shipping from keeneland nov sale

Talk about upcoming sales or auction results.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

walaa
Starters Handicap

shipping from keeneland nov sale

Postby walaa » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:00 am

As soon as the Nov. Keeneland catalog comes, I will know exactly what days I will be there, although I know it will be at the end of the sale :) I am looking to find a shipper, or anyone who might have horses coming south that if a slot is available, I may be able to share trailer. I also just may have to rent a truck-trailer myself, but thought I would start putting feelers out now for trailer share. I have posted on the shipping websites also, so hopefully can find a for sure thing :) I live just a few miles off I-65 an hour straight south of nashville TN. I am only buying 1-3 horses, AT MOST. More likely 2 weanlings, it all depends on prices, again, just trying to get started arranging shipping since I dont have a trailer, thanks Katrina. Also for those that think it is rude to write as I do, with no indentation, paragraphs, etc, my computer ABSOLUTELY does not work those tools on this website, in way shape or form, if I try it does crazy things to my page, you cant even read it, so please no bashing for the way I write, (as it has happened before on here) My computer is old, and just doesnt work those applications correctly anymore, thanks again, Katrina

Sock Monkey
Allowance Winner

Postby Sock Monkey » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:46 am

Try Rocking Horse. Nice people, good rigs and they will be headed south on 65. 800-277-0163

walaa
Starters Handicap

shipping

Postby walaa » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:52 am

Thanks :D Ill call and see. I have gotten some quotes, but they all want booking and confirmation right away so far, and until the catalaog comes out and I have a few days to look and see for sure what couple days I will go to bid I cant really book anything. Esp. if I want to bid on 2 different days, that will be the kicker, guess Ill just have to pick all my hopefuls on 1 day :D

Sock Monkey
Allowance Winner

Re: shipping

Postby Sock Monkey » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:03 am

walaa wrote:Thanks :D Ill call and see. I have gotten some quotes, but they all want booking and confirmation right away so far, and until the catalaog comes out and I have a few days to look and see for sure what couple days I will go to bid I cant really book anything. Esp. if I want to bid on 2 different days, that will be the kicker, guess Ill just have to pick all my hopefuls on 1 day :D

Who are you talking to? Stick with Rocking Horse, Sallee, Brookledge, IRT, etc. They will be at the sales, are familiar with the process, and will be wanting to slot you in a stall on a load already going south, instead of trying to build a trip around you.

walaa
Starters Handicap

shipping

Postby walaa » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:17 am

Unfortunately, I think some of those bigger rides are about who you are. I even tried to rent a private trailer from Brookledge for shipping my horses from VA to TN, and they were toally uninterested. I have tried using them on other occasions as well, and the answer is always, we dont have room. Tried to have my yearling shipped from FT after the sale in MD, and they werent interested then either. However, I did see, on the dressage site of a very wealthy rider I used to work for, a picture with a brookledge van unloading TWO, thats right, 2, of her new purchases from holland :shock: So, perhaps Im paranoid, but I wont be calling brookledge again, just tried too many times to work with them, because they do have a great reputation, but they never want to haul anything I have called about before :( I called Rocking Horse, she was very nice, said just to keep in touch closer to the sale. Im just afraid to rely on trailers that are "always there" on the sale grounds, then not being able to get my purchases on the ride home. I think I will probably end up renting a truck-trailer, jeez, its over a month away, and Im already worried about my babies getting here :D

merse
Allowance Winner

Postby merse » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:30 am

I've found the companies at the sale very accomodating. In lieu of that, have you thought about boarding them temporarily at a Kentucky farm until the end of the sale when you can get all in one load?

walaa
Starters Handicap

shipping

Postby walaa » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:40 am

Yes, I have, esp. if I want to try and bid on different days. But until the catalog comes out, I cant really say what days for sure, so I havent contacted anyone yet. Im in the price range of "last days of sale" :D so hopefully I can blow my small savings all in one day, and not have to worry about boarding. Also since Im in TN, I really hope to only have to stay 1 night in KY rather than driving up 2-3 times during the sale. every night in hotel is less for weanlings :!: You never know, if the weanies I want go for over my budget, I might be looking at a mare or 2 :shock: Im getting so excited about the sale, I cant wait!! So I have to try and make all my picks to bid on for 2 days in a row, and hope I get them, and then get them home safely :)

Sock Monkey
Allowance Winner

Re: shipping

Postby Sock Monkey » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:25 am

walaa wrote:Unfortunately, I think some of those bigger rides are about who you are. I even tried to rent a private trailer from Brookledge for shipping my horses from VA to TN, and they were toally uninterested.

