CTHS Winter Mixed Sale

Talk about upcoming sales or auction results.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

Mood Swings
Grade II Winner

Postby Mood Swings » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:33 pm

My friend only recieved a meager $50 after his consigner took off all of the deductions (his yearling brought $1400) :shock: K~2 I just deposited one of my cheques a little over a week ago. I had heard if the purchaser has not paid you within two months of the sale date that you will be paid interest, so at least your money will be making you money :oops: ps - any word on the filly? thx
"People come and go but horses leave hoofprints on your heart"

K~2
Starters Handicap

Postby K~2 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:06 pm

Mood Swings wrote:I had heard if the purchaser has not paid you within two months of the sale date that you will be paid interest, so at least your money will be making you money :oops: ps - any word on the filly? thx

LOL... Wouldn't that be nice. :lol::lol::lol:

Still working on the filly :wink: haven't forgotten. :D
Legal Jousting (Indian Ridge X In Anticipation - Sadler's Wells) standing at Kingsgate Stud

Fair Play
Allowance Winner

Postby Fair Play » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:13 pm

Mood Swings wrote:My friend only recieved a meager $50 after his consigner took off all of the deductions (his yearling brought $1400) :shock: K~2 I just deposited one of my cheques a little over a week ago. I had heard if the purchaser has not paid you within two months of the sale date that you will be paid interest, so at least your money will be making you money :oops: ps - any word on the filly? thx

That will be more than lots get in this sale. With the upset lowered to $750 and the entry and minimum commission still the same.... Isn't it nice that everyone gets paid except the owner? :(

Maureen
Allowance Winner

Postby Maureen » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:13 am

Mood Swings wrote:My friend only recieved a meager $50 after his consigner took off all of the deductions (his yearling brought $1400) :shock: K~2 I just deposited one of my cheques a little over a week ago. I had heard if the purchaser has not paid you within two months of the sale date that you will be paid interest, so at least your money will be making you money :oops: ps - any word on the filly? thx

We ended up with a little over $200, on a $1500 sale, so I guess we should be thankful? :shock:

AscotStud
Grade III Winner

Postby AscotStud » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:59 am

That will be more than lots get in this sale. With the upset lowered to $750 and the entry and minimum commission still the same.... Isn't it nice that everyone gets paid except the owner?

It's amazing they can justify charging a commission for this sale when the average (not including unlisted buy backs) is probably 1/4 of what the horse would have to bring to make the min commish. They should set the min commission at the average from the year before...maybe then they would do more than slap a few posters up at Woodbine.
too weird to live...too rare to die
www.ascotstudfarm.com

Fair Play
Allowance Winner

Postby Fair Play » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:14 pm

AscotStud wrote:
That will be more than lots get in this sale. With the upset lowered to $750 and the entry and minimum commission still the same.... Isn't it nice that everyone gets paid except the owner?

It's amazing they can justify charging a commission for this sale when the average (not including unlisted buy backs) is probably 1/4 of what the horse would have to bring to make the min commish. They should set the min commission at the average from the year before...maybe then they would do more than slap a few posters up at Woodbine.

Good idea. We haven't put a horse through this sale (or any other) in years, but I was disgusted at paying an entry fee, signage fee, day rate, min. commission to BOTH the sales company and the agent.... Anyone wonder why so many TBs go through Carson's, Claremont, and OLEX? You may have a better shot at getting a better home or a breeding home at the Woodbine one, but explain to a new owner with a slow horse or reducing mares why he got nothing..... It is even worse for those with no bid. :(

Maureen
Allowance Winner

Postby Maureen » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:40 pm

I know someone that had to pay their agent $10.00 one year after all the deductions! You'd think they might forgive that small of an amount!

Fair Play
Allowance Winner

Postby Fair Play » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:17 pm

Maureen wrote:I know someone that had to pay their agent $10.00 one year after all the deductions! You'd think they might forgive that small of an amount!

We sent a bunch to the Mid Atlantic one year. Some cost $300 - $700 to sell as we used an agent. :roll: :( No wonder you see so many TBs advertised for $500.

Maureen
Allowance Winner

Postby Maureen » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:24 pm

Someone needs to rethink the mixed sale. Why not a sale somewhere, similar to the sales that Stu Geils (sp) used to do. Many a TB went through there-bought a couple myself. Offer a fixed commission, nothing fancy, no hidden costs. Might just work!

westover
Allowance Winner

Postby westover » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:08 am

I recieved my catalogues last week, Monday actually :). Perhaps it's a Canada Post screw up & nothing to do with the CTHS? Canada Post drives me nuts on a regular basis. The CTHS i feel are above reproach, i've had nothing but good dealings with them. By the time the sales are put on and everyone paid, i can say without a doubt there is no way they are making money on the sales.

