Louisiana open mixed sale

Talk about upcoming sales or auction results.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

sulphurfire
Allowance Winner

Louisiana open mixed sale

Postby sulphurfire » Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:57 am

I was looking through the online catalog of this sale and wondered if anyone had any opinions on these hip #'s and what prices they should range as.

Here's the sale link: http://www.horseauctions.com/cgi-bin/20 ... sire::1332

hip #'s 0024 Ivor's pass, 0019 madeline's gift, 0108 mulberrywine, 0031 lucky road, 0001press

ageecee
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby ageecee » Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:33 pm

Dont know about the Hip #'s but i can tell you that broodmares have gone up in the last 2 years due to the slots at every track now.

sulphurfire
Allowance Winner

Postby sulphurfire » Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:33 pm

Any idea on what the decent mares have been selling for? Thanks ageecee

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:47 pm

I don't know if anyone has been following legislation in KY, but recently a bill passed the House allowing $14mil in sales tax revenue from stud fees to be diverted to create a breeders' incentive fund. In other news, the February 13-14 Fasig Tipton Winter Mixed sale (usually mostly a bargain bin) experienced an overall increase of OVER FORTY-SEVEN PERCENT in prices.

Re your sale, I would be surprised if #019 brought less than $20K based on what I saw go at F-T.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

BJ
Horse of the Year

Postby BJ » Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:21 pm

madelyn wrote:I don't know if anyone has been following legislation in KY, but recently a bill passed the House allowing $14mil in sales tax revenue from stud fees to be diverted to create a breeders' incentive fund.

Yeah, just what is needed: PAYING people to breed horses. :roll:

KAL
Starters Handicap

Postby KAL » Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:09 pm

As a matter of fact, it is exactly what is needed... paying people to produce horses who get to the track, get to the finish line, (and repeat...)

Breeders Incentives actually reward people for breeding sound, useful horses. This gives the people who try to breed quality athletes and do so commercially a much better chance. It also will encourage more breed-to-race operations.

Better for the industry, better for the horse, better for the breeder...
Somehow, I don't see much wrong with that...

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:40 pm

I agree with KAL, it has long been overdue.. this will let the breeder breed the best individual with less regard for the "commercial" aspect of the foal because of the long term reward potential in the breeders rewards. In my particular case, it will permit me to take losses selling my stallion's first year babies. I have FULL Faith in his ability to produce excellent, sound, fleet horses, but I was a bit dismayed at the prospects of not much income over the next year. It is much easier to take if I know down the road some of the money will come back. I, for one, was doing the :lol: happy dance over the bill getting through the house.

Michael
Allowance Winner

Postby Michael » Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:47 am

I haven't read the details of the KY legislation, but I can say that all breeder incentive programs are not the same--by any stretch. The same is true of stallion incentive programs.

California has an excellent program for both, even though eligibility rules differ for stallions and mares. Breeders' awards are paid on ALL races within CA, irrespective of their purse value. Stallion awards are NOT paid on all races--only the higher value races (stakes, allowance, maiden special weight, high claiming, etc.). Maiden claiming races and all lower level claiming races (usually $16,000 claiming price and below) do not qualify for stallion awards. Stallion awards are paid only on wins, except in stakes races, where they are paid down to third place. Breeders awards are paid across the board.

The net effect is that the better stallions receive the higher awards; yet the poorer quality racehorses can earn breeders' awards. There is a disparity in this, but as a long time advocate for small breeders, I'm not sure it should be rectified. There are enough small breeders being drowned out of the business in CA as it is (including several posters on this forum who are on their way out).

KAL or Madelyn, how is the KY incentive program structured at this point?

KAL
Starters Handicap

Postby KAL » Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:35 pm

Beats the heck out of me... I'm just happy they now have one.

I can only pray that it does not award the stallion, at least not with these funds. These funds are derived solely from a tax paid by the owner of the mare, so I think it only logical that only the true "breeder" receive the awards. However, I know we are talking about Kentucky and the thoroughbred industry... worlds where logic is often a foreign thought.

I also hope they either find a way to collect the same tax on foal shares and farm breedings, or keep them from participating in the program. And, while it would be unpopular perhaps shareholders should have to pay something in to participate. The reasoning is simple... it has been estimated that the tax is not collected on 20 to 30% of the matings. Thus, those paying the tax, the other 70-80% would be carrying the burden for all.

Of course, this is the government and it would not be the first time they offered $$ to people who have put nothing into the system. So, that particular idea is not foreign to them.

We can only hope they provide a logical, ethical, and equitable method for collection and disbursement. However, even if they don't, this is a huge step forward. I'll always take 5% of something over 100% of nothing. Also, you cannot fix what does not exist.

Rick
Allowance Winner

Postby Rick » Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:00 pm

However, I know we are talking about Kentucky and the thoroughbred industry... worlds where logic is often a foreign thought.

I bet Michael thinks the same thing about California. :lol:

Michael
Allowance Winner

Postby Michael » Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:05 pm

[quote="Rick"]I bet Michael thinks the same thing about California. :lol:[/quote]

Who, me? Why, the California breeding industry is run by the most selfless, creative and intelligent people in the land! LOL!!!!!!!!!!

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:27 am

:lol: :lol: Guys, I think they were pretty astonished it passed the House of Reprehensibles oops Representatives... I don't think they have a plan of how to DISTRIBUTE the bounty, if they do they haven't unveiled it. I hope, too, that it is a true breeder's incentive, though, with the lion's share going to the dam's owner (the breeder) but I can't help hoping there might be a little kicker for the stallion. Rocking Trick accepts all donations...GUESS WHAT??? They actually have an advertising budget here this year for the HORSE INDUSTRY! There was actually a commercial on local television last night. Way cool.

LSB
Grade II Winner

Postby LSB » Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:10 am

madelyn, that television commercial you saw last night was funded by KEEP (Kentucky Equine Education Program) and is the next step after the billboards that have been all over Lexington recently, saying things like "Welcome to New York, the Horse Capital of the World!"

Very eye-catching stuff. :)

sulphurfire
Allowance Winner

Postby sulphurfire » Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:00 am

Well #019 brought $3,800. Prices weren't very high at all.
"The rewards, whether for winning or for losing, offer almost irresistible temptations to race a two-year-old more times than are good for them." John Hay Whitney at the annual testimonial dinner in October 1963 for the Thoroughbred Club of America