Brookledge is usually pretty awesome - it's just that they have their routes and are busy enough they don't need to deviate from them unless they have a whole vanload going.

Check with Mario at Santa Fe to see if he'll be at the sale. If he is, he'll be headed south. 352-390-7788 And, try Goetz - if they are there they'll be going right by your place too.

Remember if you rent a truck and trailer that these weanlings have probably never seen a step up trailer and can be hell on wheels to load in any kind of van. There are people around that you can hire to help you load, but you still might be in for a headache.

walaa
Starters Handicap

shipping

Postby walaa » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:38 am

Thanks again :D Ill call them as well, after talking to your other suggestion, I think I will be better off as you and she suggested, and just calling and checking to see whos around and catching rides. She said they would be there anyways, and so will others, so thats better than these people Im trying to book with now, they all want to know dates right now, self loading, which I usually prefer, but as you said, maybe not with these weanies, and most want at least half the dough now, which is way too far ahead for me, when they havent shipped for me before :shock: Are you going to be at the sale?

walaa
Starters Handicap

shipping

Postby walaa » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:01 am

Sock Monkey , sorry another question for your experience :) so far I cant find a insurer in Tn for these babies, as someone on another forum was talking about fall of hammer insurance. USAA covers animals of no type, so Im out of luck there :( I wont be spending more than 5000 at this sale, so I dont even know if the premium is worth insuring them to begin with. Just talking about "At Sale To Getting home Time", can worry about other insurance later. Will the big shippers have insurance on whats in their van, whether you personally have insured your horse or not?? If my baby was in the afore mentioned van fire, would their insurance cover it, or Im out of luck if I dont insure immediately? I know the small shippers I have used have it, so I would presume a big company does. Anyways, just if you have the time, Im not so worried about that, just curious, thanks Katrina

Sock Monkey
Allowance Winner

Postby Sock Monkey » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:43 am

Yes, your commercial carriers will have insurance. I think the standard is $2k/horse, but you can check with them.

Insurance premiums are based on a percentage of the horse's value (what you pay for it). Realize that you can only get mortality insurance on a horse that is intended for racing. No loss of use or major medical.

You need to go with an equine insurer - ideally one that specializes in TBs and not riding horses. Try Yearsley. 800.391.1993

Laurierace
Grade II Winner

Postby Laurierace » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:02 pm

Sock Monkey wrote:Yes, your commercial carriers will have insurance. I think the standard is $2k/horse, but you can check with them.

Insurance premiums are based on a percentage of the horse's value (what you pay for it). Realize that you can only get mortality insurance on a horse that is intended for racing. No loss of use or major medical.

You need to go with an equine insurer - ideally one that specializes in TBs and not riding horses. Try Yearsley. 800.391.1993

That is not true on babies. I don't ever do loss of use but do have major medical up until time for them to go to be broke to ride.

reedhill
Grade III Winner

Postby reedhill » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:14 pm

I'm going at the end also, but might have a full 4 horse slant 7'6 x 7'6 going back, won't know until then. Not a real good trailer for babies :? If I hear of anyone that has a closed stock trailer I'll let you know they are great for babies! You must be VERY close to me in Eagleville?

LC
Maiden Special Weight

Postby LC » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:28 am

We just used Mario @ Santa Fe & he is AWESOME. I Wouldn't use anyone else.

walaa
Starters Handicap

shipping

Postby walaa » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:36 am

thanks for all the suggestions :) Reedhill, Im actually in Culleoka, dont even know if its on a map :? But Im 10 minutes south of Columbia, Ill look up eagleville, I think you must be within an hour from me, I need to come gawk at your beautiful colored horses :D I have a Saratoga Six mare that doesnt have color, but thought it would be neat to see if she would have colored baby, since he is known for throwing some color, hee hee, but I dont need any more horses besides what I get at this sale. Ill Pm you since I dont want to go astray on my own thread, just curious if you board, in case I come back with too many horses for my small property, be nice to have the extra one or 2 close to me, dont want to leave any at farms out of state :)