2008 OBS Sales Toppers

Talk about upcoming sales or auction results.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

bayrabicano
Allowance Winner

2008 OBS Sales Toppers

Postby bayrabicano » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:39 am

I ran across a photo of this girl and she had a beautiful stride - Blood-Horse p 1102, Feb 23, 2008. She was Hip# 1 F Silver Deputy Daisy Dukes BUZZ CHACE, AGT. FOR WEST POINT TBS. & JOHN WILLIAMS $ 520,000 -

It made me wonder what she did on the track...

Boca Belle
Career Statistics:
Starts: 4
Firsts: 0
Seconds: 1
Thirds: 2
Earnings: $17,487

That made me wonder what the other sales toppers from 2008 did and if any are still racing (one is)...

161 Mythical Border F Johannesburg Border Dispute JOHN MC CORMACK BLOODSTOCK LLC 500,000 -

Mythical Border
3 Starts: 1 - 0 - 1, 12,178

3rd, Flying Childers S.-G2 (5fT,GB).

Won at first asking in the U.K. and placed in the Group 2 Flying Childers Stakes at Doncaster in her second start. Finished far back in her third race and hasn't run since.

128 C Speightstown Unbridled Lady JOHN MC CORMACK BLOODSTOCK LLC 475,000

Mared
Career Statistics:
Starts: 0
Seconds: 0
Thirds: 0
Earnings: $0

170 F Lion Heart Coffee Springs DEMI O'BYRNE 475,000

Pride
Career Statistics:
Starts: 7
Firsts: 1
Seconds: 3
Thirds: 1
Earnings: $66,230

33 C Friends Lake Incredible Me PADUA STABLES 450,000

Strosbourg
Career Statistics:
Starts: 11
Firsts: 2
Seconds: 4
Earnings: $81,820

130 F Montbrook Unlimited Pleasure PADUA STABLES 425,000 Jardin Career Statistics:
Starts: 6
Firsts: 3
Earnings: $168,836

20 C Hold That Tiger French Factor STEVE KLESARIS, AGT. FOR PUGLISI RACING 400,000 Montecore Career Statistics:
Starts: 29
Firsts: 8
Seconds: 4
Thirds: 7
Earnings: $218,080
Still Racing - last race 5/18/12 at Finger Lakes

125 C Indian Charlie Turquoise Bead WINSTAR FARM 400,000 Tribal Bead Career Statistics:
Starts: 17
Seconds: 5
Thirds: 2
Earnings: $74,075

146 C Forest Wildcat Added Time ANNESTES FARM 375,000 King Puma Career Statistics:
Starts: 5
Seconds: 2
Earnings: $107,900

76 C Fusaichi Pegasus Our Dear Ruth PADUA STABLES 360,000 Halsted Career Statistics:
Starts: 0
Seconds: 0
Earnings: $0

93 C Indian Charlie Rising Tide BUZZ CHACE, AGT. FOR WEST POINT TB. INC. & JOHN WILLIAMS 360,000 Siouxnami
Career Statistics:
Starts: 2
Earnings: $7,980
"The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it."
- Michelangelo

Barcaldine
Starters Handicap

Postby Barcaldine » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:45 am

Great investments! And imagine their residual values!

stlouiskid
Maiden Special Weight

Postby stlouiskid » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:03 pm

You know, I go to most of the sales, and sell some horses every now and then. It can be intimidating, but then I realized that the people who go around and act like experts and have such great reputations, really don't know any more than I do. They just walk the walk.
I would be willing to say that a lot of the folks on this board could do a better job of selecting sales horses.
I did a similar study a while back. I looked at all the horses John Ferguson(a supposed bloodstock genius) bought in 2007 and 2008. It is staggering. Tens of millions of dollars, and the vast majority of the horses were collosal failures. There were some good ones, like Desert Party. But most couldn't run a lick. And most of the broodmares that they bought in foal for another tens of millions have produced very little. Bloodstock agents do a great job of dismissing their failures.

jagger
Grade III Winner

ROI

Postby jagger » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:30 pm

I did a similar study last year, studying the last of the great years, 2005, I think it was. That year there were close to 40, yes forty, horses that sold for 7 figures. The AVERAGE ROI, Return on investment, was less than 20K. Clearly, those who are supposedly "in the know", don't know beans. :P

Barcaldine
Starters Handicap

Postby Barcaldine » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:02 am

Although I don't buy sales yearlings/2yo's I believe the best way to find racehorses is to watch them run in the field. In the "old days" most of your best trainers would do exactly that; even the large stable trainers would visit their owners' farms to observe the young horses in group action. This selection method takes more time and effort than showing up on auction day, which probably accounts for why it's so rarely done nowadays.

