Keeneland November

Talk about upcoming sales or auction results.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

Dave C
Restricted Stakes Winner

Re: my first

Postby Dave C » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:43 am

tammysinnett wrote:I want to attend my first sale. How do I get a book?? And who will be there that may help a poor girl find a steal?? I am not sure yet if I will bring one home but I am excited to say I would like to try ...I want to learn learn learn so I need to get busy any suggestions?? I am going for a broodmare...I think unless someone has a suggestion on a good project that I may get a return on?? so then I can reinvest for next year?? am I dreamin?? I have always wanted to go...I promised myself this year I would....so I am going to try.

I would suggest that unless you have money that you want to spend having fun, that you should do alot more homework before you take something home. Businesses fail in every industry because people jump in without doing their homework or understanding how things work before they dump a bunch of money into the industry. One of the best ways to learn is to go to the sale and see what is selling well and what isn't, seeing how the sale works. Yes, I would say you are dreaming, but dreams are what led all of us to this sport so that is not a criticism, just some advice to allow you to chase your dream in a way that might not leave you disappointed.

tammysinnett
Starters Handicap

Postby tammysinnett » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:13 am

Iwish I was about 10 years younger for I have so much to learn... I love this board you are all so helpful...and I am a slow learner ask Madelyn... :wink: but I have loved the ups and downs of it all...I guess I am like the energizer bunny just keep comin back for more...hope you all know that I appreciate your advice, I am listening...sometimes it just takes awhile to get through my thick skull...your patience are needed and thankyou for everything you have taught me, everything I am yet to learn...I do plan on going to the sale I plan to absorb everything...may not make a purchase due to my lack of knowledge but I am going to be prepared just in case I take the plunge....wish me luck. By the way all your advice...did get my stallion a baby on the boards...that was fun!!

LB
Eclipse Champion

Postby LB » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:30 am

tammysinnett wrote:Iwish I was about 10 years younger for I have so much to learn... I love this board you are all so helpful...and I am a slow learner ask Madelyn... :wink: but I have loved the ups and downs of it all...I guess I am like the energizer bunny just keep comin back for more...hope you all know that I appreciate your advice, I am listening...sometimes it just takes awhile to get through my thick skull...your patience are needed and thankyou for everything you have taught me, everything I am yet to learn...I do plan on going to the sale I plan to absorb everything...may not make a purchase due to my lack of knowledge but I am going to be prepared just in case I take the plunge....wish me luck. By the way all your advice...did get my stallion a baby on the boards...that was fun!!

If you do decide to take the plunge, you're going to need to establish credit with Keeneland ahead of time in order to buy. There are Buyer Registration forms in the front of the catalogues that need to be filled out and turned in--most likely they are also available on the Keeneland website though I don't know that for sure.

Also, look into securing "fall of hammer" insurance which will cover you from the moment of purchase. You don't pay for it until you use it (buy something) so it's nice to have around just in case.
Last edited by LB on Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

going4stamina
Allowance Winner

Postby going4stamina » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:46 am

If wishes were horses...

I'd like to try Jardin--I enjoyed seeing her as a 2 year old--I have a mind to try her with Include, going back to more Bebop II. And still no ND or Mr. P influence 8) .

While we are at the wishing well, throw in Tapeta Farm, lol.

walaa
Starters Handicap

sales

Postby walaa » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:17 pm

Hello :) Just to add my 2 cents worth, I will also be a first time sale buyer, though not a first time horse buyer :D I talked to our "people" and for what we are in range of buying, they more or less said, (about fall of hammer insurance) dont bother. The van company should have some insurance, per horse, that wouldnt be too much less than what I intend to spend per horse, as I am only planning to spend 5k or less. Would like to hear others opinions. We set up an LLC etc, to protect all our purchases seperately from everything else, property, other horses we have, any lawsuits for any reasons, debts etc, so those weanlings cant be used against us (or you) by anyone trying to get something, not that we are worried about it, but thats what attorney suggested, since we are trying to make a profit next year :D Also, Keeneland told us not to even try to establish credit until much closer to the sale, said dont worry about it until a week or less before we are coming, interested about opinions there too. They also said we could do it right there at the sale easily, they just call and check account for how much you want to spend, they dont actually check credit, they check bank account, So I think we will wait until a couple days before we go to get that set up. I was also actually transfered to the barn to ask about care of my purchases, and was told, unlike some things I have heard, that the horses WILL be given enough hay h2o, etc to make it until am the next day, that they will not leave your baby in a stall with nothing, and that sellers were very happy to work with you on your new baby :D All experiences and opinions welcome!

newyorkmary
Yearling

Postby newyorkmary » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:35 am

Walaa - I agree with your approach re insurance. We have always self-insured. Knock on wood, nothing has happened yet. But I think if you can afford to self insure, it makes sense over the long term. Of course, when I say self insure, I am only talking about the horses, we do have liability insurance, health insurance, etc. Good luck at Keeneland.

