Pegasus Sale

Talk about upcoming sales or auction results.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

Bill from WA
Breeder's Cup Contender

Pegasus Sale

Postby Bill from WA » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:57 pm

http://www.pegasushorsesale.com/

I'm kind of liking hip #15.
Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is like a broken winged bird that cannot fly.

Langston Hughes

Tappiano
Grade II Winner

Postby Tappiano » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:31 pm

nice pedigree but couldn't they have chosen to take pictures of these horses a few days after they had been shod? None of them seem to be standing "productively" and while I am far from a conformation expert none seem to be standing properly because I cannot see that many having too weak or too upright pasterns... not to even bother talking about the shoulder in relation to them.

cewright
Allowance Winner

Postby cewright » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:42 pm

Bill

What about #7. It is rare to see a cross on Exclusive Native. I would think this could be a serious 2 turn turf horse. I wonder how it got from VA to WA?

Thanks

Chuck

Bill from WA
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Bill from WA » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:52 pm

Hi Chuck

I agree on your assessment of hip#7. Nice turf pedigree. I don't know how he got to Washington, but Dr. Dedomenico (owner of Pegasus) has a lot of friends in the industry. Pegasus is a world-class facility located near Seattle (just across Lake Washington). Dr. Dedomenico's father, Paskey owned the Mission Macaroni Company, the Golden Grain Macaroni Company, and the Ghirardelli Chocolate Company before selling to Quaker Oats just a year before he passed away in 1989. Paskey was a great guy and did a lot for horse racing in the Northwest. I had a lot of talks with him about racing. Dr. Dedomenico has carried on the legacy.

http://www.pegasustrainingcenter.com/about-pegasus.aspx
Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is like a broken winged bird that cannot fly.

Langston Hughes

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Re: Pegasus Sale

Postby Joltman » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:41 pm

Bill from WA wrote:http://www.pegasushorsesale.com/

I'm kind of liking hip #15.

I love anything with Sir Tristam close up. Wish more of that blood were up here.

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

tbrace
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby tbrace » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:24 am

Boy, those Southern Africa horses look nice. They are beautiful.

Any guesses on what kind of sire he will be?

tbrace
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby tbrace » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:25 am

Also, do we know if these horses will be galloped or run for speed or neither, at the pre-view?

pfrsue
Grade III Winner

Postby pfrsue » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:20 am

I don't know how he'll run, but I rather like #22. He's an April foal, so not quite as old as some of the others. Love his expression. lol

foothillsequine
Allowance Winner

Postby foothillsequine » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:56 pm

Here are the results.

http://www.pegasushorsesale.com/
~Dare to Dream~

jellac
Grade I Winner

Postby jellac » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:41 am

And here's a link to an article summarizing the Sale's success and noting one area for improvement -

http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/sales-news/2012/02/08/pegasus-thoroughbreds-two-year-old-sale-results.aspx#

Sounds like - overall - the Pegasus Sale organizers/backers have done their homework in building respect for the equine stock offered for bid among prominent/well known trainers and in their pre-sale presentations of the equine stock to be offered.

A tip o' the hat to them to have accomplished that out of a not on the beaten trail destination. (Not meaning to slam the quality of horses or horsemen based out of Redmond or Oregon in any way with that statement....just saying I'm impressed with the overall results from an auction in a town that isn't on the main map as a national center for racing or sales.) There's a lot other regional centers could learn from this. Well done.

A seperate 'tip o' the hat' to CEWright & Bill for picking out the Sale Topper > Good Eye, gents!! 8)

3phase
Yearling

Postby 3phase » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:28 pm

Silly question, but what does RNA mean?

I love #17 but that's what it says in his price. Crazy enough but I had a dream with 2 horses in it. One looked like my 5 yo and the other looked like this guy lol. I wish I had the money to buy something like this-I ended up with 2 ottbs that were free...for reasons lol. But hey, they are awesome too!!!

LB
Eclipse Champion

Postby LB » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:27 am

3phase wrote:Silly question, but what does RNA mean?

I love #17 but that's what it says in his price. Crazy enough but I had a dream with 2 horses in it. One looked like my 5 yo and the other looked like this guy lol. I wish I had the money to buy something like this-I ended up with 2 ottbs that were free...for reasons lol. But hey, they are awesome too!!!

RNA stands for Reserve Not Attained. It means that the seller put a minimum price on the horse and nobody bid that high so the horse did not sell. At most sales, they will tell you what the last bid was (it's listed in parentheses) so you have an idea what they buyers were asking.

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:22 am

I think Eoin Harty and Kathy Walsh got some really nice prospects.

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

tbrace
Restricted Stakes Winner

Mares' race records

Postby tbrace » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:23 pm

Interesting breeding philosophy at play here.

For many of the horses in the sale, the sire was much stronger than the mares' performance record, but not stronger than their breeding.

Seems race records of the mare were not as strong as with most sales featuring these sires.

Frankly, I like the idea. Much like Tesio's theory of racing using up all the breeding "energy" in a heavily raced mare.

Race or not, the genes are still there, aren't they?

Just my impression. Any thoughts?

Tappiano
Grade II Winner

Postby Tappiano » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:00 pm

I love a lot of Tesio's theory but part of that was also that if you took a mare off the track they needed enough time to regenerate the nervous energy so it's kind of contradictory because there's no benchmark for what he considered "time" to be. The pattern of sending mares off to the breeding shed "early" may have had as much to do with the limited gene pool or desire to "breed the best to the best" than anything else. Since females are born with all the eggs they will ever have and men constantly produce "new" sperm one could also speculate the "best" and brightest humans would be from young women as the eggs are "younger.

I agree 100% with his theory on how a speed influence should be up close in a pedigree for a stamina laden runner, and why a horse that can only run a mile on the "flat" can go over 2 miles on a steeplechase course.