STATUS OF OVERALL HORSE INDUSTRY SALES

Talk about upcoming sales or auction results.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

Shammy Davis
Chef de Race: Classic

STATUS OF OVERALL HORSE INDUSTRY SALES

Postby Shammy Davis » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:17 am

I recently read an interesting article about 2011 national sales in the overall horse industry being on the upswing in Western Horseman magazine (Feb 2012) Apparently, breeding in 2009 and 2010 breeders, particularly small breeders, curtailed their programs to such an extent that experts believe supply will be less than demand thus moving prices higher. The article includes the TB in these projections. They also suggest that now that horse slaughter is available this will help the market to find balance to its supply and demand problems.

aurora
Starters Handicap

Postby aurora » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:41 am

There was a segment on our local news two nights ago about all the horse rescue organizations being ovewhelmed. Hay here in OK is $110 a round bale and I've heard $12 for a small square. People are abandoning / giving them away because they can't afford to feed them. maybe prices at the top have firmed up but they are still weak or non-existant at the middle and bottom.

karenkarenn
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby karenkarenn » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:23 pm

Oh hey I just saw this post. Did anyone know that many states have a hay bank. Alot of times you can get hay for free or cheap.
K