Marsalon
Yearling

Postby Marsalon » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:28 pm

Any guesses as to what David Copperfield will bring?

Hold Your Peace
Allowance Winner

Postby Hold Your Peace » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:02 pm

Marsalon wrote:Any guesses as to what David Copperfield will bring?

He should bring nothing.

12 year-old stallion, 75 foals of racing age, only 18 lifetime winners, no stakes winners, .46 AEI.

But there's some goofy people out there and somebody may buy him.

Rachel Alexandra
2yo Maiden

Postby Rachel Alexandra » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:43 pm

tammysinnett wrote:I want to attend my first sale. How do I get a book?? And who will be there that may help a poor girl find a steal?? I am not sure yet if I will bring one home but I am excited to say I would like to try ...I want to learn learn learn so I need to get busy any suggestions?? I am going for a broodmare...I think unless someone has a suggestion on a good project that I may get a return on?? so then I can reinvest for next year?? am I dreamin?? I have always wanted to go...I promised myself this year I would....so I am going to try.

Stay away from the broodmares. They will get you in the hole faster than you can dig one yourself.
If you are wanting to buy something to re-sell go for the weanlings.

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:52 pm

Hi Tammy

Could I gently note something? The tone of your post sounds a little naive (not to say you are) but if that's the case then there maybe someone unscrupulous who may try to take advantage of the fact that this is your 'first sale', and that you are 'excited' which might denote a vulnerability to sound reasoning (I bought one once because I was 'excited'!), and there may be a few guys out there willing to take advantage of a 'poor girl'. So I think you're in a good place because you aren't coming across as a know-it-all, but the make sure you know exactly what you want to do, have a budget to do it (the whole thing), get trustworthy associates well upstream of the sale, and dot the i's and cross the t's. Believe me, I don't want to discourage you - just make sure that you are wise not only about the horses but about the people in the transaction.

Wishing you well as you dive into the auction pit!

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

Shammy Davis
Chef de Race: Classic

Postby Shammy Davis » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:27 pm

Hey Tammy, Joltman's got a point. If this is your first time you need to be organized and not get ahead of yourself. Even if you just show up, you'll need to establish credit or method of payment with Keenland. Be sure you understand the terms, etc.

I recommend that you get a copy of the AUTHORITATIVE GUIDE TO AUCTIONS published by Blood-Horse. It's a quick and helpful read. I don't think it is out of print but it is an excellent source of information for those who have not attended an auction. The ISBN: 1-58150-109-1

Try Googling Blood-Horse Publications and see what you come up with. You still have a little time to come up with a copy. It's $20 or so with S/H and it is a good investment. It'll go a long way to keep you out trouble or embarassment.

The Keenland/Overbrook Dispersal looks like they are going to have a nice sale too. I think that immediately follows the mixed sale.

Best of luck.

walaa
Starters Handicap

sales

Postby walaa » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:19 pm

Also if you want that book, be sure to look up on ebay, and other sites, I got that same book for 7 bucks brand new on line, plus pinhooking for profit etc, they were all less than 7 bucks brand new, just look up on all sites before buying :D if you have been in the business at all, the horse info probably isnt that new to you, but some of the business reading is good :)

walaa
Starters Handicap

sales

Postby walaa » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:56 pm

Outs, outs, outs, everywhere :( Just hope there are some left to bid on when I get there. If not, I guess I will just feed lots of carrots to the old folks at Old Friends, and come back in Jan :D

sparta
2yo Maiden

Postby sparta » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:12 pm

I remember my first sale that I attended with my dad. I very very excited by the famous names on catalog page and saw exactly what I wanted to see. "But, Dad, her third dam is Miss Grillo!"

The fact that I was 12 and didn't have any money hindered me a bit as well.

Susan09
Weanling

Azeri,Ginger Punch, & G1W Broodmares

Postby Susan09 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:35 pm

Anyone want to take a guess on how much Azeri, Ginger Punch and other multiple G1 winning mares whose foals have not yet raced will bring or who possible purchasers might be? Do you think Adena Springs' mares will meet their reserves?