I wonder if some of the big spenders test drive their Bentleys and Ferraris, or if they just buy them off the showroom floor.

louis finochio
Darley line

Postby louis finochio » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:45 am

JF has bought high numbers of FB, he dosent knw the difference between a FB & NFB. He better learn how to read a pedigree, before his deep pockets become an also ran.
Those without sin cast the first stone.
Louis Finochio

Crystal
Freshman Sire

Postby Crystal » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:05 am

Really don't think "JF" gives 2 licks as long as the commis check clears Louis.. Really..

stlouiskid
Maiden Special Weight

Postby stlouiskid » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:18 am

Louis makes an interesting point. I mean at some point doesn't the sheik and the boys say what the heck, where are all our classic winners. Were buying the sales toppers at every venue, and most can't outrun a camel. I can guarantee their are plenty of other guys knocking on that door, saying give me a shot.
Ferguson better get it in gear, or one of these days they are going to give someone else a shot to find that Derby winner.

da hossman
Allowance Winner

Postby da hossman » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:11 pm

Just left the Fasig July Sale which is very strong for the good horses - an Afleet Alex for $250,000!! Casse bought that one...It is a bit of an all or nothing sale as everyone knows many more yearlings will be sold in the next 90 days so no reason to compromise too much now.

Not that I believe Ferguson to be a genius, but in his defense I know that he is sometimes told simply "buy that horse" without his opinion or advice consulted. Their program is a blackhole, so everyone that owns the dam of a horse sold to Darley finds it bittersweet - the big money is there on the frontend, but they know that horse is not likely to "make" their mare.

As an agent I am frustrated by some "big name agents" who discuss horses in black and white terms - "good" or "no good". Anyone who has studied the game knows there are no sure things, there are likelihoods. Good horses come in all shapes and sizes (very imortant to note the number of big "big sale" horses that do not stay sound because they are simply too big) and no one can predict with even 75% accuracy a successful racing career. Hell once the horse is bought for six figures it is an hourly groom and driver that load him on the van, accidents happen!

Let's face it, the game is not logical and if it were then only the sheikhs, Phipps and perhaps Farish would be racing. Thank God it is not science!
A difference of opinion is what makes horse racing and missionaries.

Will Rogers

louis finochio
Darley line

Postby louis finochio » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:10 pm

Big bone heavy tbs, place too much weight on their underpining. I perfer a tb that has a strong bone structure, good balance, & everything in porportion. I have seen prolific numbers of tb tht are the blocky QH type, become sore when just walked, their body is too heavy for their legs.
Those without sin cast the first stone.

Louis Finochio

ElPrado
Grade II Winner

Postby ElPrado » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:36 am

If they are big boned, that means they have strong legs. That is what is being referred to when you call an animal big boned. Big bones would be carrying their bodies. Could you at least be clear on what you are talking about? :roll:

BenB
Sophomore Sire

Postby BenB » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:05 am

Big bones, does not implicate healthy strong bones. As only refered to the mass.

Too much body weight, does more harm. And it will take a lot of time and training for getting rid of. Special blankets will also help to get rid of the overweight.

Sales in the states are more likely beiing an beaty contest, with overfed young horses.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:59 am

I wonder if this is more anthromorphism - a lot of ladies who are really packing the weight claim to be "big boned". To me nothing is more unattractive than an obese or really overweight horse - well except a similary overweight human in a thong bathing suit. As contrary as the QH folks are with their horse terminologies, at least I have NEVER heard them refer to their halter horses as "big boned".

There are a lot of trainers, though who keep their horses pretty fat. I believe it is one of the things that contributes to breakdown. How many marathon runners do you see sporting love handles and beer bellies?
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

rudydee
Maiden Special Weight

Postby rudydee » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:45 am

I don't see Buzz Chace shopping for West Point the past several years.