CTHS Yearling Sale Meeting - Nov 22

Talk about upcoming sales or auction results.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

AscotStud
Grade III Winner

Postby AscotStud » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:00 am

Westover, I wasn't able to send in a suggestion since I never got an email from the CTHS about the meeting in the first place, and you didn't put your post up about sending in suggestions until after the deadline. I have had many discussions with a couple large consignors and we were in agreement about quite a few points that were made. I'm sure they were there and have a lot more influence than I do.
I don't see why pointing out the obvious about the sale is being part of the problem.
Its getting really old listening to you rip me because I don't agree with every single thing your friends say or do up there.
Chris will probably sell a couple at the sale next year. I will not.

Fireslam,
I live in Maryland right now, so driving 8 1/2 hours to go to a meeting I just found out about is not a priority. There were a couple people there that have some of the same ideas I do and a lot more pull, and trust they could get the points accross better. I run a small barn and am there all the time. Missing a race is not an option. I'm not like a lot of lazy trainers that won't go to a race out of town and send someone to saddle the horse sit at home and watch it on tv

If they did a webcast like Madelyn said I would have participated, as I have my computer with me at all times at the barn and track.
too weird to live...too rare to die
www.ascotstudfarm.com

westover
Allowance Winner

Postby westover » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:15 pm

Ah Ascot, when you stop Ripping the sale a new one, I will stop ripping you a new one.. simple as that. If the U.S. is where you live, race etc.. than sell down there, we are happy for you. :)

You are part of the problem, as instead of being proactive & trying to help find a solution for the better of the sale, all you do is slander it. So in my books you definitly aren't part of the solution, or its process, nor do you even attempt to be. So then yes I see you as being part of the problem, as you've put yourself front and centre in the "Slandering the CTHS" department!! & btw how far ahead has that gotten you anyway?

The CTHS sends emails to anyone who filled out their info sheets, when those were mailed out.. I filled mine in & sent it back, as I am sure did many. So If you didn't fill it out and send it in, then you are correct, you wouldn't get an email if they didn't have your email address. But let me guess, you didn't get the info sheet either.

As far as "Lazy Trainers" go, I remember when Mike Keogh use to send Langfuhr to the U.S. to race, he (Mike) never went. The horse ran in the Met Mile and in the Carter Handicap to name a few of his U.S accomplishments, Mike always Sent Robbie Martin, his assistant trainer. He did this as a. He was always a nervous wreck (Mike not the horse) and b. he is a very superstitious person, and felt since the horse did well with out him earlier on, when shipping to the U.S. he wanted to follow the same pattern. The man is the furthest thing from Lazy I've ever known. :roll:
Horse Radish

AscotStud
Grade III Winner

Postby AscotStud » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:10 pm

Westover you should work for Fox News, you sure know how to twist words and facts around to create something out of nothing. I will no longer post about this because I'm not about to get into an argument about nothing.

Thats great that you know Mike Keogh (congrats!!!), but his superstitions have nothing to do with what I commented on. But feel free to name drop some more. I could to if I wanted to but it doesn't really have anything to do with the post so I wont :roll: :lol: :shock: :D :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :oops: :oops: :cry: :? :( :) those things make me seem smarter I think so I followed up my statement with lots of them. YAAAYYYY!!!
Last edited by AscotStud on Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

www.ascotstudfarm.com

AscotStud
Grade III Winner

Postby AscotStud » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:16 pm

Chris posting for once, as a I reply to the mailer and e-mails from the cths I don't think Mike did receive anything they still e-mail me for myself and Mike, I have been trying to get the CTHS to treat Mike and I as 2 separate members as we fill out separate member forms and are listed as 2 members and pay 2 fees, but invoices for me get send to Mike, sometime to both, my Ascot Stud cheques get cashed for his account, I have had a number of phone conversations that still could not solve the simple task of separating us ( and their professional response of "well which one are you anyways" has always stuck with me, I finally started e-mail my request to document my simple requests, and they still are sending sale books only 1 for 2 members to (Mike and Chris Blake / Berkshire Stables), I have certified cheques that they have cashed 2 months ago and are now sending invoices and say they never cashed them my bank says they did. They have swore they sent me jc papers and when I said I didn't receive them they said well they did and I'd have to get a notarized document and replacement for them but oh wait a client of mine said they where sent to her. I have nothing against the people at the CTHS themselves and I truly wish I didn't consistently have these problems, I have never dealt with an organization that has made so many paper work errors.

On the meeting note I am curious regarding some of the positive points, did anyone mention holding the sale without the 4-5 day break between sessions, find another sale that holds an auction like that (problem build new facility or new location) was this discussed?. I understand you are excited about the news of bigger purses for the 2 year old sales races...but that decision was made last year.

www.ascotstudfarm.com

westover
Allowance Winner

Postby westover » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:46 pm

[quote="AscotStud"
On the meeting note I am curious regarding some of the positive points, did anyone mention holding the sale without the 4-5 day break between sessions, find another sale that holds an auction like that (problem build new facility or new location) was this discussed?. I understand you are excited about the news of bigger purses for the 2 year old sales races...but that decision was made last year.[/quote]

In answer to your questions above,

Yes it was discussed "holding the sale without the 4-5 day break between sessions" there will be further meetings to make decisions on this issue.

