CTHS Winter Mixed Sale

Talk about upcoming sales or auction results.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

westover
Allowance Winner

Postby westover » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:52 am

Well i guess you, & everyone else have it all figured out, i should have known that by reading the posts. :roll: lol
Horse Radish

Fair Play
Allowance Winner

Postby Fair Play » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:44 pm

westover wrote:Well i guess you, & everyone else have it all figured out, i should have known that by reading the posts. :roll: lol

I just mean you don't need to launch into breeding 101 on a TB board. If anyone had it all figured out, this board wouldn't exist. I just think your audience is a little beyond don't "breed crap". I am not usually so b*tchy. It just seemed a little too condescending. :)

If you study results, you might figure the number of yearlings without weak pages who sold for less than the stud fee seems higher than the number who could have had really bad conformation or prep. Some felt the more they spent; the more they lost. Again, not the CTHS's fault, but I don't think you can blame every breeder either. We just breed less and buy more. Let someone else take the hit. :roll:
Last edited by Fair Play on Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

AscotStud
Grade III Winner

Postby AscotStud » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:28 pm

I'm sorry, but Chris told me I'm not allowed to comment any further on the CTHS under Ascot Stud, at least for now. I'll leave it at maybe we should have term limits for some of the people running the show. If you really want to know PM me and I can support what I posted.
too weird to live...too rare to die
www.ascotstudfarm.com

westover
Allowance Winner

Postby westover » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:56 am

Of course you can't blame every breeder, but the fact is if people don't know at this stage in the game what a risky venture it is then they must live with their heads buried in the sand.. & they are in the wrong business. So many things play a roll in success of selling as you know. Its been a rough few years with the markets in general the way they have been. Like anything, i do think the Thoroughbred Sales will come back and level out, i don't think sale prices will be as inflated as they were prior to the economy tanking(particularly U.S.). But, in some ways thats probably a good thing, as it can hopefully make it more feasable for your regular "Joe" to buy into the racing industry as opposed to keeping it at a level where only those who have a lot of disposable cash can get involved. If that happened, there would inevitably be more buyers.

It wasn't condesending, read the posts, I responded to what was written. I am simply stating how i see it & thats what the board is for. Many people still breed crap & thats PART of the reason why we have so many bloody horses, that no one wants. No one disagree's with you that good horses don't get bids sometimes, it happens, so you have to either cut your loses which yes sucks, or you race them yourself, which is bloody expensive. But, as you know, when you breed you have to be prepared to do one of those two options if they don't sell.

As far as the CTHS, & this isn't directed at u FP, i get it your not complaining about them. But, as far as the CTHS is concerned, noone forces people to enter their horses & once you sign the sales contract you have agree'd to their terms. And somehow, i don't think the $107 dollars we pay a year in membership fee's is going to cover the cost of putting on the sales. Although they deal with a lot of terrific people, you couldn't pay me to take the crap they often take from people consigning horses. I've stood in the office waiting for something and listened to people berate them, if you don't like their terms don't enter your horses or sign the sales contracts. I for one, cannot believe the breeder's incentives we have available to us. Noone said it was an easy business, basically its like the stock market if not worse as you are dealing with " live-stock". You know the old saying, if you want to make a million in horses, start out with TWO!!! lol
Horse Radish

AscotStud
Grade III Winner

Postby AscotStud » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:59 pm

Westover, 1 thing I found interesting this year was no mention of the new upset price on the contract. Usually it is sitting there big and bold before you sign. I guess another oversight.

www.ascotstudfarm.com

westover
Allowance Winner

Postby westover » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:58 am

I understand what you are saying, but again from a business stand point, its business. I am not sure what it is you expect from them? And did they hold a gun to your head & force you to sign it? Its their perogative & thats the way it is, so if you don't like it or you can't afford to play the game then don't!!! or sell elsewhere?
Horse Radish

AscotStud
Grade III Winner

Postby AscotStud » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:10 pm

That kind of thinking is why this industry is stuck in the olden times.

www.ascotstudfarm.com

westover
Allowance Winner

Postby westover » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:53 pm

That kind of thinking is "business" .. I understand you would like to save money where you can, but what is it you want from the CTHS exactly.. what is it you feel they should do for you & still be able to keep the orgainzation afloat financially. Like anything it comes down to dollar's and cents.. The feeling i get from you is that you feel they owe you, & if there is something you want to say just spill it and stop beating around the bush.

Explain to me exactly what type of thinking is keeping the industry in "olden times". You seem to forget that even the president of the CTHS sells his own horses on both sides of the border.. he pays the same fee's you & i do & he loses money just like you & i do.. So what exaclty is your point?
Horse Radish

Maureen
Allowance Winner

Postby Maureen » Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:46 pm

Well, anybody buy anything?

Fair Play
Allowance Winner

Postby Fair Play » Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:04 pm

No. Unfortunately, to want to buy something we'd have to be able to sell something at better prices which hasn't been easy the last few years. Like many others, we have kept or wholesaled more horses than ever before. This is what I felt the thread was about: the tough market, not bashing the CTHS. I have never seen auctioneers try so hard to get a bid. If I had entered one, I could not fault them for trying very hard to get one sold. I have never seen a TB auction let a horse stay in the ring so long, or go on for more after the fall of the hammer. :( There sure were lots of bargains. I'd love to have come home with some of those pregnant mares, weanlings, or yearlings.

Jenny
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Jenny » Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:31 pm

I am glad I did not go or I would have bought way too many!
Ascot I have your hip #101 here as a boarder. What a cutie. They could of just drove her straight over here from your house.!! :lol:

westover
Allowance Winner

Postby westover » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:10 pm

Not to beat a dead horse (no pun intended tee hee)
but, Ascot i went through my file on the sale & the CTHS had sent out a Deadlines notice as they always do for each sale & it does say in large letters: "IMPORTANT NOTICES" & it goes on to say that "the upset price was changed for this sale & will be reviewed for all future sales."

There were some interesting horses at the sale, a few mares in foal that i thought would be fun to own.

Looked at the #98 weanling at Gardiner, whom i thought was nice. Will be fun to see what he does down the road.

p.s. you have pretty good taste Mood Swings in your mare picks!!
Horse Radish

Quinn
Suckling

Postby Quinn » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:19 pm

Watched the webcast but was away from my computer when hip #45 went thru ring. Did she sell as pregnant???The final bid of $23000 doesn't seem like enough for a mare infoal to Corinthian
Any rumors on where Kentucky Bear will be standing at stud?
trying to breakeven and have some fun

native diver
Newborn

Postby native diver » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:26 pm

Vera Simpson’s Curraghamore Farm in Waterdown, Ontario for a fee of $2,500

AscotStud
Grade III Winner

Postby AscotStud » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:21 pm

Did she sell as pregnant???The final bid of $23000 doesn't seem like enough for a mare infoal to Corinthian

After 14 days of Keeneland that seems like too much for that mare for me...but I thought there were quite a few that brought too much. I also thought others with non Ontario Sired families went for next to nothing, not to my surprise.

Westover, I have been living in KY for the past 7 months and didn't get the urgent message, not that I open stuff from them anyways. I just opened the contract online. You obviously want to keep talking about my (not Chris') dislike for the CTHS in public even though I PM'ed you, I won't go any further.

www.ascotstudfarm.com