Keeneland January

Talk about upcoming sales or auction results.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

IcouldbeU
Maiden Special Weight

Keeneland January

Postby IcouldbeU » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:50 pm

There are several mares in the Keeneland Jan sale that peak my interest but I want an infoal mare and some say believed Not to be infoal. So my question is: Is there a vet who can pregnancy check for potential buyers and 2) If the mare is sold as Not infoal but actually produces a live foal, who pays the stud fee?

merse
Allowance Winner

Postby merse » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:21 pm

Usually a sales company requires a Veterinary Certificate of foaling status within a set number of days before the sale. Most of the rules say that you can get your money back if you buy her in foal and then you find out she is not in foal. However, this is usually if you have her checked post-sale but before removing her from the sales grounds. Once you do that, you have all the risk.

Also, there are usually several vets at the sales that you can pay a nominal fee to do a check for you.

I am not sure but, in answer to your second question, I think the purchaser of the season would be responsible.

LB
Eclipse Champion

Postby LB » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:41 pm

If a mare in the January sale says "believed to be not pregnant" the chances of her actually being in foal are miniscule. You'd be better off concentrating your search on the mares that are listed as pregant--some of which won't be, and in that case the consignor will tell you when you go to see the mare.

Either way, as merse said, you should have the mare foal-checked before she leaves the grounds. There will be plenty of vets on hand who can do that for you.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:46 am

Sometimes, also, the mare will be in the catalog as "pregnant" but on the board where the amount of the current bid is displayed, "not pregnant" will be displayed in red. That means that the mare had a change in status after the catalog was printed. Chances of a mare getting all the way to the January sale on a 2010 cover and the vets there being wrong about her pregnancy status are slim to none. Even on a late cover, the fetus would be at least the size of cocker spaniel.

It looks like a good place to pick up bargains.. unfortunately I will be out of town that entire week. :(
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

westover
Allowance Winner

Postby westover » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:23 pm

Amy time I've purchased a mare at amy sale im the U.S. I've had her checked as soom as I've purchased her, to comfirm for myself that she is imfact pregmamt. Sorry for all the "M's" I'm missimg a letter from my key board :(
Horse Radish

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:23 am

What letter are you missmg from your keyboard?

Its mot somethimg that is apparemt from readimg your post?

oliverstoned
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby oliverstoned » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:15 pm

fummy