CTHS Winter Mixed Sale

Talk about upcoming sales or auction results.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

AscotStud
Grade III Winner

Postby AscotStud » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:16 am

There are horses by all kinds of stallions that just flat out can run. My roomate down here at Laurel just gave away a $165,000 Thunder Gulch because it flat out can't run. I feel bad for owners of these horses that agents go out and overspend on. When you look at the pedigree and can't understand why it was bought for so much and then it runs to its pedigree and not price, it just makes you wonder.
too weird to live...too rare to die
www.ascotstudfarm.com

Sysonby
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Sysonby » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:30 am

AscotStud wrote:There are horses by all kinds of stallions that just flat out can run. My roomate down here at Laurel just gave away a $165,000 Thunder Gulch because it flat out can't run. I feel bad for owners of these horses that agents go out and overspend on. When you look at the pedigree and can't understand why it was bought for so much and then it runs to its pedigree and not price, it just makes you wonder.

Maybe there was hanky panky but the horse wasn't bought in a vacuum. Was he fabulous looking with a great walk? The Thunder Gulch part of the pedigree may have held the price down to $165,000. A colt looking like him by a hotter stallion would have brought $750,000. There is always a tradeoff between the physicals and pedigree when you are trying to compete with the big boys for the best horses in a sale. There are also 2 different philosophies about which is the more important when you can't afford both and adherents can point to success stories either way. Of course there are plenty of horses that look great and can't run but neither do horses necessarily run to their pedigrees.