The moving the sale topic is beating a dead horse (no pun intended), there was a general meeting a few year's ago, that lasted about 5 hour's addressing this very topic, the Sale is not moving, that decision was also made back in the day when we voted on Arkell...

Not sure I would use the word excited about the bigger purses for 2 year old sales stakes, but the subject was RE-ADDRESSED in this meeting.
I am sure if you call the CTHS they would happily get you a copy of the minutes of the meeting.
Horse Radish

westover
Allowance Winner

Postby westover » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:05 pm

"I'm not like a lot of lazy trainers that won't go to a race out of town and send someone to saddle the horse sit at home and watch it on tv"

I guess I miss understood? I took the above as you saying when trainer's that don't go out of town, stay home & watch it on tv, that they are "Lazy Trainers" I dont' know how I could have misunderstood that statement? Your right that was pretty crazy on my part.

As far as name dropping, who said I know Mike Keogh? I read Beverely Smith's column on a regular basis in the Globe & Mail. In reading Ms. Smiths column over the year's you get to know a lot about Mr. Keogh, as Beverly Smith has interviewd him on numerous occassion, since he is a terrific trainer & has obviously had a great deal of success over the year's. I believe Mr. Keogh came to Woodbine (Canada) in the late 70's, you'd have to live a pretty sheltered life to not know who he is, he is also one of the most well liked people on the back stretch. I watched the Met Mile all those year's ago & I watched the Carter Handicap as I often do any good race, as I love racing. Thats about all there is to that.. no name dropping.. Beverly Smiths Column is terrific & full of information, as is Jennifer Morrison's articles & news blog & I read both quite religiously... Both cover a lot of trainers & a lot of good racing.
We are a teeie, tiny breeder & I don't know anyone... I also attend those meetings to educate myself, as I know very little about the industry on a whole..
Horse Radish

Quinn
Suckling

Postby Quinn » Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:10 am

We are small breeders in Western Canada who have historically sent one yearling to the select session each year. Unfortunately we now find that Kentucky is a more viable option. The underlaying reasons are two fold:
1. Lack of buyers at the select sale. I don't think that this has anything to do with the marketing efforts of the CTHS. I believe it is directly related to the exchange rate of Cdn vs US$. I remember the sales pavilion being PACKED when the US$ had a substantial premium of upwards of 30%. When the Cdn dollar is close to par the pinhookers don't perceive the sale as offerring any bargains so they just don't bother coming. Pinhookers are a very integral part of the yearling market and their almost total absence from the Cdn sale has had a very negative impact on prices.
2. No market for a select Cdn bred that is not an Ontario bred. In the past western Canadian breeders perceived the select sale as the best place to showcase their best yearlings. Now these yearlings are in danger of being a "no bid" at this sale. Understandable but unfortunate.

I know that Julie and her staff are incredibly hard working and dedicated . Most of the problems (lack of buyers, low prices) are totally out of their control. Returning the CTHS Canadian bred Select sale to its former glory is going to be very tough.
trying to breakeven and have some fun

westover
Allowance Winner

Postby westover » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:05 am

Sp, your points are very valid. Its tough, I have given a lot of thought to it & just don't know what the answer is, I wish I did. I also agree Julie & her staff are above reproach. I don't envy their position, as its going to be such a tough go making it a strong/viable sale again.
The meeting was good in the sense that everyone was very comfortable discussing everything, it didn't matter the idea it was put forth & discussed. It was nice to see a # of Breeders turn up and truly concerned about what to do, it was great that everyone got along lol as these meetings can get heated. I had never really thought about the $ which is pretty short sighted on my part really as of course that would have a huge impact. I also remember when it was a packed house.. It makes me sad as I really love the venue :( . Good post Sp.
Horse Radish

AscotStud
Grade III Winner

Postby AscotStud » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:38 am

I'm glad they are looking into not having the gap between selling days. That is the biggest issue that needs to be fixed.
I was at the meeting about moving the sale and all I can remeber is people yelling at each other every time a point was trying to be made.

Sorry I misundertood your post but the way it was written it seemed like you were claiming to have been there, and not parapharasing. Trainers with large barns can't be everywhere all the time, thats why they have assistants. It is understandable for them to miss races, but they can afford to because they have competent help. I have run at 15 different tracks in the past year and a half and have been to everyone of them. So I get to see a lot of recieving barns and also a lot of horses that get shipped up with a groom who is running around trying to figure out what to do when something goes wrong. I have also heard many of trainers (when I say I'll see you up there) say "I'm not going there, thats what TVG is for". I don't want to ever have a horse or race compromised because I can't be bothered to go. That is a lazy trainer in my mind.

www.ascotstudfarm.com