Yes the commission's suck, & the fee's but its a fact of "sale life". I know membership in the CTHS has improved greatly over the years. I don't think it would be an easy position to be in as President (Glenn Sikura) or General Manager (Julie Coulter). The time committments alone would be staggering. I'm sure the CTHS isn't paying the G.M. a top executive salary so it really would have to be a labour of love.

Breed better horses to increase your salability, therefore covering your costs better.. Thats the only way i see to make adjustments to covering your costs. I would hazard a strong guess the CTHS is only breaking even on its return on the sale, it is more than anything, a service they have to provide for their members (re: the sales). I for one enjoy the Ontario Sale & enjoy selling & breeding for here. If you don't like it you can always go south of the border!! Then have a look at your expense bill. It is what it is, there is only one answer " breed better".

Very nice to see some new stallions come into the mix with Milwaukee Brew, Alphabet Soup etc.. and really love seeing Swain, Aljabr & Tejano Run, who i think is a very undervalued stallion. If we can increase our standard of mares we can only keep moving up the ladder. It doesn't mean we can't or shouldn't go to the U.S. to breed, i believe we can only improve our own stock by doing so. If you think competition was tough before, there are going to be more & more good Amercian Race barns running at Woodbine, and more people in the U.S. taking advantage of our fantastic mare residency program & lucrative breeders incentives. So get tied on, as the only way any of us will break even or come out ahead is by "better breeding". Its an industry i absolutely love, & when i look at the number of unwanted Thoroughbreds at the end of the sales & racing season.. i just keep coming back to "breed less, breed better". :shock:
Horse Radish

westover
Allowance Winner

Postby westover » Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:31 pm

Fair Play i reread your post.. and again i have to say no-one forces us to put horses through the sale or breed for commercial selling. The reason so many horses end up at Toad Hall, Olex etc.. is there is too much bad breeding. It needs to be heavily curtailed. Look at the pages of some of the horses in the sales.. there is absolutely no logic in my mind why some of those horses would have been bred in the first place. Its not the fault of the sales company or agent that no money is made on selling bad horses.. it lies with the owner, breeder. If you have crappy stock don't breed it. Agents aren't going to consign horses for free & i don't know about you, but i have no interest in trying to sell my own horses at the sales and being there at 5 a.m. to feed, muck etc.. when i have my own farm to look after. I need someone to sell my horse. This industry is a high risk venture, my own feeling is if you can't afford to lose the money you are investing, you are probably in the wrong business. But don't expect the Sales companies & consignor's to sell your horses out of the goodness of their hearts. :lol: It ain't gonna happen! Horse people i have to say are notoriously bad business people. If you take a good look at those who have had success they have usually been strong business people as well as horse people.
Last edited by westover on Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Horse Radish

AscotStud
Grade III Winner

Postby AscotStud » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:12 pm

Westover, I agree with almost everything you are saying, aside from your comments about the CTHS...I'll be kind and say they are mediocre. The oversights, assumptions and arrogance we have dealt with from them the past 4 or 5 years would be laughable, if it didn't affect our business.
too weird to live...too rare to die

www.ascotstudfarm.com

Mood Swings
Grade II Winner

Postby Mood Swings » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:28 pm

westover - two very well thought and well spoken replies!

Ascot - not trying to stir the pot ... Care to explain your strong dislike of the CTHS? I'm genuinly curious as I have only had positive experiences with them.
"People come and go but horses leave hoofprints on your heart"

westover
Allowance Winner

Postby westover » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:56 pm

I have never experienced any "Arrogance, Oversights or Assumptions" in dealing with the CTHS. I have always played by the rules & gotten along tremendously with them. I can tell you that my neighbours, who have bred some terrific horses over the year's & have been doing it probably longer than most of us have been alive.. also told me when i was new to the business of selling that the CTHS had been fantastic to them over the year's & were an excellent resource.

I can say they have all gone above and beyond to help me both during and outside of the Thoroughbred Sales. :)
Horse Radish

Fair Play
Allowance Winner

Postby Fair Play » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:20 am

westover wrote:Fair Play i reread your post.. and again i have to say no-one forces us to put horses through the sale or breed for commercial selling.

We do not put any through anymore. I am more whining about the difficulty of selling a horse and keeping any of the proceeds and the reason why it is tough to support the sales, rather than any complaints against the CTHS. I am well aware of what it costs to put on an auction.

westover wrote:The reason so many horses end up at Toad Hall, Olex etc.. is there is too much bad breeding. It needs to be heavily curtailed. Look at the pages of some of the horses in the sales.. there is absolutely no logic in my mind why some of those horses would have been bred in the first place.

We all get that. I am not producing horses of that type and have had over 35 years breeding to figure it all out. There have been lots of horses with decent pages get no bid as well. Prices have not gone up in any relation to labor and other costs for some decades: long before this recession. Again, I am not criticizing the CTHS, only explaining why it is tough to use the venue. No one on a TB board needs the preachy lecture. It is a little below your audience. Whew. Am I cranky? ;)