Keeneland - wow.

Talk about upcoming sales or auction results.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

madelyn

Keeneland - wow.

Postby madelyn » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:25 am

Been watching Keeneland all week and all I can say is wow. Great numbers. I got so pumped I have entered two Rocking Trick yearlings in Fasig Tipton October (the book "really" closed this past Friday, the 16th).
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Zahrah
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Zahrah » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:14 am

Its a bit of a weird sale. Prices are super strong yet there's quite a few VERY nice yearlings who are vetting and scoping clean that are nice physicals who aren't bringing much.

We bought the half-sister to Honey Ryder yesterday and I feel like we stole her.

My agent also picked up two Unbridled's Song fillies who were fantastic for 25 and 20 and he also got a Pulpit colt earlier in the week for like 30 that also passed all inspections with flying colors.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:27 am

There are, I am sure, bargains to be had.. but the prices are remaining STRONG compared to prior years and it seems not as many RNA's...

LB
Eclipse Champion

Postby LB » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:40 pm

Prices are strong if you have 2 buyers that really want what you have. If your yearling doesn't attract the right attention, prices are very low. It looks like by the time the sale is over at least 40% of the yearlings that passed through the ring will have sold or RNA'd for stud fee or below. There are lots of 80, 90, 100K sales that look good on the surface (and raise the average and median) until you realize that the stud fee paid to produce the yearling was 100K or higher.

Zahrah
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Zahrah » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:02 pm

Exactly. The sale appears a lot stronger than it is, at least from our experience.

There's a TON of very well-bred bargains to be had who don't have many chinks in their armor.

Discovery
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Discovery » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:45 am

I have 2 in today, 2697 and 2716. I'm very nervous! This is my first time selling, and I prepped them myself.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:02 am

LB wrote:Prices are strong if you have 2 buyers that really want what you have. If your yearling doesn't attract the right attention, prices are very low. It looks like by the time the sale is over at least 40% of the yearlings that passed through the ring will have sold or RNA'd for stud fee or below. There are lots of 80, 90, 100K sales that look good on the surface (and raise the average and median) until you realize that the stud fee paid to produce the yearling was 100K or higher.

That is no different than it has been. What is different is that the horse is bringing 80, 90 or 100K where in past years it was half that. Stud fees are, and have been, just too high. But so long as breeders will sign the contracts, bring the mares to fill the books, and pay the fees, while taking it on the chin at the sales, fees will continue to be too high.

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:39 am

I'm wondering if the buyers' will hold out for the latter sessions. While its a good sign that the earlier books did relatively well, I hope it holds out - I have my doubts. In fact, it could be worse if buyers overspent early, they may not even consider prospects in later books. We'll see.

jm

PS - Best wishes for your two Discovery.. Every has to start somewhere, why not Kee Sep.
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

Crystal
Freshman Sire

Postby Crystal » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:06 am

WE have hip 2750 and 2776. We sell today and I have been shocked by the amount of times our 2 have been out and the looks they have got in the repository.. I'm very excitied to see where they end up.

Crossing my fingers for everyone who has horses in!!! BIG MONEY!!!

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:00 am

Discovery wrote:I have 2 in today, 2697 and 2716. I'm very nervous! This is my first time selling, and I prepped them myself.

Just out of curiousity, why is 2697 KTDF and 2716 just "foaled in Kentucky"?

Best wishes to Discovery and Crystal on selling today. Is it an illusion or does it seem like there is a lot more foreign money this year? Since the US dollar has sunk so far against the other currencies of the world, perhaps our horses look like bargains now? I remember back when the US dollar was hovering around two to one on the Canadian dollar I thought the Canadian Thoroughbred sales offered a great value.. perhaps now that the Canadian dollar is looking the US dollar in the eye the reverse is true?

Affirmed1
Allowance Winner

Zarah: I am beyond thrilled for you

Postby Affirmed1 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:24 am

[quote="Zahrah"]Its a bit of a weird sale. Prices are super strong yet there's quite a few VERY nice yearlings who are vetting and scoping clean that are nice physicals who aren't bringing much.

We bought the half-sister to Honey Ryder yesterday and I feel like we stole her.

My agent also picked up two Unbridled's Song fillies who were fantastic for 25 and 20 and he also got a Pulpit colt earlier in the week for like 30 that also passed all inspections with flying colors.[/quote]

Zahrah: I'm a Cuando Quiere (dam of Honey Ryder) fan and I've followed her progeny with interest for years. I could not understand why her foal wasn't in the select portion of the sale, or why she only brought $62K. The Henny Hughes blood should work well with C.Q., and your girl has great broodmare potential. I am thrilled you got her and I hope you will keep us updated on her progress. Very, very happy for you! :D :D :D

Zahrah
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Zahrah » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:54 am

Good luck to those selling today!

Affirmed1, she was a last minute entry into the sale, from what I understand. This filly was NOT prepped much at all. She's also in a funny growth spurt and she needs some groceries.

A friend of mine consigned Honey Ryder back in the day and said they look extremely similar, physically.

Let's see what happens... either way, she's the new crown in my broodmare band... or will be, at least.

Mood Swings
Grade II Winner

Postby Mood Swings » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:25 am

Goodluck Discovery and Crystal!!
"People come and go but horses leave hoofprints on your heart"

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:39 pm

[quote="Crystal"]WE have hip 2750 and 2776. We sell today and I have been shocked by the amount of times our 2 have been out and the looks they have got in the repository.. I'm very excitied to see where they end up.

Crossing my fingers for everyone who has horses in!!! BIG MONEY!!![/quote
]

Couldn't believe that Crystal's Street Boss went so low??? Dam as a full sis to Kafwain. The Lawyer Ron colt did a lot better.

Discovery's two went for $35k and $37k.

Any thoughts Crystal or Discovery on the outcomes?

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

Discovery
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Discovery » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:40 pm

I was really upset that the henry went for so little. He was one of the better looking henrys I had seen. The good thing is that both went to people I had approached, and are really good homes. Henry went to a Japanese guy that lives locally, even he couldn't believe he got him for that price. The broken vow went to dale romans who I think will really love her. So far I've sold 2 through the ring and one privately. I paid 70k for 5 weanlings, and have sold 3 for 132k. I have 2 more to sell in book 6. I guess I can't complain too much. I was just a bit disappointed.