Interesting Observations at Keeneland

Talk about upcoming sales or auction results.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

Crystal
Freshman Sire

Interesting Observations at Keeneland

Postby Crystal » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:58 am

.. not on a serious note...

I can stand outside the walking ring and watch inside the sales ring on my blackberry..

I can be in barn 49 (pratically New circle Rd) and watch inside the sales ring and get results on this damn blackberry..I love technology.

Fashion differs very much from the Saratoga Sale (summer) to the Keeneland November sale (Fall). Fashion is not out of luxury and high dollar, but necessesity. I very much enjoyed watching the woman who just walked across the walking ring in her skirt, knee high angora socks and sneakers..(Haute Couture)!!

Storm Cat over Mr. Prospector is like saying your last name is Smith...

Classy horses just seem to know they are classy. The masses seem to part when you are a G1 producer.

The auctioneers are really reaching in any direction for selling points to get bids. They always do.. more then once today I have heard "she's fun at parties"..
But I have a few of my own that could work..
"This weanling is cutier then your own kids."
" Here is the next mortgage on your house."
"You brought your trailer anyway, why haul home empty?"

The word of the day is RNA :)

el camino
Allowance Winner

Postby el camino » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:29 am

Very Nice! I will be there for Book 3. Hopefully see you there. Sounds like you have settled in nicely down there.

merse
Allowance Winner

Postby merse » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:57 am

"You brought your trailer anyway, why haul home empty?"

Good question for the buyers, however it is a different story with consignors. A friend of mine's wife always tells him when he is leaving for the sales - "be sure to come home with an empty trailer." Now my wife uses that line on me (and hopefully, I'll heed her advice).

Crystal
Freshman Sire

Postby Crystal » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:03 am

Heed her advice if you still want a home to come back too right?

Drop me a line, but I'm pretty much floating around the walking ring after lunch.

winds
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby winds » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:40 am

I'm jealous, I want a Blackberry! Sounds like you're having a good time, it is a good time for buyers that's for sure.

winds

pembroke
Allowance Winner

Postby pembroke » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:25 pm

Funny stuff Crystal...your fashion review brought to mind Mrs. Strawbridge. She came to Presque Isle on Masters night doing her best " Betty Davis in her wanning years" impersonation. I can see her dressed as you described!

Crystal
Freshman Sire

Postby Crystal » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:00 pm

I must also add the gentleman I saw today wearing bright yellow crocks.. Those horrible dollar store shoes!! I mean school bus yellow.

ct2346
Starters Handicap

Postby ct2346 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:03 pm

Did he also have a hawaiian shirt? If so you're likely to see his orange crocs tomorrow and his green ones the following day....or vice versa.

walaa
Starters Handicap

sales

Postby walaa » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:17 pm

Hey , until you have walked all day in them, dont knock'em, they are THE most comfortable shoe to walk in all day, :D :D bar none, including super expensive walking shoes and sneakers. However, being a cold-natured person, I wont be wearing my crocs to be made fun of in :) But heavy shoes with foot warmers in them!

walaa
Starters Handicap

sales

Postby walaa » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:01 pm

Also, curious, if anyone saw these babies. # 569, #800 # 814 Not bad pages, certainly as good if not better than some I saw sell for LOTS, and surely if the stallion is doing badly, or the horse has a problem, wouldnt it be more towards the end of sale? I will be looking at weanlings the last 3 days of sale, and curious why these babies in the 3rd day sold for so little, or does it really mean nothing compared to what folks say it does, as to what day the babies are in? Just want opinions if you saw these babies, why compared to others they sold for so little, etc, thanks Katrina

Crystal
Freshman Sire

Postby Crystal » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:24 am

If you saw a drastic drop in price compared to other weanlings by the same sire chances are the xray/scope/ individual in question wasn't great.

walaa
Starters Handicap

sales

Postby walaa » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:00 am

Yes, that what I always think, just curious, just wondering how far ahead most people do their x-rays etc, I guess they are already cataloging horses, so their isnt anything you can do when the vet turns out badly, if your horse is in a certain book already??

Crystal
Freshman Sire

Postby Crystal » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:30 am

well conformation will never change enough or fast enough for most people to know what their horse will look like in 90-120 days.. If you have a train wreck, most leave them at home.
I have seen the majority of consignors xray and scope 15-30 days out from a sale. But again some are sweating bullets when they have a serious buyer coming to scope and xray at the sales ground.