you want to reach that market eventually.

clh
Grade I Winner

Postby clh » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:38 am

Sorry it didn't work out reedhill but it is great that you have your positive attitude. That's what we need at this time. I too have three yearling colts, and as my daughter in law and I say to each other all the time "it's fine, everythings fine" :lol:

Perhaps some of those folks will be calling you later.
"We are the people our parents warned us about" - Jimmy Buffett

"My occupational hazard is that my occupation is just not around" - Jimmy Buffett

reedhill
Grade III Winner

Postby reedhill » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:50 am

Fireslam you are correct, this sure would help. In a perfect world with plenty of cash flow, there are 3 of the 08's that we would put in training ourselves, but we too have felt the crunch of the economy, so are still hoping someone takes a racing interest in them, we feel they will.

Rachel Alexandra
2yo Maiden

Postby Rachel Alexandra » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:52 am

reedhill wrote:NEWS: 9-28-09 RHF presented 3 colored yearlings to sell at auction at Keeneland. (4867) ART IN MOTION, (4888) ALLA AURORA, and (5154) HELIODORIS. All 3 were RNA'd and returned home to TN the same evening. If we had a dollar for all the photographs taken of our colored beauties, we would have come home home with a suitcase full of money! Saturday my son Matt and I walked each yearling up one at a time to let people see what was back at barn 28, that would sell the next morning. The international and stateside interest of owners and buyers was well worth the trip to Lexington. Standing with an employee of Keeneland that had worked there 28 years she told me who was who coming and going. Literally millionares and billionares walked right up and asked where we were from and who the sire and dam was. "The cat got many of their tongues." We shook several hands and were told best of luck in the sale. To say the least we had "Celebrity Status" that day. Commnets of, "Gorgeous color, how did you get that?" to "They are very well conformed and have such striaight legs and good bone." Many business cards were handed out, the yearlings were out being photographed all day.

We are hoping that the beautiful and young brunette female photographer will email her best to us, as I told her looking at just a few shots she had taken,she has an eye and talent just as good as Barbara Livingston! Matt's photo walking Art In Motion appeard on the top 1/2 of the front page of the Lexington Harold Tuesday morning. Matt has been assisting delivering foals at RHF and learning all aspects of a breeding farm. He has gone from handling mares and foals in warmblood inspections since the age of ten years old. He is now 6ft. and 15 years old and assisting live covering mares. I recieved top compliments on how well trained and reserved he was handling 3 yearlings feeling high on life coming out on such cool and windy days at the sale. He glowed with pride representing our finest and I choked back tears of a very proud mother! It was a day we had together that we will never forget. Callan Strous; Oak Tree Division Manager of Lane's End and Vice President on the board of Directors of the KEMI Program (Kentucky Equine Management Internship) mentioned Matt may benefit further from the program if the TB industry is in his future.

A soft economy, intimidating beautiful yearlings, left buyers afraid to spend enough money to offer the track training these 3 needed to win. One day that will change and the walls that devide the racing world and colored TB's will come down, and the owner that wins with that colt or filly will have a lot to speak about! We currently have a sale pending on Heliodoris. All is well at RHF!

Wow, how extremely different view you posted than the one you actually acted out there at Keeneland.
Word got around quickly at how rude you were to Keeneland employees (after you RNA your horses) and how you stated you would "never come back to this F**king place". Perhaps next time you should watch what you say when there are other people standing around. Keeneland does not need Indian Charlie (not the critter) to get news spread around.
You RNAed ($11,500, $5,500 and $3,700) your three yearlings that got better prices than some very well bred horses (Smarty Jones x stakes winning mare sold for $2,500) and you expected people to give you more for your colored horses that couldn't out run a fat man??? Lady, you should have took the money and ran.

reedhill
Grade III Winner

Postby reedhill » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:07 am

Wow, how extremely different view you posted than the one you actually acted out there at Keeneland. Word got around quickly at how rude you were to Keeneland employees (after you RNA your horses) and how you stated you would "never come back to this F**king place". Perhaps next time you should watch what you say when there are other people standing around. Keeneland does not need Indian Charlie (not the critter) to get news spread around. You RNAed ($11,500, $5,500 and $3,700) your three yearlings that got better prices than some very well bred horses (Smarty Jones x stakes winning mare sold for $2,500) and you expected people to give you more for your colored horses that couldn't out run a fat man??? Lady, you should have took the money and ran.

Your damn right. It was a cluster of a mess trying to get out of Keeneland. The loading area was full, and lines backed up, people sitting around chatting instead of moving up and getting out of the way. To top things off the office was closing and I had to simutaniously load and get up to the office to get my release papers. Yes I have a mouth, but as everyone else we were tierd. Who has ever heard of closing a sales office while people are trying to load up and leave. Trust me, whoever you are, we were not the only ones disgusted at the mess, others were cussing just the same. At least I didn't just leave my yearlings standing in stalls for someone to find and take away!!!!!!! Callan Strous met us at the sales office to help his client try and purchase our Art In Motion colt and I told him the office was closing, that we barely got our leave papers. When we went in to get the transfer and payment done, the 2 70 year old men looked at us from behind the counter and said, sorry out of luck, "credit is gone" No wonder the TB industry is in trouble. Callan had some choice things to say also and he had been doing this for 35 years. So whoever you are who cares if I lost my temper, who the hell doesn't?!

As far as mine outrunning a fat man, you must be GOD then, the all time know it all, get a life! You don't know if mine can run or not. Don't compare mine to anything. Maybe you are just sick about whats in your pasture?? I'm not.