Action This Day in F-T Dec. Mixed @ Timonium

Talk about upcoming sales or auction results.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

KBEquine
Grade III Winner

Action This Day in F-T Dec. Mixed @ Timonium

Postby KBEquine » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:46 pm

Just cruised through the sale catalog & was surprised to see him there.

Toccet02
Leading Sire

Postby Toccet02 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:05 am

I'm not. He's been a pretty bad sire.
All shouting does is make you lose your voice.
----Arrested Development

KBEquine
Grade III Winner

Postby KBEquine » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:00 am

There are lots of bad sires who don't go through Timonium . . .

I'm not surprised he is being sold, but I'd have expected something like starquine to be the venue.

Edited to add: Meaning, a public offering, but a "contact seller" for a private sale price. I just think as a courtesy to a Breeder's Cup winner & Eclipse champion whatever his record at stud, I still think you don't run him through a regional sale. I get he is probably in a syndicate that ends & he's no A. P. Indy, but running him through this sale just seems insulting to him.

freshman
Allowance Winner

Postby freshman » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:06 am

It seems like the equivalent of dropping into a cheap claiming race.
"I'll lay me down and bleed a while, and then I'll rise and fight again." Sir Barton

KBEquine
Grade III Winner

Postby KBEquine » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:27 pm

freshman wrote:It seems like the equivalent of dropping into a cheap claiming race.

Yeah. That's what I was trying to say!

Jessi P

Postby Jessi P » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:22 pm

Well, I understand exactly what you mean. Perhaps his connections feel that entering him a small(er) sale could make him a BIG fish in a little pond and insure he is well and properly sold. Thats what I automatically think whenever I see someone/something at X level (lower) when it could conceivably be at Y level (higher).
Jessi P
330 383 1281
[email protected]

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:03 am

Well that's a bit of a shock to me, really. It wasn't so long ago he stood in KY for $10K. I wonder what he will go for? Perhaps it is a partnership dissolving and they need a previously agreed to buyout price cemented by the fall of a hammer?
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

KBEquine
Grade III Winner

Postby KBEquine » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:06 pm

madelyn wrote:Well that's a bit of a shock to me, really. It wasn't so long ago he stood in KY for $10K. I wonder what he will go for? Perhaps it is a partnership dissolving and they need a previously agreed to buyout price cemented by the fall of a hammer?

Yeah, in 2008, standing in KY for $10k & getting more than 100 mares & in 2010, in PA, getting like 13 mares at $3,500. Might be a partnership or syndicate that had an 'offer at public sale' clause after a specific period of time or a specific vote of membership. Even if so, the timing & location are unfortunate.

I think he has value as a "home" stallion for a breeder who has the right mares - or is willing to buy them - to support him. But it would almost have to be an owner/breeder who can get the youngsters to the right trainer himself because it looks like distance/turf - or possibly NSA races - might be the place to spot his kids - and that's tough in the land where dirt sprints are king.

If I had lots of money & a spare stallion stall, I might go to the sale to see what happens. Lacking all of those things, I'll watch from afar & wish him the best.

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:43 am

very interesting

I don't think things have turned around for him this year - and the stud fee has no where to go but down. Still, it makes one wonder what might be going on. His only Northern Dancer instance is way back and he has no Mr. Prospector I could see. I'm wondering what kinds of mares have been bred to him and whether the thinking might have been to see him as a good outcross for mares that are loaded with ND, MP. Perhaps there is a combination or two that might yet work for him. You have to figure that with 2yo champion speed, they probably were breeding for that result and maybe something else would be more successful.

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

BargainBlueblood
Starters Handicap

Postby BargainBlueblood » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:17 pm

He was probably the weakest Eclipse Award winner in recent memory, though. He won the award by default after winning a Breeders' Cup Juvenile that absolutely fell apart, and never did much after that. I can't say it was a shock he didn't excel as a sire.
Michael Slezak
Bargain Blueblood
[email protected]
917.455.0693 (cell)

KBEquine
Grade III Winner

Postby KBEquine » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:01 pm

BargainBlueblood wrote:He was probably the weakest Eclipse Award winner in recent memory, though. He won the award by default after winning a Breeders' Cup Juvenile that absolutely fell apart, and never did much after that. I can't say it was a shock he didn't excel as a sire.

All true . . . and yet I kinda like him and wish him well . . .

Worksoplad
Starters Handicap

Postby Worksoplad » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:57 pm

I have a yearling by him out of a Theatrical mare whose broodmare sire was Afleet (Mr. P). Although I generally breed to race myself, obviously I am bummed about the news.
"Who kills a man kills a reasonable creature, but he who destroys a good book kills reason itself." John Milton.

JCBloodstock
Maiden Special Weight

Postby JCBloodstock » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:31 pm

Well let's see:

Champali earned a million and has sired the earners of 2 million and sell for $17,000 at Keeneland

Midas Eyes earned $600,000 plus and in 2 crops has sired the earners of a 1/4 million sells for $12,000 at Keeneland

It's A Bird sells as a stallion prospect after earning $1,176,985 sells for $1000 at Keeneland

Nite Light sold as a stallion prospect after earning $546,960 and being sired by Thunder Gulch sold for $20,000

Hero's Tribute earned $862,950 - his 3rd dam is Quill - he's had 3 crops with over 500K in progeny earnings sold for $15,000

Crafty Shaw by Crafty Prospector earned $1,046,440 and has 2 crops on the ground that have not earned much no saled for $14,000

Storm Play by Smart Strike and out of a daughter of Storm Cat ( family of Seeking Daylight, Izvestia ) He was a minor SW of $146,295 sold for $2500

A speedball by Medaglia d'Oro that was restricted stakes placed and earned $94,000 sold for $3000

Then we have Da Tara whose basic claims to fame are he is sired by Tiznow and the fact that he could win going a mile and a half in winning the Belmont Stakes - in all honesty he is much like Action This Day yet he sells for $180,000 - the only difference is Action This Day has proven he is not much of a sire from a pretty good bunch of mares. I don't foresee Da Tara being much more but speculation is worth more than what's already been shown.

merse
Allowance Winner

Postby merse » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:39 am

Hero's Tribute earned $862,950 - his 3rd dam is Quill - he's had 3 crops with over 500K in progeny earnings sold for $15,000

Anyone know where Hero's Tribute ended up?

Sylvie Hebert
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Sylvie Hebert » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:15 pm

Classy Prospector for sale asking $5000. Equinenow
The sport and industry survive not only because of the champions that are remembered forever but also because of the losers that are so easy to forget...